November 15th, 2008

Schwarzenegger backs Clinton for State job

Schwarzenegger likes the idea of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State.
Schwarzenegger likes the idea of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State.

(CNN) – California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger weighed in on the possibility of Hillary Clinton becoming President-elect Barack Obama's Secretary State, praising the potential choice as a "great move."

"I think she is a very very bright woman and very experienced. I think this could be a great move," Schwarzenegger told ABC's George Stephanopoulos in an interview set to air Sunday.

But Schwarzenegger, a Republican, also suggested Obama must be sure he can work with his former primary rival before he officially offers her the position.

"When it comes to those kinds of positions, what is equally as important, and I know with my cabinet, what is equally as important as who is qualified, is who can you work with. Who can you sit down with and really get in there and start becoming a partner [with], that sees things the way you see it," he said.

"And also that you maybe want to learn from that person and admire that person so much that you want to pick up some pointers and learn from that person, so that they together can go out and do this," Schwarzenegger also said.

Sources told CNN Friday Obama met with Clinton in Chicago Thursday to gauge the New York senator's interest in the top diplomatic post. Sources also told CNN Obama is considering New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson for the position.

Clinton would not comment on the speculation Friday.

1. Tamara

Hillary as Secretary of State is a great idea. I was a strong supporter of Hillary during the primary and was disappointed during the general election that she was not our nominee but I am impressed by the choices that Obama has made to be in his administration. I am so sick of the attacks and fighting from both the far left and far right of the parties.

After all the attacks and crap that Hillary Clinton took during the primary she showed what she was made of and campaigned hard for Obama in the areas that he needed to win. Give credit to the Clintons and I mean both Bill and Hillary for the campaining they did in the central park of Florida that went heavily for Obama.

Obama is making the right choice by bringing in the most sucessful administration of all times. We had peace and prosperity when Clinton was in office and we will have it again. Obama said it himself when Bill campaigned with him in Florida. Bill Clinton is loved and respected around the world and we do need another Clinton to clean up this mess.

November 15, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  2. Frank G

If Arnold suggest Hillary is the best choice then I say Obama better look for another person.

Arnolds opions is worth about a plug nickol.

Colin Powell would be my first pick, also my second and third pick

November 15, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  3. Bell

Who cares what he thinks. He should spend all his brain power trying to put out that fire and dealing with that budget in his own state. we already witnessed his judgement he picked McCain.

November 15, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  4. Kevtop

We've all been duped by the party label! Schwarzwnegger, mark my word, will be rewarded by the democrats, who will scrap the 22 amendment to the constitution, which will allow him to run for president.

November 15, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  5. Will18E

Hay Arnold, pay attention to your job. Gov. Grey Davis was recalled and replaced with you, because you said you could get the job done.
    But California's financial situation has worsened under you acting skills.
    So keep you eye on the local ball., please forget and don't think about what's going on 3000 miles away from your duties.

November 15, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  6. Jasmine in Germany

Sorry, the world stage is upset with Clinton. Her comment during the primaries "...totally obliterate them [Iran]" was too much of the "undiplomatic cowboy shoot first, ask questions later" USA bully image. If Obama really wants change, he should recognize that Clinton is not of stock to be Secretary of State. There are much better choices, even Republican ones.

November 15, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  7. JNC, California

First of all, I live in Cali and he needs to work on this state so who really cares about "I'll be back." We are no better off then with Gray Davis, he is only commenting now that Obama won...As for S.O.S I like Bill Richardson, Clinton wouldn't be a bad choice, but I don't trust Bill....He still seems like he is resentful, but trying to play it off for the best interest of the country....Remember White Water, they have alot of skeltons in their closet. Barack will choose the best candidate for the job/country!!!! He does his homework!!!

November 15, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  8. DeVone

Barack Obama inteligent human being this man has studied
    America, people the country and what ever else he need to know
    true he is human and he can make mistakes all so BUT
    he told us "I will not be a prefect president but I will do my
    very best and I will be there to answer your questions this is
    a person who knows American can put up with a mistake
    but America is no longer in the mood for an unfair
    administration

November 15, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  9. Justin G

The Gropenfuhrer is no Republican. He's not even a C(c)onservative. He's a Globalist.

This society disgusts me. I'm ashamed of my fellow Americans, and myself, for putting up on high pedestals CELEBRITIES, who don't have a clue what normal America is, nor what it stands for.

Lord help us all.

November 15, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  10. CCT

Where is the change? Oh, I get it. He is changing from a Bush Administration to a Clinton 3rd Administration. Come on Barry...let's see some original ideas. And B.O. had better watch his back around Bill Richardson.

November 15, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  11. libs be dopes

Our RINO Gov.oner supports ............suprised?

November 15, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  12. PeteO

Proof that smoking even a little pot causes brain damage.

November 15, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  13. Benjamin

Arnold may be a republican but he governs like a sensible democrat. I agree with his endorsement of Hilliary for Secretary of State. It is also imperative that Obama establishes a good rapport with her. Remember this is still Bill Clintons wife and will come with some of the built-in Clinton influence. However I have confidence in the Obama machine that methodically rolled from announcing his bid to be president all the way to the White House. Hilliary and Richardson would both be exceptional candidates for the position. I know this is probably a very difficult decision for Obama to make. I hope that each of these bright dedicated civil servants will be a part of a Obama administration.

November 15, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  14. julio

the governor is probably a conservative democrat.

November 15, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  15. Pat in IL

Some of the comments about "old politics", etc. are worrying me, because those people aren't thinking about the value of using people who are experienced enough to know the ropes. That's different than staying with the "old boys club".

November 15, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  16. waltainfo

I likes that.

November 15, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  17. Gambi

Moderate Republicans are reasonable and will give credit where credit is due, The only serious nay sayers in the party are the extreme conservatives who wouldn;t give Obama credit if God were chosen by Obama to serve in his cabinet.
    Thanks Arnold for your supportive comments about Obama considering Hillary for Secretary of State.

November 15, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  18. Eric

What a mess the United States will be with a president with no experience. CLinton should have won and everyone knows it!!!! THIS BS president will ruin the world!!!

Just wait when the US is in a worst state than it is in now!

HILLARY PLEASE TAKE OVER!

November 15, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  19. earle,florida

Ah, yes, keep your friends close,but your enemy's closer! Clinton would be nuts to except this position ,"courier de jour",on a leash. Yep, Obama has to make peace, but at what price ,and subtle humiliation. It' bad enough that he won by riding her coattails (mixing phrases/ rhetoric, and juxtaposing Hillary's messages) always as the latter speaker in the debates. Choosing Kerry is a joke, and Richardson's no more a (remember N.Korea & suicide? in US freed hostage incident in our own country) negotiator than Condi (the puppetteer) Rice! There's one choice I would like him to make ,and it's Clinton' first SoS Mr. Holbrook ,a no-nonsense SOB!

November 15, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  20. Jeremy

Schwarzenegger should be Secretary of State!

November 15, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  21. bill for barack

This is the bright boy who thought Sarah Palin would make a wonderful vice president.
    One more vote for Bill Richardson.

November 15, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  22. Karen

Picking Hilliary would be a mistake. That is why Arnold is endorsing the idea as he knows that Hilliary in such a top spot would create a rift as evidenced in her unprofessional, shrewd behavior during the democratic primaries.

November 15, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  23. mmd

Talk about a major waste of space. Who in the He– cares about arnie.

He had the nerve to state that he is back in the bedrom. To do what, count sheep?

November 15, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  24. Mark

Schwarzenegger is UNQUALIFIED to comment on Obama's selection for Secretary of State. This is above his pay grade. Arnold is a governor of a state, Obama is going to be president of the nation. Who cares what Arnold thinks. He's not even a good governor. His focus should be on improving the state of California and its poor educational system and other problems.

If you are not doing a great job at your own position, you should not comment on how another person should perform a higher position.

November 15, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  25. Al, Connecticut

If we wanted another Clinton in the administration, she would be president elect right now. Barack has made a politically expedient move, as evidenced by Arnold's endorsement. I, for one, have had my confidence in Barack Obama shaken by this announcement. I guess it politics as usual, and change we can all now have some doubt about. I can't believe Barack has made me a cynical about his Presidency, and he hasn't even picked out the drapes. Barack, read our lips, no more Clintons.

November 15, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |