November 17th, 2008

Huckabee settling old scores?

Huckabee's new book is out Tuesday.
Huckabee's new book is out Tuesday.

(CNN) - Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee appears to be settling scores with two Republicans he battled during his bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

According to Time Magazine, Huckabee takes shots at onetime rivals Mitt Romney and Fred Thompson in his new book hitting stores Tuesday, a move that is likely to fuel speculation that the former Arkansas governor still harbors White House ambitions.

On Romney, Huckabee sharply criticizes the former Massachusetts governor for shifting positions on key conservative issues shortly before he decided to run for the White House, saying his record was "anything but conservative until he changed the light bulbs in his chandelier in time to run for president."

Huckabee also lashes out at Romney for what he said was the former governor's refusal to offer congratulations when Huckabee was the surprise winner of the crucial Iowa caucuses in January. Many political observers say it was that loss that ultimately derailed Romney's bid for the Oval office.

“It’s hard to imagine Romney losing the GOP nomination after winning the Iowa caucuses,” notes CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. “Combine Romney’s deep pockets with the momentum of an Iowa win and a campaign shifting back to Romney’s home turf for the New Hampshire primary, and the most likely scenario is a Romney nomination by Super Tuesday.”

On Fred Thompson, the former senator and television actor who jumped into the Republican presidential race significantly later than the other candidates, Huckabee calls his campaign "amazingly lackluster."

"Fred Thompson never did grasp the dynamics of the race or the country, and his amazingly lackluster campaign reflected just how disconnected he was with the people, despite the anticipation and expectation that greeted his candidacy," Huckabee writes.

Filed under: Extra • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. Dal CA

Ah those grapes from New England and the Thompson grapes are sour.

November 17, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  2. GARY

HUCKABEE IS LIKE MCCAIN AND PALIN, THE REAL DEAL .

November 17, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  3. G.R.I.T. - Girl Raised in the South

The last thing we need in the White House, a sour grapes former minister who believes strongly in "conservative" issues, i.e. values. Talk about some big government getting into your bedroom and your doctor's office.

November 17, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  4. Larry

Mike–I won't be buying your book–it looks like it full of more negatives.

November 17, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  5. Jon Davis

I would never vote for Huckaby because I'm not a radical, extremist, Bible-thumping fanatic who thinks that the Stone Age never happened or that dinosaurs ate humans.

However, I think Huckabee is much more honest than his fellow Republicans. And if we are going to have a fundamentalist creationist fanatic running for president, Huckabee is much brighter otherwise than Sarah Palin.

November 17, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  6. delighted democrat in jacksonville florida

WOW.... and the infighting continues..lol

hey huckabee.. get a clue,, you all suck!!!

November 17, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  7. ron

The GOP reminds me of a movie I saw. "ALIVE" For those of you that have not seen this movie. Plane crash victims eat there dead to survive. I think the GOP would eat there young if they thought they could get ahead.

How could anyone trust these people?

November 17, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  8. Vic

All the backbiting in the republican party is laughable.... they're all clueless in my opinion. LOL

November 17, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  9. Janice Illinois

I'm not claiming either party but have some advice for Republicans, Forget everything and everbody you know in your party. There has to be somebody out there that is new and interesting for your group. I'll tell you one thing that is certain , If your putting all your eggs in the basket of Sarah Palin, just go ahead and wring the necks of your chickens. Your party is over if that's the case.

November 17, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  10. Andy

Palin-Huckabee 2012

November 17, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  11. Vickie

I quess people like Huckabee will do just about anything for a dime!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame on you Mike.....

November 17, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  12. tyler (portland, OR)

Anyone ever see that movie I heart Huckabees?

always reminds me of that when i hear about this stiff.

But to be clear, he is a stiff. Maybe not as much as McCain's Arms... but still.

Althought i think he had a better chance than McCain did. At least he looks like he'd survive for the next.... 4 years? Couldnt say that about mccain.

I love how out of touch, old and crochety the GOP is. Makes it easy to be a democrat.

Palin/Huckabee 2012!

November 17, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  13. Cynthia - Arkansas

The whole Republican Party is in disarray. They will all start to come out against each other soon. Just wait until Bush leaves office! It's every man for himself.

November 17, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  14. Allan

The circular firing squad is forming.

November 17, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  15. B. Thompson

As someone who is mostly dem. leaning I really like Gov. Huckabee. All through the Repub. primaries I told all my friends and family that this guy is someone I could see as my president. The one thing that I will always remember is the Repub. debate in TX when someone asked him "why is it that most African-Americans are raised with the same principles that Repubs. run on but yet they hardly vote repub"?. Huckabee said " because they don't speak to them enough". I thought WOW this guy hit the nail right on the head. I'm black and I agree with a lot of things SOME repubs. represent. But there are those few repubs. that screw it up for all.

November 17, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  16. Sandy

Meow?

November 17, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  17. Josh Maloney, Oakland, CA

The blame game does nothing for restoring the Republican Brand.

November 17, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  18. Rich

Who cares?

November 17, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  19. David T.

Say what you will, Huckster, but the deafening applause for Romney at the GOP convention compared with the polite clapping you got speaks volumes about who should have won the primary. Your prejudicial influence on the Religious Right robbed a good man of his shot at the White House.

November 17, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  20. Woodman

Wow. And Huckabee is the nice guy. Imagine all the fighting and scrambling we're yet to see as the GOP tries to find a new leader. Reagan's eleventh commandment about Republicans not attacking each other has been tossed out the window.

November 17, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  21. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

For as Christian as the Republicans claim to be, they sure do sling mud at each other! One thing is to attack an opponent during a campaign, its quite another to attack when there is nothing to be gained but a boost for your inflated ego.

Again I say, until the Republicans take the high road, and quit their bullying tactics and vile politics of hate, lies, fear and division they will not see victory. We, the People, are sick and tired of the politics of personal attacks and lies.

November 17, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  22. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

Mike, I think you're a nice guy, but but so long as you commingle politics and religion, you're not going to get my support–I just can't trust the judgment of people who take religion–institutionalised, codified, superstition–seriously.

November 17, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  23. Nannie Bouroughs

Well, what would you expect?

After all, Huckabuck is a CHRISTIAN...

November 17, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  24. Susan

Sounds like the guy knows what he's talking about.

November 17, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  25. Polly

I would like to see the members of the GOP put aside their differences. It's not good publicity and will not help their party in the future. They sound like children.

November 17, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |