November 18th, 2008

Clinton still millions in debt

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - A source tells CNN that Barack Obama's presidential campaign raised $800,000 to help pay down Senator Hillary Clinton's debt from her bid for Democratic presidential nomination.

An aide to Clinton says that the Senator from New York has $7.6 million in debt remaining from her primary campaign. Clinton was over $20 million in the red after she gave up her campaign and endorsed Obama following the end of the primary season in early June. About half of that figure was money she owed herself after loaning her own campaign over $12 million dollars.

An aide to the president-elect says that the Obama campaign will disclose how much money they have left over from their run for the White House when the campaign files a financial report with the Federal Election Commission on December 4.

1. Indyfan

You people are full of hatered or plain ignorant. And who – after journalism-major shamelessly English-handicapped Palin – can wonder anymore about detiorating use of language? HRC repeated many times that she is not concerend about repaying her own loan to her campaign and did not do any fundrasing for that. Money owned are owned to some business for rent, supplies and her poltiical consultant M.Penn's bad advice (and he may wait a long time to get his payment). She raised millions for Obama's campaign after dropping put of the race and held 60 (!!!) rallies and/or fundraiser events while campaigning for Obama, that's a lot and should be enough who still question her commitment to the party and its cause.

I seriously doubt that Obama and especially his supporters would do the same had he lost.

The modern tradition, not the rules, has been that a winner helps the "looser" with campaign debts. It is a graceful thing to do but also a practical thing for the winner to do because it brings the party unity back and frees the former priamry rival's time to campaign for the nominee instead of fundrasing for themselves.

Don't forget that HRC got as many – 18 mln votes as Obama did. He won on superdelegate and caucase count so it is not like he was a trully first choice for a half of the Dems. So even if some of you don't like her, she has defintely deserves the respect for her work to have a Democrat as president and a lot of new people in Congress (she campaigned just as hard for Cngressional candidates this season since she did not have to defend her seat this year).

November 18, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  2. Aliou

It's her debt to herself. she should be able to write that off. I t scares me that she might run again and folks are going to forget this run, and still give her some more money to give away to the TV liars....

I was dismayed anyone gave her any money went it was clear she was talking against another democrat to the point of saying that mcsame was better.

I don't understand the pardon of the buffon who supported mcbush and patin against Obama. What was his name again?

November 18, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  3. Former Repub Old White Female

I was neither an Obama supporter, nor a Clinton supporter. I supported McCain until his Palin pick. Having said that, why should anybody help Hillary get out of debt? I think she would make a GREAT Sec of State though. She was way behind in the polls, yet still continued to spend spend spend. I don't understand why anybody (homeowners, banks, politicians, the auto industry) can spend money like water, then expect others to pay off their debt. She spent the money, let her pay it back. At the end of her campaign, it was obvious she had no chance. That was when EGO kicked in and wouldn't let her drop out gracefully. Why should anybody pay for her ego to be stroked? She has book deals, her husband gets paid to simply give a speech. Who is gonna sit here and tell me that the Clintons don't have a couple of million in the bank! She loaned her campaign the cash, her campaign didn't pay, she ran the campaign, so in essence, she didn't pay herself back!!!!!! Why should others clean up her debts? Did other people approve her loaning campaign money based on the fact that if the campaign defaulted on her, others would insure payment?

November 18, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  4. Boered1

the liar hillary is now left to pay off the debt she ran up because her hubris would not allow her to admit defeat, too bad, not at all sad, between her and her international money launderin.. err hubby, they can afford to pay it off themselves it is NOT president (elect) Obama's responsibility to pay off the debt for the liar hillary it is HER debt let her (and her PUMAs) pay it off. After all all she would need to do is make a speech telling all the idiotic PUMAs that she did it for them and now needs their help to bail herself out and they will all send her $100.. well I guess to pay off her debt the PUMAs would have to send her more than that each....

As for state she does not have the knowledge base or the political base for this job she needs to go back to the senate and hope NY doesn't vote her out next time....

November 18, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  5. carol

I don't care how much in debt Hillary is in.......I hope Obama won't be paying it off for her, that is her problem.

November 18, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  6. Farrell, Houston, Tx

NO PLAYER HATING ON MY PART. AS A OBAMA SUPPORTER, IF ASKED WE WILL ALL HELP. HILLARY IS ONE OF OURS.

November 18, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. nick

hey, that's what you get for being adamant

November 18, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  8. Simmy

Mr. Bloomberg, please help a Sister Senator Clinton out!

November 18, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  9. why

why should obama help pay back money that was spent on her campaign against him...this is to funny!!!

November 18, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. jimizulu

Where are all those loyal PUMAs and those "I'm gonna vote for McCain if Obama win the Primaries. A buck a peice should do the trick ;-)

November 18, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  11. Richard from Knoxville

Obama is looking at HRC for some sort of cabinet post or possibly the Sup. Court - Maybe the Clintons are looking to make up some "small" shortfalls with positional gifts -

My personal feelings - Hillary, Bill, and Chelsea just need to suck it up - Millions of the campaign money spent was probably for Bill and Chelsea's support and speaking salaries - Regarding an Apointment -

- To entrust international responsibity to a person who cannot 1) Run or organize a campaign without going bankrupt – 2) Is totally self-centered [why didn't she quit when she knew she was going to loose - only vanity] – 3) Is a blatent Hawk (paraphrased - Screw with me buddy and I'll nuke you out of existiance) -

- And I think, regardless of the PUMA and other pro-Hillary rants - a Supreme Court Justice should not have a problem with honesty & integirity - as in "Think- They'll-Miss-the-White-House-Silverware-Gate, Travel-Gate, Whitewater-Gate, etc.

November 18, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. TJ

HRC used her own money and now she wants to be paid back. If that's the case, then I want someone to give me the money I borrowed from my Thrift Savings Account.

November 18, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. john's son

I believe that Barach should select Bill to tackle the global warming intiative. He would be the ideal person to lead the hot air expedition.

November 18, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  14. JL

Wow. Right wingers are just looking for a reason to hate so they can work themselves up to a frenzy and be unneccesarily negative. I guess it is pretty easy to use hate and fear to brainwash people. It only took Rove 8 years.

Just remember, haters, we gave your guy a chance for 8 years. Now it's time for you to give our guy a chance. I bet the bank (if there were any left after the Bush administration) that my guy does a much better job.

November 18, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  15. Stephanie

Totally agree with NickNas and Scott NYC Independent. Greed, spite , narcissism (cutting her nose to spite her face) are responsible for her present predicament. It makes me doubt if she will really be a good Sec of State.

November 18, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  16. Joe Texas

I believe that Obama should help Clinton cause he won cause she helped him win and for all those people who say she should have got out,
    IShe had a valid reason to stay untill they counted FL and MI, but Obama won cause she helped him and I would have never voted for him if she wouldn't of had helped, and regardless what Hillary does she will always be the great leader, And we should never forget all the good they did for the country, I wish her well if she get's Sec of State or if she runs again in 4 years And I hope that the next time they count all 50 states

November 18, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  17. LyonsPhilly

Well thank goodness he's not making her Sect of Treasury...Whew.

November 18, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  18. Les, Utah

I can't understand how anyone can say America is going to hell in a handbasket after enduring 8 years of the current administration. There's no way we can go any lower. Why not open your mind and try thinking?
    I don't know if it's possible to dig us out of the hole(s) we're in from the shenanigans of Bush, Mr. Arrogance Cheney, and the rest of their wrecking crew.
    Why not give Obama a chance, with all of us helping him instead of constantly criticizing him before he has had a chance to make a mistake.
    One thing I think we can count on is recognition and admission when he does err, and that will be refreshing.
    At least we won't have to listen to a constant stream of lies, lose more of our liberties, and so on and so on.

November 18, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  19. james, newport, KY

obama will just borrow some money from the crooks that got him elected and "redistribute" it to the "needy", i.e. Hillary.

November 18, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  20. Gary, Georgia

Why doesn't HRC just ask her husband for the money? Hell, he raised over $500 million for a foundation of his that used most of the money for his Presidential Library. He ought to be able to ask some of his "buddies" to give the money to pay off her debt. Personally, I think she should have to pay back every penny! and as to the $12 million she used of her own money….BYE BYE $12 million!

November 18, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  21. shelli

I guess those 8 million cracks in the ceiling was just that because no money has fallen through them. Where are all of those women, all 8 million women that were so gun ho for her to keep running and were so strong against Senator Obama's on his case about not being experienced and the like. Where is the money to bail Hill out of this mess she is in.

November 18, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  22. Mike

Get a job, Hillary. Not anyones responsibility but your own.

November 18, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  23. ABG

Whatever it takes to clear the way for Hillary Clinton to be Secretary of State will happen.

Hillary is the best person for the job!

November 18, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  24. Loaner

David from Silver Spring:

Loan is both a noun and a verb.

November 18, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  25. Nick

So wait, she had to pay back those that donated to her?

November 18, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |