November 18th, 2008

Clinton still millions in debt

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - A source tells CNN that Barack Obama's presidential campaign raised $800,000 to help pay down Senator Hillary Clinton's debt from her bid for Democratic presidential nomination.

An aide to Clinton says that the Senator from New York has $7.6 million in debt remaining from her primary campaign. Clinton was over $20 million in the red after she gave up her campaign and endorsed Obama following the end of the primary season in early June. About half of that figure was money she owed herself after loaning her own campaign over $12 million dollars.

An aide to the president-elect says that the Obama campaign will disclose how much money they have left over from their run for the White House when the campaign files a financial report with the Federal Election Commission on December 4.

1. babybexar1

its a sad thing for this country ,that all it takes is money to win an election!

November 18, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  2. Sandy

November 18, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  3. Peter,NH

Do not forget Obama is surrounded with all Ex- Clintons !!!!! 32 of them .and stop taking out og your garbage

November 18, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  4. That Other Jerry

David in Silver Spring– "lend" and "loan" have gone the way of proper spelling, correct use of homonyms, and any number of other grammatical rules, if these comment columns are any indication. Those of us who at least attempt to handle the language with some facility will no doubt one day find it difficult to make ourselves understood by people who think Y-O-U is spelled "u" and "there," "their," and "they're" are all the same word.

November 18, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  5. Anna, ATL

Clinton fought a better campaign when you consider the budgets they each had.

With Obama's campaign cash, Sarah Palin could have....well, never mind.

And before you all protest,
    -CREDIT TO THE CANDIDATE WHO PULLED IN ALL THE MONEY, OF COURSE.

November 18, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  6. CMG

Excuse me, but with the state of the economy and the financial deterioration that we are all witnessing daily, I really could care less about Hiliary and her debts. At least she has her homes!!!!!

November 18, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  7. Al from Portland, OR

The promise to pay off the debt was his first promise so give President-Elect Obama a chance to keep his word. I voted for him because I believe he has the integrity to follow through on his promises. We have not seen too much integrity in the last eight years. He may not have won Florida, Pennsylvania or Ohio without both Clintons campaigning tirelessly for him.

November 18, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  8. Panther1

Obama does not need Clinton, but she doesn't get the credit she deserves from her detractors. I'd be happy to see some of that debt paid down by additional contributions, but I'm not optimistic, given the financial crisis we are in.

November 18, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  9. Anna, ATL

If Obama has contributed only 800k to her debt and she was over 20 million and now less than a third remaining in 6 months???

I would say she is pretty good at budgeting...
    Just was not her time.

November 18, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  10. Rug

she has to raise the money herself ... Obama cannot do it ... Gov should NOT bail her out – she ran and this is a consequence of losing ... ask your "generous supporters" ... pay more out of her own pocket, if need be – they are NOT poor ... of course, they might be after Obama taxes the rich people like her ... turnabout is fair play. Bad news to the banner/sign/pendant companies – guess you picked a bad customer, huh?

November 18, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  11. linda carley

My heart bleeds for her- I lost 400,000.00 in the stock market because of political crooks and thrie refusal to stop the madenees that is :give everyone something for nothing", this is over half of my retirement savings- she can pay her own bills- Billy makes good money doing speeches *let him bail her out

November 18, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  12. Muz

lets just use the bailout money!

November 18, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  13. zgomer

Oh goody! and she wants to be Sec. of state! LOL! sure lets give her the post! She is a media nightmare! Keep her out of the Obama administration.

November 18, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  14. Susan from TX

okay...let me get my checkbook. Oops! I almost forgot...I am jobless.

November 18, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  15. Texas Teacher

Sad that the Clintons are trashed all the time by the Republicans.... jealousy says I.... :)

Bill Clinton left this country in fine shape.... Bush has nearly bankrupted our Nation! And all the Repubs can do is trash or blame Clinton!!! Just gives me the creeps! So strange that they seem not to be able to see their own corruption! Seems like my old daddy used to say, "a dirty dog can't smell his own stink!"

November 18, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  16. chuck

Can Barack Obama PARDON Hillary's outstanding funds on January 20,2009?

November 18, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  17. Suz in PA

I suggest Mrs. Clintons peer into her piggy bank and start paying down her debt. She must take some responsibility as well.

November 18, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  18. Llisa

I hate to say it, but Hill knew she was loosing, and she knew her campaign was really not up to Obama's level. The Clinton's are rich, they can pay that off. Just sucks to be them right now, but not really.

Hill would make a great Sec of State.!!!

November 18, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  19. Pat Green (CA)

Everyone was "responsible" for their own campaigns...it's her debt.

November 18, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  20. Ok Enough Already....

Clinton was in debt by approx $20Million, of which she loaned the campaign $12M, and now she still owes $7.6M. And, Obama raised $800K for her.

It sounds like to me she raised enough money from her supporters to pay herself back, apply the $800K from Obama - and she still owes the remaining.... Come on..... enough already.......

She and Bill have plenty of money - Please! That's why they dont want to disclose those donor lists......

November 18, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  21. jimizulu

Why is that... whom ever has the most compaign contributers tends to win? Sounds like people put their money where their mouths were.

Kinda like the home team affect. The more fans boosters get out to buy tickets, the better the uniforms, the better the stadium, the better advertising, better the student body, the better the talent, the better chance to win... Booya

Obama 08 its too late to hate... sissies

November 18, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  22. bmore4real

Why are we still talking about Hillary's debt? Shame on her for running her campaign in the ground. Shame on her for her lack of good judgement and her determination not to leave the election sooner. I'm not a hillary hater but I am sick of hearing about her debt.

November 18, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  23. Sean

"November 18th, 2008 7:36 pm ET

I thought the Clintons made money from Bill's speaking engagements. Why not hold a few to pay down that debt?"

Maybe that's what they did. If so, why did they ask OBama for Help, or did he offer? I forget, I'm too busy trying to pay off MY DEBTS!

November 18, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  24. Jay

She continued running a very expensive and negative campaign long after it was clear she couldn't win. She wasted a lot of good Democratic campaign cash for both herself and for Obama. The fact that she put all the bills on her credit card doesn't mean anyone else should pay it off for her. I have credit card bills myself and I haven't asked anyone to help pay them off and I'm not worth tens of millions of Dollars like the Clintons. Bill can go hold a couple of speeches and pay the whole thing off – He owes her anyways ;-)

November 18, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  25. Sandra L. Reed-Mansfield Ohio

Obviously Hillary had more confidence in herself being President than most American's. Nothing wrong in investing in one's self, however, a good look at Wall Street will explain the fallacy of using your own money.

November 18, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |