November 18th, 2008

McCain makes move to run for re-election, CNN has learned

McCain signaled he is interested in running for reelection in 2010.
McCain signaled he is interested in running for reelection in 2010.

(CNN) - CNN has learned that John McCain met Tuesday night with top advisers to start the process of setting up a political action committee.

A senior McCain aide says that was done to send the signal he intends to run for another term as senator from Arizona.

He is up for re-election in 2010.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Perusing-Through

McCAIN FOR SENATE RE-ELECTION IN 2010?

I guess McCain see this as his last run. McCain would be 74-years old if he runs for Arizona Senator in 2010.

But the other issue is that Arizona is slowly turning Blue; much like Colorado, Nevada, Virgina, and North Carolina. I UNDERSTAND WHY McCAIN WANTS A TWO-YEAR RUNNING START FOR RE-ELECTION.

IT WORKED FOR OBAMA. FEW PEOPLE KNEW OBAMA 22-MONTHS AGO, BUT NOW . . .

November 18, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  2. Cathy in Vermont

He cannot run for re-election as president, Gracie, he hasn't been elected. Therfore, one can tell even without reading the whole story that we are talking about his senate seat. Say goodnight.

November 18, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  3. Cathy in Vermont

November 18, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  4. Larry

The people in Arizona I'm sure will re-elect McCain in a heart beat,and should ! He's working for them and the country.I doubt if any of the people writing negative things have ever done anything for our country ,they just have an opinion.Hollow drums make the most noise.

November 18, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  5. Levar Patterson

This comment is actually regarding the Eric Holder appointment to Attorny General and Hillary Clinton's vetting for Secretary of State.

Folks.. we need to realize that Change does not mean simply change of faces in Washington. The change we are looking for is the change in policies that have dug is in a ditch over the last 8 years.

So folks.. don't get all uptight about seeing former Clinton people in Obama's Administration. These people are the best and the brightest and will serve us well. What really matters is the leadership at the top under which they all follow.

What the heck do you folks want?? A whole team of people we have never heard of?? Yeah we might get change.. but we may not get competency.. that is what matters.

November 18, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  6. New Day

Good for him. I wish him well.

November 18, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  7. Annie, Atlanta

As much as I was shocked and dismayed by the dishonorable presidential campaign he ran, if he truly is the "old" John McCain, we need him in the senate. If the "old" John McCain doesn't really exist, and what we saw this time is what we get, he needs to retire.

November 18, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  8. John in VA

I came across a poll that has Napolitano leading over McCain in a run for the Senate. John, you'd better hope she gets picked up in Obama's cabinet, but then again you hurt your image so profoundly that a saguaro cactus could get more votes than you.

Saguaro Cactus '10

November 18, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  9. Judy Mia Fl

your kidding, right? uh...

November 18, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  10. DOCS 3

IS THIS THE SAME MAN THAT SOMETIMES YOU MAY OVER STAY YOUR WELCOME? YOUR WELCOME RAN OUT WHEN YOU JOKED -"BOMB, BOMB, BOMB IRAN". AGE ASIDE!!!!!!

November 18, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  11. Kyle C.

Though I didn't vote for him in the election, I would look foward to him keeping his seat in the Senate, he is after all, a fairly bipartisan Senator. I strongly suspect that he would work with Obama and the Democrats on pressing issues like Gitmo, the enviroment, and energy. Heck, he might even join the Dems on some other issues as well and if another Republican were to get his seat, which he'll probably face a challenge from some conservative Christian Republican, his replacement probably would not be near as bipartisan as Sen. McCain.

November 18, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  12. John

Gracie Gracie Gracie.. My dear Gracie.. Ohh Gracie.. Sweet sweet Gracie. My darling Gracie.. Please Please Please read before you post. Gracie as was mentioned by several people before me darling this is about the senate seat and not POTUS. Gracie next time just take just a few minutes of your precious time and read the whole 7 line article before you make your comments dear. Anyway i hope this was a lesson learned on your part Gracie just please dont let this happen again sweety. Take care now Gracie..

November 18, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  13. Archie H.

Good for him ! He ain't no rock star like The big O. but a good man !

November 18, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  14. Military Woman

Who cares whether Gracie read all the way through or not?

This is NOT about Gracie. It is about McCain.

If you guys could have stuck to a topic perhaps you could have won an election.

November 18, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  15. Griff

I love John McCain No I am too Old to be his Son. He is only four years older than Me.... But This Guy??? Where do they come from?
    There are so few!!!!

November 18, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  16. rm

Don't be so hard on Gracie for jumping to conclusions. McCain can take it, he and Palin taught a lot of people to do that with their negative campaign. I shiver at the thought of them myself.

November 18, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  17. Richard A. Spomer

For a liberally mined person like Gracie she is showing her closed mindedness, and negative personality, because the way you view another person, situation, place, is a clear sign of yourself!

I would, and do wish Sen. John McCain all of the best , I can and am willing to share a path to the eternities which shares the Fullness and Truth in his gospel that which others do not and will not acknowledge for the future!!!

"He Lives"

"He Lives"

"He Lives"

November 18, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  18. Richard A. Spomer

November 18, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  19. Mothernature Houston,Tx

Go write a book with Palin you are done! Give me a break!

November 18, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  20. Bianca

I agree with chuck! But he's Arizona's promblem now, not ours!!

November 18, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  21. maurice

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< im with kyle... but im scratching it and shaking it at the same time with a dumbfounded look on my face....

November 18, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  22. Jeff

This is the candidate who couldn't win a healthy 10 point lead in his Home State? Pathetically, McCain did about as well in Arizona as Obama did in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Good luck, John.

November 18, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  23. PL

Wow poor people in Arizona, look at the bright side, he's never going to be president of the United States..

November 18, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  24. Sean

McCain will likely win, unless Governor Napolitano runs. She might put up a fight. There was talk she might be the Attorney General. But those talks ended today obviously. So now she is free to run for Senate if she decides to do so.

November 18, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  25. Al

Let him run if he wants to. Let him make his case. What's wrong with letting AZ vote? I thought this was a democracy?

Best of luck, John. I'll look forward to seeing what your opponent has to say, too.

November 18, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |