November 18th, 2008

Michelle Obama, daughters to visit White House

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Soon-to-be first lady Michelle Obama will visit the White House Tuesday afternoon with her daughters, Malia and Sasha, according to First Lady Laura Bush's press secretary, Sally McDonough.

McDonough said Mrs. Bush had invited Mrs. Obama to visit the White House again when her daughters were available.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. mavericky

ummm most places of employement allow breaks in which you can use the computer... it's not the dinosaur age Jen

November 18, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  2. Nancy, MD

This is great. The kids will be able to be the hostesses for the Easter Egg Roll. What a great sight that will be. The Obama kids are adorable and they are good kids. It's much ado about nothing.

Also, Mrs. Robinson, the girls grandmother should be allowed to stay there. Why not. The girls will be comfortable with her and not some stranger while their parents are out of town.

November 18, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  3. Dena

Whether Democrat, Republican or Independent, you have to admit that Laura Bush has been nothing but gracious and thoughtful. This will be so exciting for the Obama girls.

November 18, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  4. There IS hope for the future>>>

NOW it's time to "measure the drapes! :)

November 18, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  5. Robert in raleigh

I know that mrs bush is so ready to go, I mean "Fired Up And Ready To Go"

November 18, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  6. G.R.I.T. - Girl Raised in the South

ET;

Pretty sure you've been anti-Obama from the get go, but I'll break it down for ya anyway. President-Elect and Mrs. Obama can have whomever they wish live with them at the White House. For the next four years, that is their home, and it is certainly large enough to accomodate one grandmother. Geez, this is your business how?

November 18, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  7. Mark C

*** Why is the american tax payers letting Michelle's mother stay in the white house? Hillarys mother didn't stay there to help her child, Obama is acting like Bush, but in a different way, both think they're KINGS ***

Jesus, what a freak. Get back on your meds.

November 18, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  8. Gretel

______________________________________________________
    To ET,

Hilary probably had a private nanny for the child. And even if she didn't, If you don't know anything leave the people alone.

If it weren't for the mother in law, OBAMA would not be president. While they were on the campaign she took care of their children, not knowing whether he would win or not. If Obama's grandma were still alive and he decided to bring her into the Whitehouse, would you have a problem with that too?

November 18, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  9. TrueDemocrat

Small children have not been in the white house for a long time, so some people are actually interested. I find it refreshing to have something else to read amongst all the the other political articles.

Stop being haters.

November 18, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  10. S C

"ET" go home ....

November 18, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  11. Bob

Responding to the comment about taxpayers paying for the grandmother to stay in the White House: My grandmother stayed in our house when I was a child, and I don't believe it cost very much more, perhaps for a little more food. In return my grandmother read to me, looked after me when my parents were busy, and just generally was nice to have around the house.

As a taxpayer, I don't mind at all that the Obama children's grandmother is staying with them.

November 18, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  12. Peggy - TX

ET – You may be disappointed and a bit angry after your candidate lost so miserably, Dems swept the house, and now Dems are obviously solidifying their new found power, but you are NOW way out of line. Obama and his immediate family will move into the white house and you are nit picking because it might cost tax payers a few extra bucks to feed Grandma. It is not like they are adding to the 16 rooms reserved for them. Get over it and try gripe about something of substance – please do not take it out on Grandma.

November 18, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  13. Kristin

ET, I woud like to respond to your comment about Michelle's mother staying in the White House.

You know, her mother did help take care of the kids when both Michelle and Barack were campaigning in order to provide the two girls with stability while their parents were away.

Michelle already said that she wanted to continue to provide that stability for her kids. Let's think about it..do you think Michelle is going to be sitting up in the White House eating all day and picking up her kids from school? I think not!

November 18, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  14. Samilton

I HOPE THIS DOESN'T CHANGE THE OBAMA FAMILY....

I'M PRAYING FOR THEM.

November 18, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  15. Siva

In response to ET that said why the grandma should stay in the white house, I don't know the details but here is info for you. I am glad if grandma can stay and take care of the kids instead of some stranger. Having multiple generations living under one roof strengthens family and may be this will teach many Americans that taking care of elders is their duty. Not rotting away in some nursing home!

November 18, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  16. Erika, KS

Who cares? Why is this news? Michelle, the American hater gets to hate America from the highest house. Americans are idiots.

November 18, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  17. Farrell, Houston, Tx

ET, READ ALL PREVIOUS PRESIDENT'S HISTORY OF WHO DID LIVE IN THE WHITE HOUSE BEFORE YOU CONTINUE TO MAKE AN UNEDUCATED FOOL OUT OF YOURSELF.

November 18, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  18. Robert in raleigh

Michelles mother is not the first mother in law in the white house .learn your history .

November 18, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  19. J.P.

How lovely... the children of MISTER Obama, Democrat and general all-around good-guy and simple man of the people, will be sent to private school. Yet, the junior senator opposes vouchers to simply recollect MY OWN TAX MONEY to send my kid to a school of my choice.

Democrats, as always: do as I say, not as I do. The hypocrisy is breath taking.

November 18, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  20. jim

I love the Obamas and will represent our country well here at home and abroad!

November 18, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  21. Angie-OHIO

I think it is great that Michelle wants her mother at the White House. Lets the daughters have a familiar person in their daily lives. Because I'm sure there will be times when Michelle will want to be there but 1st lady duties will have her away. Good going Michelle. You and your family are in our daily prayers.

November 18, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  22. Boered1

ET November 18th, 2008 5:36 pm ET

____________________________________________________

So are you an idiot or just trying to stir up something out of nothing?

the liar hillary had a LIVE IN NANNY at the whitehouse, you as a taxpayer paid for her, just as you did for kennedy's nanny and the nanny of every OTHER President that had a family in the White House in the 20th and 21st century. The fact is that having Michelle's mother living in the Whitehouse, to take care of the children will save you money.. but hey like I said you are either an idiot or just trying to stir up somethig out of nothing.. why don't you send the liar hillary some money to pay off her debt and leave the intelligent people alone....

November 18, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  23. Simmy

Those precious young ladies are blessed; and what is so wonderful is that they realize how blessed they are. They are down to earth – sweet little ladies! God bless them, and help them to adjust to their new lives quickly!

November 18, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  24. Linda32

ET, how does their grandmother effect your tax dollars exactly? If anything, it probably saves you some bucks, lol. At least they are not hiring nannies. That's their home for the next 4, hopefully 8 years, they can have whomever they want live with them.

November 18, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  25. Maria

Whats wrong with Michelles mother living with them. I admire her for that, because she probably wants to keep her children close to their grandmother. I admire anyone who wants to keep their families together. In my work I see many elderly people neglected by their children and its so sad. Good for you Michelle!

November 18, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |