November 18th, 2008

Michelle Obama, daughters to visit White House

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Soon-to-be first lady Michelle Obama will visit the White House Tuesday afternoon with her daughters, Malia and Sasha, according to First Lady Laura Bush's press secretary, Sally McDonough.

McDonough said Mrs. Bush had invited Mrs. Obama to visit the White House again when her daughters were available.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Ken in NC

@ ET.

Michelle's mother can stay in the White House if she wants to stay. There is no rule or law that says she cannot stay. She is part of the First Family.

She is the nations First Granny. I'm sorry if you have a problem with it but the girls will have their Grand Mother with them.

November 18, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  2. Linda Thulani

I am the Mother of a young adult African American male and I put my son through 12 years of private school from pre through 8, graduated from a public HS in a Magnet Arts Program...whatever choice the Obama's make in terms of their children has and will be the best choice for all involved, as one of the other comments stated they know what they want and what has to be considered in terms of security, etc. Let's deal with the "big stuff" and leave family matters alone. They don't need people telling them what kind of "dog" to get, we need to know how he is going to implement national health care and get this country back to work with all the infra-structure $ and other "important" issues, like our 401k's, Social Security and that insane war. Thank you very much, we did our job, now let him do his and let the new First Lady do hers.

November 18, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  3. Lee for Obama

To ET (Why is the american tax payers letting Michelle's mother stay in the white house?)

I think it is wonderful that the children will have their grandmother close at hand. Many American households include three generations and this decision underscores the Obamas' strong family values. I imagine that the cost to taxpayers would be miniscule, yet the message of respect and love is huge. What a lovely family.

November 18, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  4. come on

ET......Is it really that big of a deal to have Michele's mother living in the White House? I tell you, some people complain for the sake of complaining. GET A LIFE!!!

November 18, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  5. Proud to be American

This is nice of our first lady, to invite the new first lady and her children to the white house. This will be their new home so they should be able to check out the digs...

These bloggers commenting on this blog are simply mean spirted and need prayer ....

November 18, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  6. Xanthippe

Michelle's mom at the White House will make life more real for the kids. She will help keep folks grounded and she's a tremendous help to the family. I'm GLAD if the kids granny is there. Saves on paying for a nanny. I'd rather have my kids with family than with a stranger, wouldn't you? I think people are just jealous they don't get along as well with their kin.

November 18, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  7. Jay

ET stop crying, everyone has guess stay in there house. Plus no one know for sure if she will be staying and for how long. PLEASE

November 18, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  8. Bridget

I'm thrilled to see that Laura B. and Michelle O. are putting any differences their husbands had between them aside and are getting along. Mrs. Bush had said she wanted to meet the girls and it looks like she'll get her wish. I'm sure the girls are going to be nervous at first, but she's a grandmother and they'll sense that grandmother instincts.

November 18, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. Beverly, NYC

ET November 18th, 2008 5:36 pm ET: Mind your business, the Obama's have a right to have anyone they choose take care of their girls when they have other obligations. These children are being uprooted from their environment to be watched over by strangers. Yet you begrudge thm the comfort of their grandmother's familiar face. I'm guessing ET that you didn't grow up in a multi-generational caring household. Get a life.

November 18, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. Texas Trail Kitty

Welcome home First Lady and First Kids. It's been along time coming. We love you!

November 18, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. Cami

I think the gorls will be totally overwhelmed and awed by the White House. How wonderful for them.

I also read somewhere that Michelle's mom took care of the girls while their parents were campaigning. She will only be at the WH part-time and will also spend time in her own home in Chicago. Both she and the Obama's will be keeping their homes.

November 18, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  12. mw

The Obama's can have whoever they desire in the whitehouse to care for their children. We don't have anything to say about who they hire for a nanny. Do they have anything to say about who you hire for a nanny?
    The best person for all of them, especially the children is their grandmother.

November 18, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  13. Bluz

the others who did not have a Mom to stay in the White House .....had nannies! I'd rather my mother was with my children if it were me

November 18, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  14. Becky, Midwest

Is this really news? Really? Please, CNN get real. Who cares? Did we expect them NOT to visit the White House? Ridiculous.

November 18, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  15. Tubby The Tuba

Michelle, take care of your beautiful girls, and let them grow naturally. It is about time to have young kids in the White House. You go girl!

November 18, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  16. tws1906 in NC

It will be wonderful to see the Obama Girls grow-up in a such a prestigious home.

And if I were either one of them(Barack and Michelle), I would want Mrs Robinson there to look after the girls...after all. both of them will be busy during day and some nights.

November 18, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  17. 1/20/13

I hope the cleaning ladies are on call to clean up after Michelle

November 18, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  18. Minneapple gal

to ET

Hi Hater
    quit hating THis is something that black families do. They obviously trust no one but her mother to take care of the girls whats wrong with that?

It is no diffrent then what any other president would do

November 18, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  19. Linda Thulani

One last comment, then I'm done, Neither Mrs. Obama nor the President-Elect ever said that Mrs. Robinson would be residing in the White House, they didn't say that on 60 Minutes nor did Michelle said that when asked in a recent interview that her Mother would be living in the White House, I do recall her saying that her Mother hadn't decided if she would be coming to DC with them but if she did they would find a place for her wherever she wanted to live.

November 18, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  20. Janet in the Midwest

ET –
    Re your comment, "Why is the american tax payers letting Michelle's mother stay in the white house? Hillarys mother didn't stay there to help her child, Obama is acting like Bush, but in a different way, both think they're KINGS"

I don't even know where to start. What have the family dynamics of the Clinton family, or child care choices they made, got to do with this?

It is a great honor to be able to serve one's country as President-elect Obama is able to do, and there will be plenty of wonderful opportunities for the Obama girls, but as the mother of two similarly-aged girls, I can tell you how hard it is for those kids to leave friends, familiar surroundings, extended family, etc., because of their dad's new job. If it works out that Grandma can be there a lot for them, that's great. But really, it's no business of mine, or yours, to comment – the First Family is an American family, and they have privacy rights, just like you and I do.

November 18, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  21. MAMMEL

Oh, I know the girls will love it.....why can't Michelles mom stay with them? they have plenty of room and who better to help care for the girls then their granny!

November 18, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  22. WIlly Brown

Awl. Really who cares.

November 18, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  23. LUPE CURIEL

I am soo proud and honored to be living in such historical times. To think in 50 years I will be telling my grand babys all we have lived through. I am a proud AMERICAN, who truly believes that dreams come true for all, not just the few and chosen. Please lets all support our President elect. Especially in these difficult times. May GOD bless America and President elect Obama.

November 18, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  24. Amy

@ET....

You people find anything to complain about!!! Give it a break please...

HATERS!!!

November 18, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  25. Pat Pa.

@ Et and " we need change, tx "

Just what is your problem ? It must be terrible to wake up each day with your attitudes. Grow up ! You are just aggravating yourselves because the rest of us don't care what you think.

It has to be awesome for these girls to have such loving parents and to be able to live the lives they are going to be able to live the next 4/8 years.
    Having Grandma with them is a plus. Not all of us had advantages like this. God Bless them all.

November 18, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |