November 18th, 2008

Source: Orszag tapped for Office of Management and Budget

Peter Orszag is a veteran of the Clinton White House.
Peter Orszag is a veteran of the Clinton White House.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama has picked Peter Orszag, the head of the Congressional Budget Office, to head his Office of Management and Budget, a top Democratic source told CNN Tuesday.

Orszag, 39, is an expert on health care, pensions and Social Security policy.

A favorite of Clinton Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin, he and Rubin co-founded the Hamilton Project, an organization within the Brookings Institution focused on economic research and policy.

Jason Furman, Obama's economic policy director, took over the Hamilton Project when Orszag left for the budget office in 2007.

While at Brookings, Orszag also served as director of the Retirement Security Project and co-director of the Tax Policy Center, a joint venture with the Urban Institute.

Orszag worked at the Clinton White House as special assistant to the president at the National Economic Council and served on the Council of Economic Advisors.

Orszag is known in the halls of Congress for wearing cowboy boots with his business suit.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. John

Thats now change!

November 18, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  2. Dawn

These people just tell everything they know or don't.
    I am waiting for a leaker to get outted and removed. Then that will make a statement in this hard place to find a job. It will be awake up call.
    I know the media needs to be fed however th APresident- Elect wants privacy. So I hope some media out;et is willing to pay an unworking person's salary for a year at least.

November 18, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  3. ....

whats with all the Clintonians?

November 18, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  4. BreAnna - Military Brat

Let the Anit-Obama/"Where's Change"/Clinton boo hoo comments roll in.

As long as President Elect Obama is choosing qualified people for these positions that can implement the future Obama admin.'s vision of change, I'm happy with his choices.

By change, do people think that he's going to select inexperienced/political virgins to fill these positions? Should Obama have chosen a McDonald's worker, a warehouse worker, or a pyschic? That would be change, but a bad, stupid kind of change.

Anyway, I'm delighted with this choice. I'm sure that Mr. Orszag will be a great help to Obama.

November 18, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  5. Brian

I have confidence that President Elect Obama is making the right choices for his administration.

Remember, we are one nation, we rise and fall together.

Change is coming. :)

Yes we can !! :D

November 18, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  6. Sara from Arizona

Is this a replay of the 3rd Clinton Administration? Wake me when its over.

November 18, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  7. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Yeah, okay. Sure.

As long as he does his job.

November 18, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  8. michael f

Who cares about ties to Clinton in this case? Look at the guy's resume! And he is only 39 years old, meaning he was 23 when Clinton took office. This is about qualifications, not ties to the Clinton Administration.

November 19, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  9. Hilary

I agree, BreAnna. As long as they're competent, not corrupt, and have a brain I can deal with it. Policy change is what I'm looking for. I think some of the Obama haters are a little shellshocked right now cause they were expecting people like Ayers, Rezko, and Wright to get positions. Obviously that hasn't happened, so now they have to find something else to complain about, and of course it goes back to picking on Bill.

November 19, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  10. Pua, HI

Another brilliant choice! I don't care if these experts were Clinton people as long as they are knowledgable and get the job done.

November 19, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  11. dennis

HA HA Another Clinton retread !

There's your CHANGE.....

HOPE you like it.

I love reading the comments from the Obama supporters who degraded Clinton during the campaign, but now think all these retreads are a good thing ! Can't you find qualified people of your own ?????

November 19, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  12. Democrats No Matter What!!

Since the Repugs are virtually powerless in Washington, their new job is simply to complain. Just complain, complain, complain, all day long. No solutions to what they complain about. Just complain.

President-elect Obama has the confidence of the American people. We voted for him by an electoral landslide. That should tell detractors that we trust him to make the best decisions to accomplish the goals we sent him to do, ie, FIX WASHINGTON.

Now everyone who has ever been in Washington is not crooked, or stupid. President-elect Obama is selecting people who he thinks will do the best job for him, no matter what administration they used to work for. With every single selection so far, I have seen just hte stupiest remarks online, mostly from people who obviously don't have a clue as to who these people are and what they've accomplished before (think Eric Holder).

If they can do the job, "You're Hired!" It supposed to work that way in America.

November 19, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  13. G Bell

I saw this guy deliver one of the most competent, in-depth analysis of the credit meltdown I've heard to date on CSPAN, and this was practically on day one of the crisis, before any of us knew what a CDO or traunch was.

This guy seemed painfully smart and honest, and gave some pretty insightful advice on what the government shouldn't do so it wouldn't end up getting screwed.

I had no idea who he was at the time, but I became an instant fan, much in the same way that David Walker struck me as a civil servant of the type we need many more of.

November 19, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  14. Anonymous

obama brings all the old timers back

November 19, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  15. vahe

obama brings all the old timers back

November 19, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  16. North Atlanta GA

All you McSame supports, an empty can makes a whole lot of nose.

November 19, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  17. deinse

Just being a competent to each other doesn't matter,as long as no corrupt.

November 19, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  18. db

my past 6 coments have NOT been posted- in favor of idiots who can't even spell their own name. (with the exception of the person who was somehow allowed to post under the name "KKK".)

Screw you CNN..

November 19, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  19. J. Rivers

I was a bit uncertain about our president elect. However, with each new appointment I read about, the more confidence I gain in him, which gives me renewed hope for the future of our country. Well done!

November 19, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  20. Watermann

Change does not mean chosing Repubs, unexperienced or unknown people. Change means chosing smart, honest people who get things done. Change means chosing a team of experts who can change Washington for the better.

November 19, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  21. anthony

let the man take office first you dummys are already to point fingers give him achance to put together his cabinet its mush better than what we have now

November 19, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |