November 19th, 2008

McCain wins Missouri; State's streak over!

Sen. John McCain has won the state of Missouri.
Sen. John McCain has won the state of Missouri.

(CNN) – It's taken more than two weeks, but we finally have a winner in Missouri.

Fifteen days after Election Day, Republican Sen. John McCain has narrowly edged out President-elect Barack Obama in the state, according to CNN's review of the latest unofficial vote totals from the Missouri Secretary of State. This resolves the final outstanding contest of the 2008 presidential race.

According to the unofficial results, McCain won the state by 3,632 votes . The unofficial count shows McCain with 1,445,812 votes, or 49.4 percent, and Obama with 1,442,180 votes, or 49.3 percent.

With Missouri's 11 electoral votes in Senator McCain's column, the final count is 365 for Obama and 173 for McCain.

McCain's edging out of Obama in Missouri breaks the state's bellwether streak in which Missourians correctly picked the presidential candiate in every election dating back to the 1960 contest. Missouri got it wrong in 1956, voting for the Democratic challenger Adlai Stevenson, who lost the election to President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Before that election, Missouri correctly picked the winner in every race for the White House dating back to 1904.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Daniel

Well, for those of you who think that Republicans will sit back and let Democrats do whatever they want without opposition, you got another thing coming.

I think it is kinda hypocritical when, for 8 years EVERY democrat called Bush every name in the book, and treated him like a Pariah and then expect Republicans to sit back and revel at the Majesty of the MESSIAH Obama.

I will do my best to respect him as President, but I will not unquestionably sit back and expect him to save the world.

November 19, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  2. CJ

Well Finally, I was getting sick of waiting

November 19, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  3. Isaac

I see alot of comments coming from the right that Obama voters are not informed. I'm not sure what you are basing that on, but it's incorrect. 58% of voters with postgraduate education voted Obama. 50% of college educated voters went for Obama. 52% of voters who make $200,000 or more voted for Obama. Those are not groups who tend to be "uninformed". Anyway, I've experienced 8 years of Republican control and seen our country driven into the ground by GOP policy. I voted Bush in 2000, but I'm not sure I'll ever vote Republican again. I voted Democrat in the last two elections because I did study the issues. If Obama can guide us through these rough times he will go down as one of the greatest presidents of all time. Good luck Obama, good luck Americans, and God bless the United States of America.

November 19, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  4. WC

Memo to Max: When 99% of the African-American population votes for a black-looking man, that's called RACISM. That's what you would call it if 99% of other races voted for McCan. Admit it. The pure numbers speak for themselves. You have to decide if you are a victim, a racist, or simply a human being who can see something good in both sides of an election. You can't have it all ways. No more discussion needed on that point.

November 19, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  5. Clif

I can't wait for another democratic controlled Capitol Hill. Last time We got NAFTA. Remember thats how all of our good paying manufacturing jobs left the country. HEY, maybe we can all share our unemployment checks as apart of the share the wealth program.
    And I agree, Bush screwed up. We should have never gone into Iraq. But don't worry Change is coming, it will be in the form of higher taxes, and more breaks for the big lobbiest, but if you don't beleive me see who got the highest campain contributions from the Big Oil companies and others like them.
    Good jobz people good jobz. Oh thats right, they all left with the help of NAFTA.

November 19, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  6. Elis from Chicago

I think it's ridiculous that anyone would use this poll to discount the Obama voters. TRUST ME, that poll is a reflection of ALL AMERICANS. Both republicans and democrats are completely ignorant of the issues and the politics that affect their lives. If you conduct the same poll with republicans (which I am sure it has been done) you will find similar results. The general population of this country are made up of ignorant people, and I am sure this is the case for nearly all the nations of this world.

November 19, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  7. Doctor Ruth De Paris

Ha Ha Haa Ho Ho Hoo ..Oh What A Laugh Who Cares ?? 15 Days after President Obama Win the Election ,we finally get the results... I think the Americans People should demand a Recount . A State taking that long to count ballots got to be to backward to know what they are voting on and what Policies they are voting for !! .; I put in motion an automatic Recount. this is a shame on the U.S.A. voting process!!! Last Word Up is:: the votes count is so close I hope they did not Cheat or practice Fraud!!!

November 19, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  8. Doctor Ruth De Paris

Ha Ha Ha, To Little , To Late Missouri.. By the way What Took So Long??

November 19, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  9. Otis

At least McCain wouldn't have been picking Clinton people to be in his cabinet. Some change. Bridge back to the 20th century.

November 19, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  10. Michael

"Missouri since 1904 has picked it's winning president." It didn't this year. ^__^

November 20, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  11. Leah from FL

Hey Daniel. May I suggest that you no longer listen to Rush, Hannity and the like? Your post sounds so angry. Try another point of view, perhaps watching Countdown with Keith Obermann, and see if some of your anger disapates. Good luck.

November 20, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  12. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Personal to WC:

Please explain the anti-Catholic phenomenon in 1960 against JFK.

Put the King James Bible down first, though! You know, the Bible commissioned by Queen Elizabeth I to substantiate England's wrath of "terror exploration" in the new world!!!

November 20, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |