November 19th, 2008

McCain wins Missouri; State's streak over!

Sen. John McCain has won the state of Missouri.
Sen. John McCain has won the state of Missouri.

(CNN) – It's taken more than two weeks, but we finally have a winner in Missouri.

Fifteen days after Election Day, Republican Sen. John McCain has narrowly edged out President-elect Barack Obama in the state, according to CNN's review of the latest unofficial vote totals from the Missouri Secretary of State. This resolves the final outstanding contest of the 2008 presidential race.

According to the unofficial results, McCain won the state by 3,632 votes . The unofficial count shows McCain with 1,445,812 votes, or 49.4 percent, and Obama with 1,442,180 votes, or 49.3 percent.

With Missouri's 11 electoral votes in Senator McCain's column, the final count is 365 for Obama and 173 for McCain.

McCain's edging out of Obama in Missouri breaks the state's bellwether streak in which Missourians correctly picked the presidential candiate in every election dating back to the 1960 contest. Missouri got it wrong in 1956, voting for the Democratic challenger Adlai Stevenson, who lost the election to President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Before that election, Missouri correctly picked the winner in every race for the White House dating back to 1904.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. KLEE

Well that was practically 50/50 wasn't it? – cupcake anyone??

November 19, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  2. Pepou

Losers !

November 19, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  3. KLEE

my dear: Ike November 19th, 2008 7:37 pm ET

Don't worry it works the other way for the GOP – I know plenty of uninformed "white" voters – that know absolutely nothing and believe any disrepectful thing they are told and also fear the internet as one of the biggest evils of all time (?) wonder why that is???

and guess what – they voted too!!

November 19, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  4. Sandy

Ike...the majority who voted for Obama is not African American but Caucasion, the black population vote overall does not compare to every other race who voted for Obama. Thanks American for wanting Change.

November 19, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  5. cyrusk

Technically AND LEGALLY Maccain won in Missouri, but statistically it was a tie. The margin is little more than one tenth of one percent.
    3632/2887992 = 0.0012 5
    If there were a case like Florida 2000, I am sure there would have been a recount and investigation into fraud and other things.
    But since Obam has won the race with a land slide, Missouri out come does not matter.
    I CALL IT 50/50

November 19, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  6. Fred

The Socialists are coming! The Socialists are coming!

November 19, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  7. Edisto

Time to heal this nation and get onto the serious work ahead, our children are counting on us to act like adults. All this petty hatred and resentment is sending a terrible message to our future generation. Name calling and insults are for little thinkers. We need to get behind our new president and believe tomorrow can be great.

November 19, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  8. Charles H, Mississippi

Misery is more like it.

Have you ever driven on their roads? Good grief.

I never considered Missouri a state anyway, more like a cess-pool of uneducated losers. It would be a fine place for someone like Rush to move to.

November 19, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  9. bill

Obama won!!! Landslide, yet repugs are still trying to throw mud with biased polls, complaints on every level. Get over it, you lost, see how we felt in 2000 and 2004? I LOVE EVERY MOMENT!

November 19, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  10. Dave

Only about 3000 votes... A few months ago, who could have even considered that Missouri was going to be a battleground state? 4 out of 5 red state battleground wins isn't a bad outcome bad (Indiana, North Carolina, Missouri, Virginia, Ohio).

November 19, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  11. GObama!!!!!!

Oh man......I'm seein' some serious sour grapes.

November 19, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. Don, NY

All of you children who keep saying "who cares...Obama still won," et al. should take a good look in the mirror. You're mere shells of thoughtful human beings. I am registered Democratic and I voted for John McCain. I did not, however, vote for Bush. The dems worked very hard to convince people that McCain was another Bush and you ALL believed them. You should be ashamed of yourselves. You don't have to dig very deep to realize that before this election, McCain was every Democrat's favorite Republican. Until people learn to research the candidates for themselves and also realize that moderate, responsible leaders are what we need, we'll be going nowhere really quickly!

November 19, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  13. diane08

FYI Ike:
    You're OBVIOUSLY an expert on the political awareness of blacks (lol), so I'm sure I don't have to tell you that:

1) MOST people who voted for Obama were WHITE.
    2) I'm black, and I, as well as many blacks already knew who Obama was well before the 2008 election. I started researching Obama and his political philosophy back in 2004 after he spoke at the Democratic National Convention.
    3) The same percentage of blacks that voted for Obama was roughly the same % of blacks that voted for Kerry and Gore. Were those votes "racist" too?

November 19, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  14. aynes54

Way to go Missouri....All of you people from Missouri putting people in Missouri down and being hatelful....move..There's plenty of blue states that will take you....

November 19, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  15. KLEE

PS Missouri is a beautiful state (actually the whole U.S.A. is!!) there are plenty from both sides of the ticket who voted. The fact is that Obama won this round – and we need to quiet the "rage" and come together and back our new President-elect--its the thing to do and please folks, enjoy the simple things in life for a little while (take a breath!) it may be all some of us may have for now – but I can still smile and enjoy a cup of tea and a lesson of life from my grand-daughter (who is so much wiser than some of the hateful posts I see hear) – please clean it up for the children if nothing else.

November 19, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  16. Mike

We'll give them another chance to get it right in four years. Come on Missouri, I'm pullin' fer ya'!

November 19, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  17. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I'm sure the people in Missouri know Obama has won. Missouri just now being counted would make me feel like my vote doesn't count. What a slap in the face.

November 19, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  18. MTHabe

"Uninformed voters" elected Obama... I'll bet this came from the same source that told us Obama is an Arab. If "uninformed" means they didn't listen to right-wing radio, I guess I'd agree.

We should all be as informed as Sarah Palin.

November 19, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  19. Janet

DOES IT EVEN MATTER AT THIS POINT! MOVE ON PEOPLE!

November 19, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  20. Max

It's sad to see how much hate and ignorance comes from the Right, not to mention self-righteousness. And they just make up statistics like, "Most people voted for Obama and were uniformed." Stupid comments from Ike like, "Sadly, most of those people are blacks," show just how dumb people can still be. Black people have been voting for Democrats for years. This one happened to be black, but now the reason for the vote must be because he's black, not because the Democrats have treated blacks with more respect than Republicans since the Reagan era. Don't feel sorry for us poor black folks. Save your pity.

November 19, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  21. Texas Teacher

Well, there you go.... you can't win 'em all! I mean Missouri.... no one or state is infallible! :)

November 19, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  22. Ben in Arizona

McCain Won the State but sadly he lost the election hopefully Obama will lose in four years

November 19, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  23. Chichi

Unfortunately, I live in Missouri. My husband and I voted for President Elect Obama and supported him through the election. Thank goodness he won.

November 19, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  24. CanIcallyouJoe

I live in St. Louis – I am not surprised by the outcome.

I was one of two people in my workplace who voted Obama. And get this, I work for a college. A COLLEGE. Educated individuals all over and I was one of only two people who had any sense.

I haven't considered myself an American for the last eight years, and I am ashamed of this backwards state.

November 19, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  25. Rocky

All the Obama bashers out there. come one now. the show is over. Just suck it up. there's not much you republicans and racist brats can do now to change the results. Obama was the better man. just deal with it. Stop the whining. you guys lost, deal with it.

November 19, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |