November 19th, 2008

Obama announces more White House staff

(CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama formally announced the additions of key White House staff members on Wednesday, including the previously expected choice of David Axelrod as Senior Advisor to the President

"I am pleased to announce these new additions to our team, and I'll be relying on their broad and diverse experience in the months ahead as we work to strengthen our economy, reform Washington, and meet the great challenges of our time,"  Obama said.

Axelrod has been a fixture by Obama’s side for years, serving as the chief strategist for Obama’s campaign and as a top adviser during his run for the Senate in 2004.

Obama also announced Greg Craig as White House Counsel, Lisa Brown as Staff Secretary and Chris Lu as Cabinet Secretary.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. AKRON, OHIO OBOMA SUPPORTER

ITS A SHAME SO MANY REPUBLICANS ARE STUPPID WHEN IT COMES TO THE WORD CHANGE. NO WONDER YOUR GUY DIDNT MAKE IT TO THE WHITE HOUSE. OBOMA KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT THE WORD CHANGE MEAN AND HES DOING IT.

November 19, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  2. Cynthia - Arkansas

I keep here the talking heads howling, "Where's the change" because Obama is using Clinton people. HELLO, that's a change. Obama will choose the best and brightest, no matter whe they've served with. They are just trying to keep some kind of controversy going. I am so glad that we will actually have intelligent, qualified people running this country. Not horse judges, and anyone else who gave campaign contributions.

November 19, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  3. Janice Illinois

Obama is doing the best that he can. You people act as though there is a wealth of highly intelligent people just waiting to be picked there in Washington, How do you think we got in this shape to start with? Who would you pick? If I were the Republicans I'd send out people to go door to door looking for some politically minded, decent people to run next time, you better get some new faces out there because Palin isn't going to cut it, for sure.

November 19, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  4. SD,Michigan

David Axelrod is a GENIUS! I have the greatest respect for this kind of "behind the scene", "grey emminence" gurus who can make or break politicians. i respect him even more for going 180 from karl Rove, and employing an absolutely clever and above all, clean campaign. Again, Genius all the way with his message of hope and change and what you're FOR rather than AGAINST...outstanding job!

November 19, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  5. Ginny

Why can't they let the man take office before they start complaining? The way some of these Righties talk I wonder why he (Pres. Elect Obama) would even want the job.

If he chose folks you never heard of, then you'd complain about that. Why don't you just crawl under a rock for 4 (or 8) years and let a real President work.

November 19, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  6. agnes

Have you ever noticed that Republicans never appoint Democrats to key government or cabinet posts, yet there is such a clamor for Obama to pick Republicans? Why is that?

November 19, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  7. StepRN

We trust you Mr. President-elect. Keep moving forward.

November 19, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  8. aynes54

With all of the clinto crew coming back to town, wonder if Monica is coming too????

November 19, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  9. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

ALL YOU JOE THE PLUMBER FREAKS WHO DON'T SEEM TO GET IT:

CHANGE as in POLICY!!!

Whoever doesn't get what Barack is doing didn't get him in the first place.

Anyone posting here complaining about Obama's picks DID NOT VOTE for him. So stop posing. Go post your negative, divisive, inane comments on FOX NOISE. Go to change.gov and research then think before you type for a CHANGE!

November 19, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  10. Texas Teacher

All I can say is that President Obama will choose the people he feels are best for the jobs at hand.... and I feel confident that he is qualified to do so!

And if the Republican voices don't like it...... well, TOO BAD FOR YOU! Get over it, you lost! :)

November 19, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  11. jaye

David Axelrod is THE MAN!!!
    I fully support him!!!

November 19, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  12. mikalxs

Alot of people have labeled this a failed presidency before it has even started.If Obama had selected inexperience Washington outsiders , then the right wing media would say he surrounded hisself with inexperience people such as hisself.Not that he has surrounded himself with former Clinton surrogates it's a problem.But some of these people worked for Clinton and didn't agree with everything he said or did Like : Eric Holder who was a DEPUTY attorney General which means he had know real say so in the pardon.

November 19, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  13. SYoung

President Barack Obama-Clinton...what happen to the change that our 1st. mixed-race President (because he isn't black) promised?

November 19, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  14. Hmmm

I wonder if the same people who pointed to Obama's lack of experience during the campaign are the same people complaining about his picking people who have experience If you want to implement change, you need people who know how to get things done.

Regardless of what one might think of Slick Willy and his policies, when he left office there was a budget surplus, the federal government was smaller and more efficient than under either Bush.

Choosing competent people is already a significant change from the last eight years.

November 19, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  15. KLEE

Dear Rick – yep I like my bill of goods – looks a whole bunch better than the the personalities of the past 8 years!

I liked the Clintons, I like Condi, I like people who act intelligent and are hard workers and believe in the betterment of humankind & their environment...I can't help myself to look to decent and positive people – they make me feel better about my life....and that counts for something!!

November 19, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  16. god bless the US

First of all whats wrong with picking clinton people?

Lets face it, you either have Bush I people who are also bush II people.

You got Reagan folk (old)
    Carter Folk (really old)
    Nixon Folk (really really old)

At least clinton staff is only 8 years out and anyone else will be 16 years out.

Hire a newbie? like what, a sarah palin?

November 19, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  17. Gina

what to only people with an experience in last 16 years worked for Clinton. Don't want anyone from carter admin.

November 19, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  18. Sarah

More Staff in this economy crisis? For What?

November 19, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  19. mike

Wow!!!! Obama staff looks more like Clinton's. Under Clintons ad min my taxes were raised sky high!!!! I guess Obama is not going to change anything a Leftist would do in office. Obama'ss change is an act just like he fooled most of the country. But now its showtime. Obama sure can talk the talk but we will see if he can WALK THE WALK. I pray America made the right choice.

November 19, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. grace T

I agree with most of the comments about change. Give the man a chance to at least get to the white house first. By the way did any see the news about Al queda? No one is talking about that. They are deffinately running scared of an Obama Presidency. He is not even in the office yet.

November 19, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  21. James

Calm down. For those of you saying "Obama lied! No change" blah blah, he hasn't even gotten into office. Give him a chance to get experienced staff together that will make informed decisions about the change you desire.

November 19, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  22. Pam

President-elect Barack Obama is in charge. He knows what he is doing. He won because of his brillance and dedication to making the USA a better country.
    Those who can do–those with nothing going on in their life–can't do. They are just sad and jealous people.
    President-elect Obama, we have your back.

Pam

November 19, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  23. Steven

@Mike

Yes we need more Clinton style of government to erase the bad memories of the Bush years. We also need to make sure we never let repub/retard like Bush or Palin becomes president .

November 19, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  24. rob

I have heard from friends, in many countries and all without hesitation have called to convey their hope for a better world because of President Elect Barack Obama. America will be loved and respected again by the world.

Go Mr. President............you are the man.

November 19, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  25. c7ringo

Oviously he's going to need experienced people who have operated at that level of government before. There will invariably be some familiar faces. But I've always wanted to see (in your country and here in Canada) some people elected or appointed who are real successes in real fields. Someone for whom public service is actually a sacrifice. Find people who have risen to the top in a field like engineering or medicine and ask them to serve their country for a time (for top-tier people in such fields they'd be taking a pay cut) before returning to whatever they chose as a career. If you look at the sort of disasters FEMA responds to, wouldn't you like to see a successful engineer calling the shots there? Obviously it would have to be someone who's got the necessary administrative skills.

When I hear "of the people, for the people and by the people" I'm wondering which people? It's always seemed more like "Of these people, for those people, and by the people."

Maybe I'm a bit of an idealist but it seems to me politics has way too many politicians, and most of them are "lawyers" who never practiced a day of law in their lives.

November 19, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |