November 19th, 2008

Palin congratulates Begich on Senate win

Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.
Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is congratulating Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich on winning his Senate race against veteran lawmaker Ted Stevens.

“I extend my congratulations to Mark Begich and his family,” Palin said in a statement released by her office Wednesday. “This is a new era for Alaska and I look forward to working with Mark on the many issues that are important to our state. I am confident he will add a compelling new voice to the U.S. Senate.”

"I also thank Senator Ted Stevens for his 40 years of dedicated service to Alaska,” the statement said. “His tireless efforts on behalf of the state he loves have benefited all those who call it home. Todd and I join all Alaskans in gratitude to Sen. Stevens."

Palin wasn’t always so effusive toward Stevens, the longest serving Republican in the Senate. During her vice presidential bid, after Stevens was indicted on seven felony counts, she would not say whether she planned to vote for the senator in his re-election bid.

In October, after Stevens was found guilty of making false statements on his financial disclosure reports, Palin initially said it was “a sad day” for Alaska but did not call for the senator to step down. The next day, in a television appearance with John McCain, Palin went a step further and said Stevens should indeed resign.

On Election Day in her hometown of Wasilla, Palin refused to say if she voted for Stevens.

“I am also exercising my right to privacy, and I don't have to tell anybody who I vote for, nobody does, and that’s really cool about America also,” she told a reporter.

Filed under: Alaska • Mark Begich • Sarah Palin • Ted Stevens
  1. James in New Orleans

One more State ,.. wow.... I guess CNN does not have a Mark Begich's pic ....is that why they use Palin's pic instead..... Shame on you CNN

November 19, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  2. Ron , West Coast

Palin will say or do anything to keep her face in the news .
    Hey !, Sarah , Why dont you take up the offer that Hugh Hefner made to you , about posing as the " PlayBoy Centerfold ", in the nude.....
    I remember him making the offer to you , saying , if by chance you and John McBush lost the Nov. 4th election for the presidency , and vice presidency , actually , not to you personnally , but I guess through the regular channels of communication " Divas ", such that you are , usually use ....
    Who knows , you might end up with a talk show or something .
    Or you could take over as " Howard Sterns " side kick , and replace Robin ........

November 19, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  3. Angie, San Francisco

Wow! Such dislike for one person. Now if only that energy could be focused for good instead of hate.

November 19, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  4. Dj

The pitbull with lipstick (female dog)... is barking again?
    Who cares?

November 19, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  5. tyler (portland, OR)

Her face is so big and chunky in this pic she looks like a football player.

almost as bad as McCain's Jowles.

people look funny! heheehhehe

November 19, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  6. donna

This woman cannot put together a complete and comprehensive sentence. You do not end a sentence with " also".
    So much for a degree in journalism, my grandchildren speak better English than her!!

November 19, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  7. Soccer Nana

Governor Palin, shhhhh – quietly go away please. Thank you.

November 19, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. 3strikes

in 2012, the new slogan america will be taking up is "xeroxed clinton admin. failed, we need republican reform and palin power"

November 19, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  9. Vegas Barbie for Obama

Hope she likes the taste of crow as much as moose, haha!

November 19, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  10. It's true

It is funny to see mostly women on here hating on another woman. Typical

November 19, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  11. The truth

It is funny to see mostly women on here hating on another woman. Typical!

November 19, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  12. kevin

I honestly don't care what Sarah Palin says anymore. As long as we don't have to worry about her being in charge of the nuclear chain of command anymore I simply refuse to care who or what she endorses.

November 19, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  13. Mike, Syracuse NY

there you Dems go again. McCain and Palin have been much more gracious in defeat than you sore losers have been in victory. Stop whining, you won already!

November 19, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  14. Elaina

I have no interest in anything Palin has to say as she has proven herself to be a chronic liar. She calls her actions, "calling someone out on their record". I call hypocritical behavior of a so called Christian. That is not my interpretation of the Bible or an example of "What Would Jesus Do". As a Christian, her first responsibility should be to serve God and set a positive example for other Christians in her role. She did not display any Christian behavior that I could see in her short moment of stardom. She displayed the "mean spirited" and
    despicable behavior similar to Bush. Funny that they both call themselves Christians. What a turn-off to those who may be seeking the truth about God.

November 19, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  15. Dorothy in NC

I am glad Stevens lost so Palin will not be able to take his place and maybe, if we are lucky, we won't hear about every move she makes.
    It is like she has a spell on reporters. READ MY LIPS......we do not care about Sarah Palin.

November 19, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  16. barackobama4prez

sarah, God is speaking. Are you listening? He doesn't want you to have any power anywhere other than alaska, and hopefully they will boot you out there in 2012.

November 19, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  17. Once you vote Black

If only we can keep Palin in the lime light for 8 more years. Wink

November 19, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  18. Matt

phew...I was beginning to lose all hope that I'd never see her shining, idiot face in the news again...the comedic withdrawal was killing me

November 19, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  19. Randy, San Francisco

Advice to Begich: Don't turn your back to Palin.

November 19, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  20. Steph

Congratulations Senator-elect Begich! What difference does it make what Caribou Barbie says?!?!

November 19, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  21. Matt

Amusing or sad? You tell me: Begich beats an 80+ year old convicted felon senator who held his seat for 30 some odd years and faces jail time of abotu equal duration, and what does CNN post? An article about the Palinidiot with a picture of her giant moron face in it.

So yeah...amusing or sad?

November 19, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  22. Vicki5

Wow, this made my day. I was missing the "let's bash Palin some more" blogs. The republicans keep giving her a chance to bow away gracefully, but she takes it as support.

November 19, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  23. Sue

You betcha Stevens and his pork money benefitted Alaskans. We can hope that Begich will be a bit more fiscally responsible than the Republicans have proven to be. Hope Palin doesn't have any big projects in mind–oh, she does...that gas pipeline also that has been started (but wasn't) before it has been approved also. Hopefully, the Alaskans who voted out Stevens will get her out in two years, and she can retire with her 7 mill book deal and her poor grammar (also.)

November 19, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  24. the Lorax

Why is this lady still in the news?

November 19, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |