November 19th, 2008

Palin congratulates Begich on Senate win

Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.
Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is congratulating Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich on winning his Senate race against veteran lawmaker Ted Stevens.

“I extend my congratulations to Mark Begich and his family,” Palin said in a statement released by her office Wednesday. “This is a new era for Alaska and I look forward to working with Mark on the many issues that are important to our state. I am confident he will add a compelling new voice to the U.S. Senate.”

"I also thank Senator Ted Stevens for his 40 years of dedicated service to Alaska,” the statement said. “His tireless efforts on behalf of the state he loves have benefited all those who call it home. Todd and I join all Alaskans in gratitude to Sen. Stevens."

Palin wasn’t always so effusive toward Stevens, the longest serving Republican in the Senate. During her vice presidential bid, after Stevens was indicted on seven felony counts, she would not say whether she planned to vote for the senator in his re-election bid.

In October, after Stevens was found guilty of making false statements on his financial disclosure reports, Palin initially said it was “a sad day” for Alaska but did not call for the senator to step down. The next day, in a television appearance with John McCain, Palin went a step further and said Stevens should indeed resign.

On Election Day in her hometown of Wasilla, Palin refused to say if she voted for Stevens.

“I am also exercising my right to privacy, and I don't have to tell anybody who I vote for, nobody does, and that’s really cool about America also,” she told a reporter.

Filed under: Alaska • Mark Begich • Sarah Palin • Ted Stevens
  1. Jen, Cali

She's still a governor - and you people are still sniveling weasels!!!!!!!

November 19, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  2. rules is rules

She will be up for re-election in 2010 for governor. Lets send whomever wins the democratic primary lot and lots of campaign funds.

November 19, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  3. California Girl

What's cool about America is that we saw through your nonsense and didn't elect you. Saying something nice about a democrat must have been very unpleasant for you. I doubt it was sincere.

November 19, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  4. PDX Gal

Palin: "I look forward to working with Mark on the many issues that are important to our state."

She couldn't call him Senator Elect Mark Begich? And if you want to play the "folksy" card then why didn't she call Ted just plain old "Ted"?

Mark Begich is a brave man. If she said she was looking forward to working with me, I'd find that disturbing.

November 19, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. Milhouse van Houten

She's baaacccckkk..........

November 19, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  6. Kim

Just when I was starting to celebrate the fact there had been no Sarah Palin stories for a few days..........

November 19, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  7. jarock

what an airhead..she's as ditzy as they come...lmao!

NO PINHEADS....... NO MORONS.......... NO JACK AN' APES............

this is not supposed to be funny.......but it is!!!!!!

take some time off,,,,,,,,, and do some reading honey.

November 19, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  8. A Woman In California For Obama

She is by far the ONLY person who ran in the entire presidential campaign I can't say anything good about. Please sweetie just go away!

November 19, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. S. Boatman Warrensburg, Mo.

Palin Looks Like A Female Version Of Quagmire From That Show Family Guy! Gigiddy Gigiddy Gigiddy!

November 19, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  10. Chris in Va.

I know there is a mentally handicapped member of the Palin Klan but I can't tell which one it is........

November 19, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. Matt

I just wonder who is more likely to need a caretaker to wipe the drool from their chin...Stevens or Palin.

November 19, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. Bobbie in Maryland

PLEASE, CNN...let her disappear in peace, hopefully never to be heard from again!

November 19, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  13. John

Sarah Palin's days as Governor just became even fewer.

Come on Alaska – Do the right thing.

November 19, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  14. DB25

Sarah, shut up and GO AWAY! No one cares what you think or who you voted for.

CNN, please stop giving her media time. She's an annoying know-nothing that needs to hide in an igloo somewhere in AK and never show her face outside of her state again.

November 19, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  15. Erik from Real PA

"...that’s really cool about America also,” she says. Really cool. What a teenager.

November 19, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  16. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

Oh brother.... why is this news? Who cares what she says? Please STOP with Palin, she is SO annoying, divisive, mean, petty....... etc.

November 19, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  17. Red, Red WHINE!!

What a disgusting human being...both of them (Palin and Stevens, the poster children of what the republican party is all about....Corruption)

November 19, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  18. Will

Thanks for breaking the law Ted., Palin's never ending tireless effort to end corruption in Alaska seems to appreciate it.

November 19, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  19. Vic

Who cares!

November 19, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  20. Greg, San Francisco, CA

What's really 'cool' about America Sarah is that you will never be President of it.

November 19, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  21. joseph

Can't wait for her book to be published. Since I feel that the press is going to scale down on reports about her then the book would sort of give me that Palin fix I may need. 2010 cannot come soon enough.

November 19, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  22. Karrie, MD

I didn't know that Governors work with their US Senators. If Mark Begich is smart, he'll be spending a lot of time in Washington.

November 19, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  23. America

Bye bye. This is the last bit of news I expect coming from Alaska for a while.

November 19, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  24. Palin/WRONG WOMAN

Good news

November 19, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  25. Lauren independent voter California

There went palin's chance of being in the senate, and she knows it.

November 19, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |