November 19th, 2008

Palin congratulates Begich on Senate win

Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.
Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is congratulating Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich on winning his Senate race against veteran lawmaker Ted Stevens.

“I extend my congratulations to Mark Begich and his family,” Palin said in a statement released by her office Wednesday. “This is a new era for Alaska and I look forward to working with Mark on the many issues that are important to our state. I am confident he will add a compelling new voice to the U.S. Senate.”

"I also thank Senator Ted Stevens for his 40 years of dedicated service to Alaska,” the statement said. “His tireless efforts on behalf of the state he loves have benefited all those who call it home. Todd and I join all Alaskans in gratitude to Sen. Stevens."

Palin wasn’t always so effusive toward Stevens, the longest serving Republican in the Senate. During her vice presidential bid, after Stevens was indicted on seven felony counts, she would not say whether she planned to vote for the senator in his re-election bid.

In October, after Stevens was found guilty of making false statements on his financial disclosure reports, Palin initially said it was “a sad day” for Alaska but did not call for the senator to step down. The next day, in a television appearance with John McCain, Palin went a step further and said Stevens should indeed resign.

On Election Day in her hometown of Wasilla, Palin refused to say if she voted for Stevens.

“I am also exercising my right to privacy, and I don't have to tell anybody who I vote for, nobody does, and that’s really cool about America also,” she told a reporter.

Filed under: Alaska • Mark Begich • Sarah Palin • Ted Stevens
  1. Dale, Phoenix

“I extend my congratulations to Mark Begich and his family,” Palin said

I wonder if she knows what Extend means or does she think it is a country?

November 19, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  2. Prescott

I'm finally going to like Palin.

November 19, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  3. Charles

If the Repubs think Palin is their future, then they're thinking like dinosaurs and will become like them too–politically extinct.

November 19, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  4. S. Boatman Warrensburg, Mo.

Palin Looks Like Quagmire From The Tv Show Family Guy! Gigiddy Gigiddy!

November 19, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  5. Lauren independent voter California

Palin's got the vocabulary of an eighth grader, woops! I think I just insulted all the eighth graders.

November 19, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  6. Bess Moore

Why hasn't Pouty, Pukey Palin disappeared.?? She is old news. Old bad news! Why isn't she in Alaska getting ready for that shotgun wedding and becoming a granny! SEND HER AWAAAAAAAAAAY!!! PLEASE!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Hasn't anyone told her she lost, big time??

November 19, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  7. Lynne

It's hard to get over an addiction, isn't it CNN? It's OK. just take it day by day and we will forgive you for this one relapse.

November 19, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  8. rules is rules

I will not take personal shots against Sarah Palin because she is not the problem, the people voting for her are. Sarah Palin is the epitome of what's wrong with our political system. You put an unqualified person in an elite place simply because she is a hockey mom and Alaskan mother's can relate to her. She is folksy, she is gorgeous, she is a great campaigner, and she does give an awesome stump speech; but look what she's accomplished in her government. She has put her own home town Wasilla in layers of insurmountable debt, fired a state trooper for not firing her ex brother in law, use taxpayers money for an uncompleted bridge to nowhere, and created an unfinished 40 billion dollar pipeline. Not to mention her background as a journalist who went 5 universities in 6 years. These are facts. If people keep on electing unqualified, arguably unintelligent representatives, our country will never prosper.

November 19, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  9. chuck

Sarah Palin has turned an ANGEL since the elections. She said congrats to Barack Obama and then said she was looking forward working with him.Now,She says congrats to the Democratic Senator but deep down in her heart she knows that she is on the bridge to nowhere and said she was looking forward working with him.I personally don't believe one word that comes out of sarah palin's mouth since the campaign. I have news for Sarah Palin--President Elect Obama needs people with COMMON SENSE and BRAINS and not people than can read a SCRIPT in the WHITE HOUSE. Thanks but no thanks you said you have no regrets about what you said on the campaign trail and those are your words ,not mine.

November 19, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  10. Bess Moore

Send her awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!! Far away! Just the sound of her voice makes me sick!! She is a MORON!!!!

November 19, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  11. Linda Thulani

Thank God, that witch is not going to have a say in who represents Alaska in the Senate! She is ignorant and ridiculous and conjures up the worst of American fears regarding bigotry & narrowmindness, "he is not like us" mentality". She is definitely nobody's role model, Hilary Clinton she ain't...just because she talks loud and is fairly attractive, it's all cosmetic, and superficial with absolutely no substance. If she represents the best of Alaska, it's a sad state of affairs...she's suppose to be fostering "family values" and representing what a "real" American family looks like, let's see pregnant, high school drop out daughter, it's is definitely "Juno" revisited and it ain't funny. I expect my opinion to elicit a "firestorm" of support for Mrs. Palin, but you know what they say, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

November 19, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  12. South Girl

WHO?

November 19, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  13. Cody

Well you can tell who watches CNN... just another democrat controlled station that only reports what they want how they want to instead of actually investigating issues in an unbiased fashion. No coverage of all the allegations about Obama or his almost billion dollar campaign. Just talk about how Palin dresses herself and about McCains wifes fortunes... Nothing about the $10 million a year the Clintons make on our dime each year but you hear about the $4m Mrs. McCain makes. While he builds this communist dream team we have to try to predict where our next meal is coming from.

November 19, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  14. Jeff from Jersey

She should have her own cooking show.

Snowball soup:

Put snowballs in pot of water.Heat.If unexpected moose and squirrel drop by,add more snowballs.
    In a hurry?Put bowl of water in microwave,add snowballs.Nuke."Remember not to use metal pan.No matter how often I've tried it,the microwave always explodes.".

November 19, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  15. earle,florida

Mrs. Palin is a hit-man in drag.She has mis-spoken many fraudulent /horrible things, and untold truths/rumors unfounded about Senator Obama, with absolutely no regard for integrity amongst her peers. Mr. Begich should avoid contact no closer than a keypad on a blackberry,with a minimum of one hundred miles between them!

November 19, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. NJ

And now she can fall off the face of the Earth.

November 19, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  17. Carol Brucker

I was just, this minute, telling my husband that I was so glad they stopped reporting on Sarah Palin as I perused the Ticker and "sure enough, you betcha, here we go again" there is another pointless, worthless story about this "cocky wacko" to quote a former Republican congressman.

November 19, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  18. Nancy

Well I for one am glad Begich won, that mean Sarah Faklin can't put herself in the Senate seat. I know they are not trying to be bothered with her in D.C.

November 19, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  19. Yikes!

She'll do anything to keep her sweet cheeks in the media. Go away lady. Please, go away! And furthermore, no one really gives a fat rats behind what she thinks, says or does.

November 19, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. Vicki5

Palin was not good in stump speeches...She was awful. Her speeches always reminded me of a high school pep-rally.

November 19, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  21. Angie-OHIO

We don't care who you voted for and that's a cool thing about America. Plz sarah work on that volcabulary. you sound like you are about 13 yrs. old. We are also glad and think it is cool you won't be in the senate.

November 19, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  22. New Thinker

Palin truly only supports one politician...Palin. She is so self-centered and narcisstic that she would drive a Psychiatrist to suicide!

November 19, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  23. GLORY BURKE

It is a boon in Stevens' to Begich. Otherwise, the Governor who believes that she is a specialist in Special Education, among other areas, and can thus,help mothers who have "exceptional children, "might have sneaked into the Senate seat. Thank God! no inclusion of Palin in the Senate!

November 19, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  24. Nia Hussein- Phoenix, AZ

I wonder if this was God.s way of telling Palin...that the door hasn't been opened for her to plaw through

November 19, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  25. Conservative James, Phoenix, AZ

God must be smarter than I give Him/Her credit for.

McCain and Palin lost.