November 19th, 2008

Palin congratulates Begich on Senate win

Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.
Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is congratulating Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich on winning his Senate race against veteran lawmaker Ted Stevens.

“I extend my congratulations to Mark Begich and his family,” Palin said in a statement released by her office Wednesday. “This is a new era for Alaska and I look forward to working with Mark on the many issues that are important to our state. I am confident he will add a compelling new voice to the U.S. Senate.”

"I also thank Senator Ted Stevens for his 40 years of dedicated service to Alaska,” the statement said. “His tireless efforts on behalf of the state he loves have benefited all those who call it home. Todd and I join all Alaskans in gratitude to Sen. Stevens."

Palin wasn’t always so effusive toward Stevens, the longest serving Republican in the Senate. During her vice presidential bid, after Stevens was indicted on seven felony counts, she would not say whether she planned to vote for the senator in his re-election bid.

In October, after Stevens was found guilty of making false statements on his financial disclosure reports, Palin initially said it was “a sad day” for Alaska but did not call for the senator to step down. The next day, in a television appearance with John McCain, Palin went a step further and said Stevens should indeed resign.

On Election Day in her hometown of Wasilla, Palin refused to say if she voted for Stevens.

“I am also exercising my right to privacy, and I don't have to tell anybody who I vote for, nobody does, and that’s really cool about America also,” she told a reporter.

Filed under: Alaska • Mark Begich • Sarah Palin • Ted Stevens
  1. Sean

Good to see that Palin will be unable to place herself in the Senate as Steven's replacement after all. The further away from the U.S. Capital she is, the better.

November 19, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  2. NickNas

that’s really cool about America also,”

Oh man!

November 19, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  3. Debbie

Good, let's talk about him instead of Palin from now on. Ugh.

November 19, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  4. ROCHELLE

OMG, she is Pissed! She wanted Stevens to win so that she could just walk into the position. I guess she didn't kill enough moose to get done what she wanted done. LOL!

Failen Palin struck out once again!

November 19, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  5. Sandy

"November 19th, 2008 4:38 pm ET

I thought Sarah Palin didn't believe a right to privacy existed…."

That only applies to everybody else, not her.

November 19, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  6. JBen Collins

Please, please, please stop paying attention to this unqualified zealot.

November 19, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  7. TimMN

I am guessing all the Palin haters are the Democrats who also hated Hillary even though she is a member of their party! hehe Well all the talk about ending the Clinton Dynasty has blown up in their faces being as The "NEW" administration is looking alot like the "OLD" democratic administration of Clinton being as these are the people Obama is hiring. Wonder if Rachel Madcow(Maddow)kool aid drinker from MSNBC will be his press secratary? All you kool aid drinkers need to go back and look at everything Obama promised to do at his epic nomination speech with the styrofoam stage. Now look at what he said when elected really doesn't sound the same at all total turn around. You sheep can't be that blind come on!

November 19, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  8. MICK from MESA

"...and that's really cool also".

Palin talks like a Valley Girl – or should I say trailer park trash...

November 19, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  9. Spence

I almost made it through the day without a Palin sighting. Why is she thanking a convicted felon? Oh, right, she’s a Republican! Why don't the people of Alaska do something cool like get rid of her also. I did notice she used words of more than one syllable so she must be studying hard for her presidential run (hee-haw!).

November 19, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  10. Peter (CA)

"You mean I don't get to be Senator??"

You betcha.

November 19, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  11. RinCharlotte

Now she can close her mouth and stop viewing his senate seat.

Apparently "god" has closed another door for her!!!!

November 19, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  12. Susan

Oh puke – must we keep hearing about this woman? How about a story on Mr. Begich? Wouldn't that be a little more appropriate?

November 19, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  13. Mike Dallas

Bible Spice! I like that!

November 19, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  14. Richard

Bye Bye, Sarah Palin!!

November 19, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  15. Dee

Sarah didn you really fire all the board members on that diary farm that belonged to the state. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM now aint that socilism does it still remain open on state expense

November 19, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  16. Arggggggggg

Isn't there an igloo she can go hibernate in?

November 19, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  17. Teresa, Georgia

Palin...SHUT UP and GO AWAYYYYY!!!!!!!

November 19, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  18. Dee

oops you can tell i m not social

November 19, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  19. Are You Crazy?

Congratulations, Alaska–now you have the only US Senator with no college degree in Begich. And isn't he also under investigation for financial irregularities?–GraceR
    ------------------------------
    The last time I looked it wasn't a felony not to go to college. Alaskans made the right choice in picking Begich.

November 19, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  20. keeth in california

Go...away.

November 19, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  21. Sylvia, Boston, MA

Congratulations to the Citizens of Alaska on their pick of Senator Mark Begich. He will be a breath of fresh air in Washington.

November 19, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  22. Get over yourselves

It takes guts to lie like that...but it comes so naturally to her! And I just laugh and laugh at all the "kool aid" comments. What Jim Jones did to his followers was a tragedy – led by a sick individual. Those of us who support President-elect Obama are highly intelligent, hopeful, people who do put the country first. How refreshing it is to have faith in a leader. Maybe those who believed Bush/Cheney war cries are the actual "kool aid" drinkers...

November 19, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  23. Sherri

We do not need to hear any more from Sarah Palin.

November 19, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  24. Yngvai

Why are we still hearing about Palin? This is ridiculous

November 19, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  25. Stu-Florida

OK... I'll have my Palinectomy now!

November 19, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |