November 19th, 2008

Palin congratulates Begich on Senate win

Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.
Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is congratulating Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich on winning his Senate race against veteran lawmaker Ted Stevens.

“I extend my congratulations to Mark Begich and his family,” Palin said in a statement released by her office Wednesday. “This is a new era for Alaska and I look forward to working with Mark on the many issues that are important to our state. I am confident he will add a compelling new voice to the U.S. Senate.”

"I also thank Senator Ted Stevens for his 40 years of dedicated service to Alaska,” the statement said. “His tireless efforts on behalf of the state he loves have benefited all those who call it home. Todd and I join all Alaskans in gratitude to Sen. Stevens."

Palin wasn’t always so effusive toward Stevens, the longest serving Republican in the Senate. During her vice presidential bid, after Stevens was indicted on seven felony counts, she would not say whether she planned to vote for the senator in his re-election bid.

In October, after Stevens was found guilty of making false statements on his financial disclosure reports, Palin initially said it was “a sad day” for Alaska but did not call for the senator to step down. The next day, in a television appearance with John McCain, Palin went a step further and said Stevens should indeed resign.

On Election Day in her hometown of Wasilla, Palin refused to say if she voted for Stevens.

“I am also exercising my right to privacy, and I don't have to tell anybody who I vote for, nobody does, and that’s really cool about America also,” she told a reporter.

Filed under: Alaska • Mark Begich • Sarah Palin • Ted Stevens
  1. HouseDiva

i wonder how Sarah Palin feels to know that the RNC didn't pay her to talk?

November 19, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  2. There IS hope for the future>>>

I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for her to disappear from the media but, not fast enough.....

November 19, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  3. Gail

hey that door is SLAMMED now skank. Hopefully you're gone too.

November 19, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  4. JT

That was the sound there of God's door also slammin' ya in the face, too.

November 19, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  5. SD,Michigan

I'd bet all my money she voted for Stevens. I understand he's viewed as a "good guy" by many Alaskans, and yeah, he might've done lots of "good things" for THEM only (pork barrel included), but truth is he broke the law and besides...for Christ sake..he's 85 already! I congratulate Begich for his win and I'd also ask him to be fair and never give in to greed.

November 19, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  6. Gail

She'll get voted out of office next time around. Her 15 minutes are up and now she's been exposed for the skank she is. Hopefully ALL doors will be shut to her then, except that of wife and mother. Obviously her family has suffered because of her ambitions. Ambitions are wonderful – but not when your children suffer and apparently they have – teenage daughter knocked up and unmarried (or has the shot-gun wedding taken place yet?) oldest son in trouble for drugs forced to join miliary, youngest child has disability. I imagine Willow and Piper probably have some social or developmental problems as well, we just can't 'see' what they are – yet.

We're so Proud Barack Obama is our next POTUS.

November 19, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  7. Gail

Strike two – and losing her next gov'nor race will be 3. She's OUTTA Here

November 19, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  8. jenny

This statement by Sarah Palin proves that she is definitely and idiot.How can you thank a criminal who has been stealing without being caught for his services for forty years.let me tell you plainly and simple.Ted Stevens was a corrupt man years ago . you don't just wake up overnight and commit a crime.he must have been takiing BRIBE for many years without being caught. Crime starts from a small bribe and then it becomes facinating to the eyes.

November 19, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  9. Gail

I think now she realizes the "Lower 48" really doesn't care for her – stay in the Upper 49th please.

November 19, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  10. Anna, ATL

POOR ALASKA!
    When they give Governor Palin an 80% approval rating in the state, they are the cavemen in Igloos.
    When they elect a Democratic senator, whoo-hoo!

Palin has a gift that few people walking this
    Earth will ever come close to knowing: Self-respect.

If the issues she raised about Ayers still leave a bitter taste for you, consider this...the Democrat Party has truly LOWERED the BAR when it comes to public office candidate's relationships to 'controversial' characters.
    william ayers' bombing antics were total low-life-ville. he could have killed somebody and three of his own blew themselves up doing a gig.

When the "Rethuglicans" have a candidate on the table who... god, blew up abortion clinics in their teen years, and frequented a skinhead meeting or two, I dont even want to hear about it.

November 19, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  11. Mike from Tacoma

You would think that God not picking the Senate path for her would shut her up... but no!

November 19, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  12. D.Kimbro OHIO

This fabulous news, now she can't appoint herself to that seat and continue to terrorize the american people.

S. Boatman, that is priceless!!!!! Thank you so much. But you know you are wrong for that one.

November 19, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  13. truthhurts

"...this is what makes America great also"

Why does this woman end every sentence with the word "also?"

it drives me crazy....

that has to be the beauty pageant in her...

November 19, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  14. SLG

You Palin hating bashers are a ridiculously lude bunch of malicious malefactors. Your green w/envy colors are shining through as brightly as your jealousy is. You don't like her policies, fine, take her on on those premises, but do so with a degree of intelligent decorum that shows you put some research into the pros and cons of her views. Resorting to the low level comments that have been made on this site thus far show far more of your lack of character and candor than hers..

November 19, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  15. KLEE

The doors to bigger & better things have closed it seems.....oh well I believe there is plenty of work to do as the Govenor of Alaska. Good luck on that!

November 19, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  16. Amonica Edwards

well god didnt do that but fate perhaps play a big role in her not getting nowhere or maybe she did it. how by just opening up her mouth. everytime she opens that thing she proves to the worl she's an IDOIT. or dumb bell ding ding the verdicts in you lose sarah miller(palin).

November 19, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  17. Proud First-time Voter for Obama in Indiana

The "four years of dedicated service" that she mentions is sickening. But then again, Palin doesn't read newspapers so I suppose she may have no idea of his corruption accusations.

November 19, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  18. K. B. Denver, Colorado

People, Look I'm no fan of Sarah Palin, and at times I can laugh at some of the jokes made at her expense, but do we have act like partisan fools
    willing to use the most vile of insults to entertain ourselves.

Move past this hate for her and accept that if we reach out to people like
    her, we can find common ground with anyone to get things done tearing
    her down all the time makes you look mean cold and incapable of mercy.

When she comes out swinging in 4 years then you can take the fight to
    her and it will be a noble fight, but now it's like watching a cold blooded
    beating in the street!! Please Relax and live and let live.

November 19, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  19. Janice Illinois

Republicans Your party should be looking for some intelligent, politically minded people now and get their faces out there, so the American public could get acquainted and you would have a chance at winning a election. Don't put all you hopes on Mrs. Palin, sorry but that ship has left the harbor, that's a noper.

November 19, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  20. Palin what books do you read? Gosh dang it, another gotcha question.

Good, now we know she is stuck in Alaska until at least 2012.

November 19, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  21. Jeff

TRANSLATION: Yes, I absolutely voted for Stevens.

November 19, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  22. Evan, CT

I'm glad you think your right to privacy is "cool", Govn'r Palin! It's too bad people like you are quick to take it away in the name of security. I think it was Benjamin Franklin who once said something to the effect of 'people who would give away their rights in the name of security deserve neither."

I think it's really "cool" you're not my VP-elect.

November 19, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  23. Netty

Her theme song should be "Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered" I'm hoping that Alaska boots her out of the governor's seat . Then she can "work" on her million dollar coloring book biography ALSO !!

November 19, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  24. Chris in Va.

@ Cody, I would guess that everyone posting on these boards watches CNN. If you don't like what is said here go back to Faux Noise and listen to Hannity and Bill-O the clown spew their hate. Then there's always Tush Limbaugh to fill in the hatred gaps.

The reality is they, like you, are now irrelevant and no one cares what you, or they, say.

If you can't handle the fact the We the People have taken our government back from the party of Hate, Fear, and War mongers please sit quietly in the corner while REAL AMERICANS fix the problems idiots like you,Hannity, Bill-O and Tush created.

November 19, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  25. Daryl from Seattle

Um, who CARES if Todd is happy for all the people who won their elections?? The guy isn't even a politician.

November 19, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |