November 19th, 2008

Palin congratulates Begich on Senate win

Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.
Palin thanked Ted Stevens for his service to Alaska.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is congratulating Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich on winning his Senate race against veteran lawmaker Ted Stevens.

“I extend my congratulations to Mark Begich and his family,” Palin said in a statement released by her office Wednesday. “This is a new era for Alaska and I look forward to working with Mark on the many issues that are important to our state. I am confident he will add a compelling new voice to the U.S. Senate.”

"I also thank Senator Ted Stevens for his 40 years of dedicated service to Alaska,” the statement said. “His tireless efforts on behalf of the state he loves have benefited all those who call it home. Todd and I join all Alaskans in gratitude to Sen. Stevens."

Palin wasn’t always so effusive toward Stevens, the longest serving Republican in the Senate. During her vice presidential bid, after Stevens was indicted on seven felony counts, she would not say whether she planned to vote for the senator in his re-election bid.

In October, after Stevens was found guilty of making false statements on his financial disclosure reports, Palin initially said it was “a sad day” for Alaska but did not call for the senator to step down. The next day, in a television appearance with John McCain, Palin went a step further and said Stevens should indeed resign.

On Election Day in her hometown of Wasilla, Palin refused to say if she voted for Stevens.

“I am also exercising my right to privacy, and I don't have to tell anybody who I vote for, nobody does, and that’s really cool about America also,” she told a reporter.

Filed under: Alaska • Mark Begich • Sarah Palin • Ted Stevens
  1. MBFLA

Enough! We don't care about Sarah. If you would stop reporting her every thought, maybe she would disappear from radar. Thank you!

November 19, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  2. Sarah---see you back here in 12'

Obama is only an "interim" president while we await your return in 2012'.

In fact Obama will probably resign or be impeached as he fails to halt the sliding economy and people are selling apples on street corners.

We await "The Thrilla from Wasilla." And by the way. you ARE gorgeous.

November 19, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  3. Farrell, Houston, Tx

NOW, THE COUNTRY WILL REALLY SEE WHAT PALIN AND HER HUSBAND HAVE BEEN DOING IN ALASKA WITH A DEMOCRAT SENATOR ON BOARD. THE BEST IS YET TO COME.

November 19, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  4. Ruth

GO away dumb lady go away.

November 19, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  5. Annie, Atlanta

I'd like to know how a convicted felon (7Xs) can even run for office in the first place. You can't vote for politicians, but you can run as one?

November 19, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  6. Paul in FL

I second the "tireless effort" tag given to Stevens but the problem is whom the effort was for. It was the old dividing up the pot...one for you and one for me...one for you and two for me...one for you and three for me....

November 19, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  7. Melissa Petoskey, MI

I "betcha" Sarah Palin voted democratic straight down the ticket.

November 19, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  8. Brian

HAHA You people a unbelievable. Here, she does something gracious and you bash her!? Got to love CNN viewers. HEY I heard she is making dinner soon- you should all go to her house and criticize her on that too. OH and I like some are like "jeez shut her up! get her out of here, I'm seek of hearing about her." If you were sick of hearing about her then you wouldn't click on her stories and comment them. Its funny how pathetic it is. Its funny how shes the "idiot" and you are all sitting home on your computers typing nasty little comments about her. GET LIVES PEOPLE! THERE'S A WORLD OUT THERE!

November 19, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  9. Slam! Another door closes.

Palin – do you get the feeling that you are not wanted in D.C., even by God??

Don't the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Bye – Bye now.

November 19, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  10. Sheryle

D.Kimbro OHIO~ I must correct you. Palin cannot appoint herself to the seat. A Dem has won. The only way she could appoint herself would be if Stevens had won and was later expelled.

I should also point out that by Stevens argument that he has not "yet been convicted" IE. not sentenced, he cannot expect a pardon by Bush. Bush is OUT 1/20/09, Stevens won't be sentenced until 2/09. He is SOL.

Thank heaven that Palin won't be able to appoint herself! The faster she fades away, the better.

November 19, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  11. Sheryle

Oh CRAP D.Kimbro OHIO, I have just reread your post, that I MISREAD before! Bravo!

November 19, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  12. ricardo

All the negative comments to Sarah Palin is tantamount to kicking a person when she/he is already down. Jesus said "Who among who do not have any sin cast the first stone".

November 19, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  13. Roxy

Have they thought of putting her on 'Are you smarter than a fifth grader?' Betcha she'll be out in the first round.

November 19, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  14. Palin-Romney 2012

God...I swear the hatred you far-left lunatics show towards the woman is completely disgusting.The election`s over leave her be.Immature morons.

November 19, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  15. Palin-Romney 2012

PROUD that Barack Obama`s our President? Well sure...if you want this country to go as Socialist as Europe...I`ve lost all faith in the intelligence of the American people.

November 19, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  16. Jeff

Sarah, Sarah! What are you saying - congratulating this man for 'all he has done for Alaska' - wow! YOu are unbelievable. YOu DO NOT KNOW WHEN TO SHUT UP.

November 19, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  17. Andy B

dang yet another putrid mug shot of America's ding bat and intellectual female equivalent to GWB.

November 19, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  18. Cindy, California

Sounds like the governor has a staffer writing her press release of congratulations to Mark Begich. Palin-speak is generally an incoherent jumble of words connected by also, that, and that too also.

Congratulations to Mark Begich, and to Alaskans who are voting for change.

November 19, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  19. Annjell

I won't waste my breath saying what I'd like to say.

But, for the people who really like Palin, please, please, please, go and rent the movie "Idiocracy." This is a movie made by the makers of Beavus and Butthead. It is a movie, not a cartoon, but extremely hilarious, with Dax Shepard, Owen Wilson's brother.

Then you will see why people are grateful for the election results.

November 19, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  20. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Poor Mr. Begich having to be up there in Alaska with 'her'.
    Hopefully the good people up there will vote Palin OUT next time.

November 19, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  21. Matt

It amazes me how intolerant Liberals on these boards are even though they preach tolereance

November 19, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  22. Juan Grain

Yea, She will need to drink more Moose Stew, because she aint never gonna be President at this rate. Obama, then Clinton, then Chelsea. alaska will be a tropical paradise by then, and we won't need no oil!

November 19, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  23. Art Michaelson

Sarah PALIN is an intellectual dwarf. I just wish she gets lockjaw so I would not have to hear her shrill lieing voice anymore.

November 19, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  24. Doctor Ruth De Paris

Well, Well , the Pot Can't talk about the Kettle can she?? She's got her own baggage to carry!!!

November 19, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  25. me in md

To EW:

Speak for yourself because most people on this message board know the difference between Sarah and Tina - Tina is much smarter and more articulate than the moose-eating, wolf-killing Sarah. No one with intelligence is confusing the two.

Back on topic: