November 19th, 2008

Source: Bill Clinton agrees to vetting

Fmr. Pres. Bill Clinton has agreed to several concessions in Hillary Clinton’s vetting for Secretary of State.

(CNN) –- A major obstacle in Hillary Clinton’s path to becoming President-elect Barack Obama’s secretary of state may be out of the way, as former President Bill Clinton has made several concessions to help move his wife’s vetting process along.

A source familiar with the discussions between Sen. Clinton and the president-elect confirms to CNN that the former president will release the names of several major donors to the Clinton Foundation as well as submitting future foundation activities and paid speeches to a strict ethics review.

In addition, the former president is offering to step down from his day-to-day responsibilities at the foundation and inform the State Department of his speaking schedule and any new sources of income.

President Clinton’s international and financial dealings with his foundation and presidential library have been a sticking point with an Obama camp worried that Sen. Clinton’s position in the cabinet could create a potential conflict of interest as the country’s top diplomat.

1. Anthony

Thank you President Clinton.

November 19, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  2. Jeff in Illinois

I am an Obama supporter from the start. I felt that Hillary Clinton is a very intelligent woman, but did not have the proper presence and charisma to make a good President.

From the start of the campaign season, however, I also felt that Hillary Clinton would make a great Secretary of State. I'm all for her appointment to the position, especially as her Senate seat should easily be won by another Democrat.

November 19, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  3. Sarah, Northern Colorado

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Clinton manse should Hillary not get the position because of Bill...

November 19, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  4. Mike

I think it is great that former President Clinton is doing this. I think Hillary will make a fantastic Secretary of State, and represent our country well!

November 19, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  5. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Bill doesn't need vetting. He needs to be taken to a vet...for that alley-cat behavior problem he has.

Love ya, Bill, but it's time you were spayed!
    P.S. Hillary agrees with me.

November 19, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  6. IM

Billy better hope all goes well, I bet Hillary could take him down if it doesn't!

November 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  7. JIM...TX

Man...old Bill wants back in Washington some kinda bad if he's willing to go through this:)

November 19, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  8. MJC

We need to build up our international relationships, and the Clintons are even more popular and repected overseas than in the U.S.

A great move for the Obama.

November 19, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  9. ck

yeah... this is change.

Obama is a sham!

November 19, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  10. FAYE, NV

Mrs. Clinton's can fill that position without getting stuck in rumble with President Clinton.

For all those who do not understand change, here's some enlightment. The Obama "CHANGE" is or was not about people, but about how business was done in Washington. No more underhand deals, lobbist running things, parties unwilling to work together or the tic for tac deals. Therefore stop misusing the word CHANGE because of people he, Obama, is hiring for jobs. He is bring a staff together that will work with one another and will get President elect Obama agenda done.

CNN please post this.

November 19, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  11. mary, colorado springs, co

Thanks, President Clinton, and welcome to the new Democratic takeover. Your help will be invaluable as will your vast knowledge.

November 19, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  12. A Woman In California For Obama

Well, I must say I think this is a plus for the Clinton's. After sleeping on Obama's decision to place Hillary as SOS, I am for it now. I am for anything that will move this country forward and give us back the jobs and financial security we need. Good luck to the Obama administration and I fully back you 100%.

November 19, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  13. johnny d

Don't take it Hillary...You will run for President in 4 years after Bush 3rd term finish. We will need you to fix the economy

November 19, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. Frank

I certainly hope that, after all of this, Obama is serious about Senator Clinton.

And I also hope that Obama will give Clinton the kind of support that she will need to be a great Secretary of State.

November 19, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  15. Happybob

Hillary is a hardcore Zionist supporter. With her as Secretary of State, there will never be peace in the Middle East. Oppression of Palestinians will continue with our help, and terroroism will flourish

November 19, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  16. Lisa

And why does her husband have anything to do with her receiving the job?

November 19, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  17. j. williams

everyone knows about bubbas' character,. it's her royal majesty that needs to be vetted alll the way back to the rose law firm...

November 19, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  18. Sweetie

This is GOOD NEWS.....

I have been sleeping better knowing Hillary is going to be our next Secretary of State!

I also think this was a deal brokered a long time ago.....

Hillary left 18 million of us without a voice when she could have taken it to the floor and won!

Instead she backed off; I always felt it was because a deal she liked had been agreed to.

November 19, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. lovable liberal

I think we're going to find that this is an interesting idea with too much baggage. Senator from New York? Yeah, that's o.k.

November 19, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. Maggie B

Gee, must be tough having your spouse as the former President of the USA! But, hey, it is mighty big of Bill to move aside to let Hillary pursue her political career.

November 19, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  21. Randy

Sounds like the same old Washington to me. Suckers!

November 19, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  22. Sara from Arizona

There BAAACCK!!!!!!!

November 19, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  23. Joe Regis

No body has any doubt what so ever about Senator Clinton, however, the process has to be uniform for everybody.

A satisfactory and logical conclusion will be reached.

November 19, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  24. Jim

I just wanted to say that I think its (ridiculous, funny, stupid...pick the adjective) that everyone's making such a big deal about Bill's "dealings". Like he's some kind of drug dealer or something. He's the former president of the United States, and a very successful one at that.

I don't remember anyone making a big deal about this when Hillary was running in the democratic primary.

Moral of the story........The people who hate the Clinton's have made this up as a road block, and we'll see if it works.

November 19, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  25. Kim, PA

awesome... GO OBAMA team!

November 19, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |