November 19th, 2008

Stevens concedes race

Stevens has conceded defeat.
Stevens has conceded defeat.

(CNN) – Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens has conceded defeat to Democratic challenger Mark Begich in the Alaska Senate race.

Stevens, 85, was the longest serving Republican senator in the chamber's history.

“Given the number of ballots that remain to be counted, it is apparent the election has been decided and Mayor Begich has been elected," Stevens said in a statement. “My family and I wish to thank the thousands of Alaskans who stood by us and who supported my re-election. It was a tough fight that would not have been possible without the help of so many Alaskans – people who I am honored to call my friends. I will always remember their thoughts, prayers, and encouragement."

Full statement after the jump

“Given the number of ballots that remain to be counted, it is apparent the election has been decided and Mayor Begich has been elected.

“I am proud of the campaign we ran and regret that the outcome was not what we had hoped for. I am deeply grateful to Alaskans for allowing me to serve them for 40 years in the U.S. Senate. It has been the greatest honor of my life to work with Alaskans of all political persuasions to make this state that we all love a better place.

“I wish Mayor Begich and his family well. My staff and I stand willing to help him prepare for his new position.”

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. the believer

n e w w o r l d o r d e r
    obama-biden...the change we need.....!

November 19, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  2. Glenn in California

OK Ted. Now get ready to do some jail time. It will be well deserved.

November 19, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  3. marlys conroy

where is the IRS.???? if i miss putting anything over 100.oodollars, i'm in aduit hell. stevens should pay back everything AND do some prison time,,But neither will happen...same goes for the clothes{she kept some]WHERE are you IRS????and a $5000,000 house. politics here i come

November 19, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  4. Susan

Good riddance. Hopefully Alaskans will show Sarah Palin the door next election cycle as well.

November 19, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  5. Teresa, Georgia

Aren't you going to follow Palin's lead and at least congratulate the new Senator Begich???

November 19, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  6. Bart, ME

Finally, let him exit stage right. See you in court Stevens.

November 19, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  7. MATT WILL, W-S N.C.

I HOPE HE DOESN'T DO ANY JAIL TIME. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR LIFE DUDE! LIKE FRED SANFORD (REDD FOXX) WOULD SAY, "PEACE AND HAIR GREASE".

November 19, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  8. Bob

Stevens ain't goin' to prison, y'all. Bush will pardon him for sure, along with any other Republicans - donors, cronies, child molesters, etc. - that need one.

November 19, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  9. JamOne

"Does a polar bear, well, you know, in the woods?"

Actually I don't think they do, but the lipsticked Pit Bull with a Narcissistic Personality Disorder will most definitely hold a press conference. After all, it is all about her.

November 19, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  10. k

Red Red Whine:
    Exactly where was my history lesson in that mess?

November 19, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  11. HouseDiva

YAY!!!

November 19, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  12. ran

Good to see this guy gone.

November 19, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  13. diane08

*Na na na-na....... Na na na-na..... Hey hey hey..... Goodbyyyyyyy!!!!!*

November 19, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  14. SD,Michigan

Not trying to be mean here, but when an 85 yo guy clings to power like Ted Stevens did till yesterday or so, that speaks volumes...and makes one suspicious and dissappointed at the same time.
    The only thing in his favor: not seeking Bush's pardon.
    Let him live the few years left of his life in peace. I don't want him in jail, he's too old for that, I just want a public apology and repent.

November 19, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  15. John E Lexington KY

One ugly corrupt man out the door. May he take his party and Palin with him. Thank god that she lost a window to inflict herself on the nation in the Senate. If I were her I'd take that book deal and get it out in a month or two.

November 19, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  16. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Send him to the old folks home, not prison.

November 19, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  17. petrocrab

Now I hope he will spend every day of his life in jail, and that he won't be able to enjoy one cent of his obscene Senate retirement.

November 19, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  18. Texas Teacher

Well, thankfully, the man gets to retire BEFORE he goes to jail! :)

November 19, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  19. Cincy Voter

Stevens is too old to go to prison. He should just go somewhere and sit down, try to enjoy the time he has left. His loss is good news, though. Every time I thought there was no way the Dems could make it to 60, they win a race. Two to go. Yes!

Oh yeah and perhaps Sarah Failin can just, you know, go away now since we don't have to see her on the national scene as a senator.

November 19, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  20. JNC, California

I agree, maybe not prison, but then again if it was any other ordinary Joe he would go so why not!!!! POOR SARAH!!!! I guess GOD didn't open that door!!!

November 20, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  21. Brandon (Wilmington, NC)

It's okay Stevens, time to take off the suit and put on the orange one, along with the handcuffs! Alaska, it's about time for a new Governor too, don't ya think?!

November 20, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |