November 19th, 2008

Stevens concedes race

Stevens has conceded defeat.
Stevens has conceded defeat.

(CNN) – Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens has conceded defeat to Democratic challenger Mark Begich in the Alaska Senate race.

Stevens, 85, was the longest serving Republican senator in the chamber's history.

“Given the number of ballots that remain to be counted, it is apparent the election has been decided and Mayor Begich has been elected," Stevens said in a statement. “My family and I wish to thank the thousands of Alaskans who stood by us and who supported my re-election. It was a tough fight that would not have been possible without the help of so many Alaskans – people who I am honored to call my friends. I will always remember their thoughts, prayers, and encouragement."

Full statement after the jump

“Given the number of ballots that remain to be counted, it is apparent the election has been decided and Mayor Begich has been elected.

“I am proud of the campaign we ran and regret that the outcome was not what we had hoped for. I am deeply grateful to Alaskans for allowing me to serve them for 40 years in the U.S. Senate. It has been the greatest honor of my life to work with Alaskans of all political persuasions to make this state that we all love a better place.

“I wish Mayor Begich and his family well. My staff and I stand willing to help him prepare for his new position.”

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Helene

Good. Next should be Palin, the dimwit.

November 19, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  2. now off to jail

nice sound bite, he'll have time to write his biography

November 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  3. Dennis

This is probably for the best. Now, there is no need for another election and the circus that would come with it. This also saves the Senate from having to oust one of their own had he won and reported to Washington.

November 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  4. Doug R.

There's an orange jumpsuit and silver handcuffs awaiting you. Your friends and supporters can visit you in federal prison.

November 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  5. Nija

Thank God, this is exactly what Kerry should had done in the 2004 election for a recount. May be he had some skeleton in his cupboard that only him knew.

November 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. Celusil

woo hoo!

November 19, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Alesia

in light of everything that is going on with Sen Stevens, maybe it is best that he lost. His loss will save a lot of disappointment later. God speed senator!

November 19, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Yogi bala

Sarah Palin failed in her home ground...

Sarah Palin is now paling arround BIG LOOSERS....

GotCha Sarah, Joe the lie-berman is now changed his hat....

How is first dude doing with Mooses.....????

November 19, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. Puffin

This is not good news for Palin. She just lost her Senate seat.

November 19, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Lorna, NY

Is he going to JAIL now?

November 19, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. Leah DiMarco, Texas

This is an example of how politicians should retire before they get too old and start making mistakes. Stevens was in the senate for 40 years and I am sure he did some good, but now is the time for the younger generation with new ideas to take over.

November 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. ANGIE

Good now put him in Jail where he belongs!

November 19, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  13. Brad

I can cry now. I wish I was him and he was me and I was in Alaska, then not at his house, too.

November 19, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  14. Valarie in Ohio

The fat lady never sounded so gosh darn good!

November 19, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  15. Nick

Seems Alaskans aren't as backwards as originally thought.

November 19, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. What a joke.

Stevens has no honor, so he should stop faking it.

November 19, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  17. Mark

Alaskans look more honorable to me now than few days ago... there is still one to go ... Sarah Moose
    Failing

November 19, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  18. Mark

Good! I am glad to see at least a plurality of people in Alaska had the common sense and decency to not vote for a convicted criminal, even it did not meet the 50% margin.

November 19, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  19. Peter (CA)

Like I said yesterday, one more D in the Senate, one less felon in Congress, and the door slams shut on the right wing whack job Governor.
    All in all, it's a good day.

November 19, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  20. Ted

Next up, a new governor.

November 19, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  21. HC4BO

That was The Lord slamming SHUT another door in Palin's Face ...

Guess staring at Putin in Alaskan Airways is all she has left ...

November 19, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  22. J S Ragman

Thank goodness. Now we don't have to worry about a special election that could have possibly put Sarah (moron) Palin in the Senate!

November 19, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  23. LiberalChris

I agree Helene. I wish there was a stop Palin campaign. Or get Palin unelected. I would donate to it. Anything to see Palin get booted out of politics for good. She is nothing but poison.

November 19, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  24. Peter Griffin

Freakin' sweet!

November 19, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  25. Joyce in Florida

Helene, couldn't have said it better myself. Time for Palin to just go away. Hope she will NOT be re-elected. Sorry excuse for a Governor.

November 19, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |