November 19th, 2008

Stevens concedes race

Stevens has conceded defeat.
Stevens has conceded defeat.

(CNN) – Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens has conceded defeat to Democratic challenger Mark Begich in the Alaska Senate race.

Stevens, 85, was the longest serving Republican senator in the chamber's history.

“Given the number of ballots that remain to be counted, it is apparent the election has been decided and Mayor Begich has been elected," Stevens said in a statement. “My family and I wish to thank the thousands of Alaskans who stood by us and who supported my re-election. It was a tough fight that would not have been possible without the help of so many Alaskans – people who I am honored to call my friends. I will always remember their thoughts, prayers, and encouragement."

Full statement after the jump

“Given the number of ballots that remain to be counted, it is apparent the election has been decided and Mayor Begich has been elected.

“I am proud of the campaign we ran and regret that the outcome was not what we had hoped for. I am deeply grateful to Alaskans for allowing me to serve them for 40 years in the U.S. Senate. It has been the greatest honor of my life to work with Alaskans of all political persuasions to make this state that we all love a better place.

“I wish Mayor Begich and his family well. My staff and I stand willing to help him prepare for his new position.”

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Meka

AND, TWO TO GO!

November 19, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. chelle

Well let's just hope he speaks English far better than Sarah Palin!!!

November 19, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. Don Fitzgerald

What is the point in sending in any comments, you pick and choose, according to your likes and dislike. This will be my last post to your site and I will be avoiding your TV outlet, as well. Why don't you just join with Fox Noise. you're almost as bad as they are !!? You can count on my promoting your unbiased approach, by all means !!
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS, BRING THEM HOME, ALIVE AND WHOLE. NOW.

November 19, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. Neicey in Ohio

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy now.... digging ditches, you will dig one for yourself.
    CNN... can you stop the moderate me.

November 19, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  5. Carlos

God is closing the door for you Sarah stay out and don't come back. you betcha...wink wink

November 19, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. PG

Put the felon in jail now!

November 19, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Now that we are done with these crooks from Alaska, we can move on.

November 19, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  8. Peter

Good job Mr. Stevens, I now respect you...Sort of

November 19, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  9. Connor

Good riddance

November 19, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  10. Unshrub

Two left to go!!!!

November 19, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  11. Felonious Monk

I wanted to see a convicted felon elected to the Senate. The Senate is a white man's prison. LOL. With friends like these...
    But seriously folks,

November 19, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  12. Arrogance brought down

Great to see the voters finally give this guy his comeuppance.

How about Bill Clinton next? Who does he think he is, picking and choosing what he discloses about his finances? As we see from Stevens' example, personal finances relate pretty directly to policy decisions. Hillary would be a great SoS choice, but Obama can't risk having a Stevens-like fiasco in his administration.

November 19, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. blaising

See ya...CROOK!!

November 19, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Kyle C.

As a registered Libertarian, I can say that at least Sen. Stevens went out with dignity, instead of drawing it through a recount just to be kicked out. I can respect Sen. Stevens conceding the race.

November 19, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  15. happy thanksgiving

this chapter is closed.

November 19, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  16. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

He's a conman.

And well-dressed one, too!

Too bad.

November 19, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  17. Silvio Renzulli

Good riddance, another corrupt republican gone!

November 19, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. LIP

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.
    Seems that there have been a belly full of politicians that have benefited from their jobs, both Republican and Democrat. Stevens was good for Alaska bringing back literally billions to the Alaskan people in the 45 years that he served them. But, as always , the good is oft interred with their bones and the bad lives after them.

November 19, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  19. Fred

Ted Stevens may concede and go into retirement to enjoy all of his ill gotten gains while the rest of his republican party fiddle while the country slides into a depression.

November 19, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. Jaye

W00-Hoo!
    2 loses for Alaska!!

November 19, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. vw

A great man, Senator Stevens.

Feel so sad to see you becomes a victim of political fighting.

November 19, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. Pat F

@HC4BO and others who see the Hand of God Behind Every Democratic Victory:

Get real. Politics is politics – render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, remember? Democratic victories are no more the "will of God" than the Reagan revolution was in 1980, or the 1994 Republican takeover of Congress was in 1994. God doesn't get involved in anything so grubby and sordid as politics.

November 19, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. Pat F

@LIP, very literate. Thanks for the interlude of wisdom.

November 19, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  24. LyonsPhilly

Maybe he can work part-time with Joe the Plumber.

November 19, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  25. Allen in Hartwell, GA

I suppose conceding the election was better than the alternative, even if it meant that the governor could appoint his replacement. Still thinking of himself I guess.

November 19, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |