November 19th, 2008

Stevens concedes race

Stevens has conceded defeat.
Stevens has conceded defeat.

(CNN) – Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens has conceded defeat to Democratic challenger Mark Begich in the Alaska Senate race.

Stevens, 85, was the longest serving Republican senator in the chamber's history.

“Given the number of ballots that remain to be counted, it is apparent the election has been decided and Mayor Begich has been elected," Stevens said in a statement. “My family and I wish to thank the thousands of Alaskans who stood by us and who supported my re-election. It was a tough fight that would not have been possible without the help of so many Alaskans – people who I am honored to call my friends. I will always remember their thoughts, prayers, and encouragement."

Full statement after the jump

“Given the number of ballots that remain to be counted, it is apparent the election has been decided and Mayor Begich has been elected.

“I am proud of the campaign we ran and regret that the outcome was not what we had hoped for. I am deeply grateful to Alaskans for allowing me to serve them for 40 years in the U.S. Senate. It has been the greatest honor of my life to work with Alaskans of all political persuasions to make this state that we all love a better place.

“I wish Mayor Begich and his family well. My staff and I stand willing to help him prepare for his new position.”

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Bubba

Will Sarah Palin call a press conference? Does a polar bear, well, you know, in the woods?

November 19, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. Sean Chong

Ted gets his punishment, so please be nice. I'm not a big fan of the GOP, but you gotta know that if you break the rule, you pay the price.

November 19, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. James, St. Louis, MO

A convicted felon narrowly lost an election. Does this mean the system works?

November 19, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. arc, Lugano CH

A 5 year sentence ought to be enough for a life sentence for Stevens.

November 19, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. Denise Groves

He never should have ran in the first place. he is a convicted felon. Talk about pompus

November 19, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. Chris

The man is 85 years so he needs to enjoy life. He made a wise choice.

November 19, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. Iowa Mom

Pat F November 19th, 2008 4:28 pm ET

@HC4BO and others who see the Hand of God Behind Every Democratic Victory:

Get real. Politics is politics – render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, remember? Democratic victories are no more the "will of God" than the Reagan revolution was in 1980, or the 1994 Republican takeover of Congress was in 1994. God doesn't get involved in anything so grubby and sordid as politics.

-------------------------

I think maybe HC4BO was referring to God slamming a door in Palin's face because of the interview Palin did when she spoke of God opening a door for her to bust through or something like that.

Of course God wouldn't get involved in politics, too dirty.

November 19, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  8. rob

duh–how stupid is this man. you betcha Sarah's not happy . She's next in line for the axe !

November 19, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  9. Wendy NC

Now it is time to look into Sarah's free $500,000 house. So far there is nothing to show that this lovely home was anything more than a gift from the contractors who won the Wasilla sports arena plum. IRS? Are you out there?

November 19, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  10. K

Speaking of dimwits...did you people even make it through the 8th grade? Your atrocious grammar, spelling and punctuation speak volumes as to the state of our educational system!

Now, how about some fairness? Dodd, Reid and all the other Democrats who have made millions off sweet heart deals, not to mention you and me...where's their punishment? What's that I hear?? Ah, yes, only the sound of crickets!

Here's one better...statute of limitations? Murder? Ted Kennedy? Hello, anyone out there??

RIP Mary Jo!

November 19, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  11. 3strikes

as with any other senator serving their state, you pulled for yours and helped them out a lot representing them during your years in the senate and trying to get what was best for alaska, as any other senator would do for their state. plus, trying to better the lives of the people. screw the naysaying nobama democrats, may their reign burn in hell, because they have not a care in their cold hearts, and you should have done the right thing instead of getting into that corruption. adiu, senator stevens, from a repub that will watch the democrats crash and burn

November 19, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  12. Larry

A well deserved loss ...

Prison time should be next

November 19, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. Angie-OHIO

GOOD BYE.

November 19, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. dj

too old to go to prison

November 19, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  15. aaa

republican empire is done until Democrats make mistakes.. GOP is under the sea for atleast 15 years

November 19, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  16. Biff

you had a long senate career. thank you for conceding.

have a great retirement.

November 19, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  17. IM

3strikes – you are a tool

November 19, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  18. Larry

The Senator claims that he would not wish his termoil on his worst enemy

So why then did he feel it was OK to bring it upon himself

He's the one who thought that he could get away with lies and cheating

So now pay your bill sir ...

Whats due is due ...

November 19, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  19. tammy

See yah Stevens, your too old and your a crook!

November 19, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  20. Nicki Coursey

Thankyou Senator Stevens for your graciousness and dedication to Alaska and Alaskans. I admire you for the work you've done. I'm a Democrat and have never voted for you, but you were miles above any of the other Republicans we've had in Alaskan city, state and federal political positions in recent memory. I hope Mark Begich does come to you for advice on occasion. You have been a very hard worker, but so is Mark. Take a break. Enjoy a little down time. Mark is a good person to carry on the torch for Alaska.
    Nicki of Anchorage, AK

November 19, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  21. sglman4Obama

OFF TO THE ICE PRISON FOR YOUR OLD CORRUPT SELF! WE WON'T MISS YOU AS YOU SPEND YOUR "MONTHS" IN THE SLAMMER WHERE YOU BELONG!

November 19, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. Jean

85 years old and greedy.
    What a way to end a career.

November 19, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  23. former gop

Come on, Alaska, now get rid of your corrupt governor!!!!!!!! Are you really okay with flying her kids to uninvited events around the country?

November 19, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  24. Nicki Coursey

Thankyou Senator Stevens for your graciousness and dedication to Alaska and Alaskans. I admire you for the work you've done. I'm a Democrat and have never voted for you, but you were miles above any of the other Republicans we've had in Alaskan city, state and federal political positions in recent memory. I hope Mark Begich does come to you for advice on occasion. You have been a very hard worker, but so is Mark. Take a break. Enjoy a little down time. Mark is a good person to carry the torch for Alaska.
    Nicki of Anchorage, AK

November 19, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  25. Eunice

Good Luck and enjoy your life.

November 19, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |