November 19th, 2008

Stevens concedes race

Stevens has conceded defeat.
Stevens has conceded defeat.

(CNN) – Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens has conceded defeat to Democratic challenger Mark Begich in the Alaska Senate race.

Stevens, 85, was the longest serving Republican senator in the chamber's history.

“Given the number of ballots that remain to be counted, it is apparent the election has been decided and Mayor Begich has been elected," Stevens said in a statement. “My family and I wish to thank the thousands of Alaskans who stood by us and who supported my re-election. It was a tough fight that would not have been possible without the help of so many Alaskans – people who I am honored to call my friends. I will always remember their thoughts, prayers, and encouragement."

Full statement after the jump

“Given the number of ballots that remain to be counted, it is apparent the election has been decided and Mayor Begich has been elected.

“I am proud of the campaign we ran and regret that the outcome was not what we had hoped for. I am deeply grateful to Alaskans for allowing me to serve them for 40 years in the U.S. Senate. It has been the greatest honor of my life to work with Alaskans of all political persuasions to make this state that we all love a better place.

“I wish Mayor Begich and his family well. My staff and I stand willing to help him prepare for his new position.”

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Gene Brady

See Ya.........................

November 19, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  2. Gary

especially when you set out on that new deck of yours.

November 19, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  3. Democrat

Ted Stevens is not a bad man. I didn't agree with some of his policies but he was actually a moderate Republican. I'm not convinced he deserves to go to jail and that his actions are particularly serious.

November 19, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  4. wakeupamerica

Good. Do us a huge favor – please take Palin with you!

November 19, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  5. JR

Thank God you are leaving!

November 19, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  6. The Dutchman

By hook or by crook., Stevens brought in a lot of money to Alaska. Probably, more by crook. One thing that is for sure, Alaska received more money from the Federal government than they paid into the system. Sounds like wealth distribution to me. Other states paid more taxes so that Alaska could get more welfare! I guess that means, Stevens and his Alaskan GOP hoods are a bunch of Socialists!

November 19, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  7. Tom

time for you to trade your thousand dollar suits, for a nice bright orange suit... enjoy prison teddy boy

November 19, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  8. Chris in Va.

@ 3 strikes, why do you hate the United States of America? Be a part of the solution to her problems or sit in the corner, hiding behind her flag, and suck your thumb you coward.

November 19, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  9. Milhouse van Houten

Stevens concedes race.Well I should hope so,the man is eighty-five,
    but the story doesn't say how long a race it was.Half-mile,mile,I need to know before thinking if maybe he just woosed out.

November 19, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. andy

Wow, I wonder if they'll let Stevens wear his Hulk tie in the prison cafeteria.

November 19, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. John Q. Cynic

I'm amazed that Stevens conceded the moment news came down....or was he told by his republican colleagues to vacate the office like a man who is part of the reason Americans distrust, and dislike DC politicians. Unless of course your the one who thought they booked government contracts with gifts that were already accepted.

November 19, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  12. Margo

I guess a change has come to Alaska also. Be careful Sarah. You better keep the builders of your house under wraps. Loose lips sink ships.

November 19, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  13. Red, Red WHINE!!

@K November 19th, 2008 4:41 pm ET

Just a little history lesson for you (grammar is your strong point I guess, but facts apparently allude you):

A bunch of names you mention, some criminal charges you throw out..all of them nothing but conspiracy theories being clutched at by right wing freaks trying not to be ashamed of the corruption running rampant in their party.

Here's the simple truth: Your people are being convicted of actual crimes and corruption. In return all you can do is flail around spewing out distorted facts, absolute lies and pathetic slander, none of which have been backed by any judicial findings. Ok, I know your kind, your response is another conspiracy theory and an absolute belief that your ridiculous claims hold any water. Mean while, 7 felony counts on your boy wonder are some minor inconveniences that the whole world should just over look.

Ignorance is bliss, so you must be one hell of a happy person. It's people like you that vote for criminals and republicans (what's the difference really?).

RIP GOP!

November 19, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  14. zenter

Now send him straight to jail to await trial. Maybe Palin will be a pal and post bail for him.

November 19, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  15. S. Boatman Warrensburg, Mo.

If You See A Piece Of Soap On The Shower Floor . . . Dont Bend Over To Pick It Up!

November 19, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  16. Yikes!

Maybe he can work for Sarah, that would be more punishment than the orange jumpsuit.

November 19, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. Francis, Hawaii

Stevens has no idea what one should do when he is a convicted felon. He has no pride in himself, he should be put in jail like all convicted felons!

steve

November 19, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  18. WIlly Brown

Good now go join the democrats!

November 19, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  19. Sarge in Florida

Instead of hearing the sleigh bells ringing here is the new lyrics. "Lets hear those shackles go a clinging along, it's a nasty weather in Alaska today. Lets hear those cell bars closing behind him. Another thief has been put away..Giddy up Giddy up lets go, it's finally going to show, that no one is above the law not even Stevens, Palin say good-bye to him and make him warm. Can't have him catch a cold. Yee Ha".

November 19, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  20. tennisguypitt

I don't like the guy, but he did go down gracefully.

Come on, fellow dems, he may have been convicted, but serving that long is worthy of recognition. Cut him a break. I'm sure he's not that bad of a guy.

November 19, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  21. He's a pal of mine!

And just today Palin expressed her gratitude to this UNREPENTANT DOMESTIC FELON!

November 19, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  22. Sean

It's frightening to me that the people of Alaska came so close to reelecting someone who was just convicted on multiple felony counts.

November 19, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  23. Debbie

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

November 19, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  24. Gracie

THANK GOD, now if Americans would just get a CLUE when it comes to Sarah Palin. I can't believe Republicans are that gullible to buy into her BS. It's amazing. I guess when you take into consideration that people voted for Ted Stevens, that in itself speaks to their state of mental denial.

It's like inviting a bank robber into your house and then call the police when you noticed you've been robbed!!!!

Alaska has had MORE convicted politicians than any other state. You would think they would have a clue by now. DAH.

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES!! GET RID OF GOV. PALIN!!

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES!! GET RID OF GOV. PALIN!

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES!! GET RID OF GOV. PALIN!

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES!! GET RID OF GOV. PALIN!

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES!! GET RID OF GOV. PALIN!

November 19, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  25. Gilbert

Thank goodness on a wise choice!!

November 19, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |