November 20th, 2008

Beau Biden ships out to Iraq

Capt. Beau Biden left for Iraq Wednesday with his Delaware National Guard Unit.
Capt. Beau Biden left for Iraq Wednesday with his Delaware National Guard Unit.

(CNN) – Vice President-elect Joe Biden’s eldest son Beau left his training base in Texas on Wednesday, bound for a year-long tour of duty in Iraq with his Delaware National Guard unit.

The 114 members of the 261st Signal Brigade were training at Fort Bliss, Texas for the past two months ahead of their mobilization to Iraq. Captain Beau Biden, also Delaware’s attorney general, will serve as an assistant Judge Advocate General (JAG) officer in Iraq, enforcing the Uniform Code of Military Justice and helping troops with legal issues back home.

On their way to Iraq, the unit will make two stops before arriving at a staging area outside of Iraq where they will receive additional training and equipment. The location of the staging area is classified, though most U.S. troops stage in Kuwait before going into Iraq.

The Vice President-elect was able to see his son one last time before his mobilization last weekend in Nevada when the unit had ‘R&R’ leave.

Beau was also given special permission to fly to Chicago to join his family on Election Day but declined, instead watching the returns and President-elect Barack Obama’s speech on a laptop at Fort Bliss.

“This is a different brand of kid,” his father remarked to reporters on the flight to Chicago.

Joe Biden often gets emotional when talking about his family and fought back tears during brief remarks at Beau’s deployment ceremony in Dover, Delaware on October 3.

“I’ve come here many times before – as a Delawarean, as a United States senator. But today I come as you prepare to deploy as a father,” Biden told the soldiers and their families gathered in front of the Capitol building. “Like all of the family members that are here today gathered on this green, my heart is full of love and pride.”

“Never before has a Delaware guard unit been deployed that is better qualified,” he added. “You are the best demonstration of both our nation’s greatness and, equally as importantly, our people’s goodness.”

Beau will return to Delaware next September and though he has tried to tamp down speculation, rumors are swirling about the possibility of his running for his father’s Senate seat in 2010.

Filed under: Beau Biden • Joe Biden
  1. Jan/michigan

Steven–check out some of the other posts and tickers re: your ignorant comment about "having nothing good to say"–the vitrolity of Obama backers is beyond the pale and sometimes not even human.

November 20, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  2. Danielle, TX

DON, what you said makes absolutely no sense. You are an idiot!!

November 20, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  3. Delawarian against Beau

Beau Biden...character? Beau Biden a future senator?

Those words absolute disgust me! I wish him success in his deployment and I hope God brings him back to Delaware safely, but, for the sake or my state, I sincerely wish he would gratiously back out of politics. We've already had one nimrod son of a good politician in the white house....I guess we're gearing up for the second.

This man is so fake and false, it's not even funny. He's indecisive, scatterbrained and degrating. I worked with him and know what his "character" is, and let me tell you from personal experience...you've got it all wrong.

November 20, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  4. Nathan,

All of the knuckleheads who say that he isn't going to be in danger over there because he's going to be a JAg officer make these comments from the safety of their trailer. These are the guys you see riding around with the camofluge outfits in their pickup with their support for the war extending no more than to talk about it over 10 beers at Billy Bobs Beer and Hot Dog pub. These are the same guys who have 20 guns in their house but won't elist to help save America from the guys who want to take away their right to put airplane tires under their pickup truck, hunt squirrels with an AK47 and smack their fat wives around in their wifebeaters whenever their favorite football team loses. Anytime you're in a war zone there's danger. The only thing more dangerous than being in Iraq or Afganistan is being around these morons after a couple of beers and a 3 legged deer wanders by.

November 20, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  5. SG

Never ceases to amaze me. (the level of hate in this country) And expressed mostly by the self appointed Christian Right.... Good luck Beau..... come home safe and bring your friends with you too.

November 20, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  6. Delawarian against Beau

oh, and how many times did he take the Delaware Bar until daddy bought him into the Delaware elite...?? hmmm

Wonder if Daddy's gonna get him appointed to the Delaware Senate seat and have him brought home from Iraq.

It's an honorable thing to serve your country. I commend that, but Joe Biden will stop at nothing to get his son home and into the senate

November 20, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  7. LAW

folks – yes, the GreenZone gets mortared. Yes, he is JAG, but the green zone gets mortared. If you haven't been there, if you don't have a dog in this fight, might I suggest you just shut up. Oh, yeah, I DO have a dog in this fight, my husband leaves for his second trip to the litterbox soon. My son made it out of there after his tour.

Larry – who the heck started this mess? wasn't Joe Biden, last time I looked...

Ron – I'm sure there is a unit somewhere that could use you, so toddle on down to your recruiter now... [crickets]... Ron? Ron??

November 20, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  8. LyonsPhilly

Beau be safe. I pray for all out men and women. Hope they will be home soon

November 20, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  9. Virginia Delaware

God Speed Beau! You will be in our thoughts until your safe return.
    May God Bless all of our troops.

November 20, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  10. Matt in Dallas

Karen – Proud of This Country,

Just shut it with the partisan crap. Wish both of the sons well and a speedy return and keep your filth out of it.

November 20, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  11. delighted democrat in jacksonville florida

hey beau.. you're HOT!

be safe.

November 20, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  12. Texan's got the blues

Beau, may you and your brethren stay out of harm's reach. All of the military personnel fighting for their country (in a war that should have never happened) deserve our respect. As do their families.

November 20, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  13. Steven

Jan- Two wrongs don't make a right. And anyway, what do I care about Obama supporters, my responsibility is to the USA. My point is it doesn't matter who is in the White House when those IEDs are going off. Trust me.

November 20, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  14. Tulsa

keep your head down son.

November 20, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  15. Lucyna

I cannot imagine what Joe Biden or any parent is going throu seeing his son and daughter being send to the most dangerous place on earch. I admire, respect, and pray for you all who are fighting to make this world a better place.

November 20, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  16. jaye

May God be with him and his loved ones.
    I so want this war to end – and am shamed that the oil in Iraq is so important to the Bush Administration that they let our military men and women die for it.
    This is a war for oil, a war that has nearly destroyed our country.
    It must end now.

November 20, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  17. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

It is news... for the ignorant people that pretend this is not news worthy, here is the Delaware Attn General, being deployed to Iraq, he also happens to be the son of the Vp-elect. Joe Biden should be proud of his family, may all of us have half the pride he has. this is a good story and for the morons that can't seem to uderstand this, un-plug your hearts and lighten up a little.

November 20, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  18. Dorothy in NC

I hope and pray Beau Biden comes home the same way he left......and soon. Thank you for your service to our Country. Be safe.

November 20, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  19. mary dent

I have nothing negative to say, I only hope he returns safely as I do with all the men and women that are still being shipped out daily. It takes a special parent to watch someone leave that they may never see again. My thoghts and prayers are with them both.

November 20, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  20. Farrell, Houston, Tx

IS THERE ANY HONOR AMONG US OR HAVE WE FORGOTTEN OUR BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN ARE ALL SERVING OUR COUNTRY. STOP THE NASTY REMARKS, IF YOU DON'T SERVE FOR WHATEVER REASON SHOW SOME RESPECT FOR THOSE THAT DO.

November 20, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  21. Marie banderas

Wonder just what it is that causes some bloggers on here to spew out such venom and hatred >? True christians may hate the "things ( sins) people do BUT, not the person ! Christians are instructed to PRAY for those they "think" are doing wrong, nor HATE them ! My husband is a veteran ( of Viet Nam) and never ever would we say such horrible things no matter whose son, husband, father was sent to war..Plesase people, if you cant wish these young men good will, and a hasty welcome back, please, oh please, dont spew your hate..find help, get OVER your hate before it totally consumes YOU..not the person your directing it at ! I wish BOTH these young men God Speed, Good luck and a fast return..and the same for ALL o ver there in any war anywhere..War IS hell..
    Marie..in Texas

November 20, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  22. pam Eugene OR

Some of you people should be ashamed of yourselves. Both Biden and Palin sons are going of their own free will. You jerks can be so mean.
    Unless you have sons and daughters fighting and dying in illegal wars around the world shut your filthy yaps. Show a little respect for those willing to die for us you low lives.

November 20, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  23. Latina-Indepedent-4-OBAMA

This is great! Government leaders who vote for the war, support the war should step up and send their own children to the front. I wonder if this was mandatory IF Bush/Cheney would have had to send their daughters...... IF they would have attacked Iraq!

Godspeed to Beau Biden! And all our Troops in harm's way.

November 20, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  24. Jen

God Bless you, Beau

November 20, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  25. SMJ

As a navy "brat," I commend anyone's service for our country. I, like so many, just wish that we had not gotten oursevles into this war based on lies and deception. Hopefully, at least by the end of 2011, our men and women will be home or at least serving in the world where are security is at a risk and the people of that nation truly need and want our help. Godspeed, Beau.

November 20, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |