November 20th, 2008

Obama brings Biden birthday cupcakes

Barack Obama gives Joe Biden cupcakes the day before the Vice President-elect’s 66th birthday.

CHICAGO (CNN) – The day before Vice President-elect Joe Biden turns 66, President-elect Barack Obama presented his running mate with 12 candlelit cupcakes after their weekly lunch on Wednesday. He also gave Biden Chicago White Sox and Chicago Bears hats as well as a bucket of Garrett's popcorn as presents.

“You’re 12 years old!” Obama told Biden according to a Democratic source.

“Maybe in dog years!” Biden responded, laughing.

Obama and the staff then sang Biden ‘Happy Birthday.’

Rarely did Biden make a stop on the campaign trail and not mention his age. “I want you to know,” he would tell supporters, “there are only four members of the Senate who are senior to me. But the very important thing to know is there are still 39 older than me.”

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Jaime in Florida

@Kevin November 20th, 2008 8:44 am ET

"If he knew Bin Laden's birthday, he'd probably send him cupcakes, too. We're in for four years of mamby-pamby feel-good kumbayah…all while the world gets more dangerous. Cover some REAL news, CNN."

Yes, Kevin, he probably would. More likely the cupcakes would detonate too, and no Bin Laden anymore. On the other hand, the "tough guys" would hire a private security company, and pay it 2 billion bucks to catch Bin Laden. That company will very likely miss catching him, and ask for another 2 billion to keep looking. Then that company will file for bankruptcy, and get another 2 billion from the feds. Due to national security "interests," the friends will speed up that loan with no strings attached. Yes, the world will definitely get more dangerous, and that will happen regardless of who runs the country. The difference in handling a dangerous world is between somebody who will think and do it right the first time, instead of somebody who is impulsive and "shoots from the hip," and then later ready to live with the consequences of his screw ups.

November 20, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  2. Florida Girl

Rick, I agree with you 100%! This is refreshing news! Happy Birthday Mr. VP!

November 20, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  3. Maggie

Happy Birthday Mr. Biden!

November 20, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. Mickie

To MD, TX and others like him - no, we're not saying Pres. Elect Obama is perfect but, unlike the closed-minded bigots and extreme right wingers, we are willing to give him a chance. If you're happy with Bush/Cheney and what they have done to our Country, I suggest you get help.

November 20, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  5. Robert of Long Island

Mack

listen

I am sure G.W. Bush is not a bad person, however he is the figure head for an administration that lied it's way to starting a war that they cannot finish, only to offer contracts to their own companies and who knows what is going behind the scenes with the oil.
    We can discuss all day about that gigantic debt left by them

no one can be impressed with the Bush administration.

November 20, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  6. sia

Maybe it is a good thing Obama was elected. He doesn't forget the small stuff either.
    Happy Birthday Joe

November 20, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  7. Praetorian

What a difference in management style!!!

What a breath of fresh air–after 8 years of George and Dick!!

What an opportunity for our Executive Office to be filled with real people and not just corporate facsimiles of humans.

November 20, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  8. LyonsPhilly

Everyone complaining about this story should hop on a boat to nowhere...So bitter...Be happy.....

November 20, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  9. Tom in Delaware

Yes, I'm acutally from Delaware, and have had to deal with Joe Biden for over 36 years.

The gaffes you've had to endure are merely the tip of the iceberg.

I suspect that after 36 weeks, the rest of the country will relate to how I feel about the senoir Senator from Delaware.

I also remember all the comments made by the Obama supporters about the Bush birthday celebration attended by John McCain...so much love.

Here's a little something to prove my point about the rationality and hypocriscy of the Obama supporters....tell me what you like best about Sarah Palin.

'nough said.

November 20, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  10. Tolu

Happy Birthday V.P!

November 20, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  11. alvino

Tom in Delaware sounds more like Sarah in Alaska.

November 20, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  12. Cammi317

Yum Garrett's popcorn is the best! I make a stop everytime I go back to Chicago. Happy Birthday Vice President – elect Biden.

November 20, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  13. Jamia

Happy Birthday Vice President Biden!!! Many more!

November 20, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  14. johnny

Happy Birthday Mr Vice President! Sorry for all of you who continue to feel so miserable. It's your own doing. None of the optimism I feel has to do with drinking any kool-aid, or seeing President elect Obama as a messiah type character. I notice the only people who ever say that type of thing are people who hate him, and wish the election would have gone any other way. I don't say he's the savior, YOU do. I say he's a president that I feel represents MY view for a refreshing change after the last 8 years I 've been subjected to the corruption of the Bush administration.

November 20, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  15. Praetorian

to Jaime in Florida....

Yep–he'd send him cupcakes with C-4.

November 20, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  16. Kel in Auburn, AL

Good for you, Joe! And many more!

I'm so glad that this obsession with Joe the plumber has fizzled out. Now we can start talking about Joe the Vice-President!

November 20, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  17. Rave

Happy Birthday Sir.
    Mr. Obama made a perfect choice in picking Joe Biden. Joe represents an average American and we stand by him.

November 20, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  18. Mohsen Emami

I am very proud of this man who now is our Vice President Elect. He is a very honorable and decent man who has served his country selflessly. He has also impressed me as a devoted husband and a father. I have never seen him brag about anything. Both Joe and his son Beau having graduated from Syracuse Law do not hurt either.

November 20, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  19. sensible Cape Coral FL

As a retired teacher I get very upset at the extremely poor grammer and spelling of some of these blogs. God , what a stupid nation we have become but even more upsetting is the idiotic comments of the bloggers. Look at the states from which the lunatic fringe comes and you get all the explanation you need.

November 20, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  20. Elenadia from New york

Happy Birthday Joe, and many, many more!

November 20, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  21. Cruzan Obama Mama

First of all.....Joe....May God bless you to see many more and much success.

Second....Will all the repubs or sore losers give it a rest. This is a feel good story...how can you bring your insults and sour grapes with this. All of you need prayer. YIKES...Move the heck on!!!! Your candidate lost...SUCK IT UP & GET OVER IT!!!!!!

November 20, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  22. scott l

Oh isnt that sweet. can go to a b-day party but not the g4 meetings

November 20, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  23. DENISECENTRO

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIDEN SIR... HAPPY TO SEE THE PERSONAL SIDE OF PEOPLE.

November 20, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  24. Ethan Spurling

Hey it's my birthday too

November 20, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |