November 20th, 2008

The race for 2012 kicks off?

Huckabee is in Iowa Thursday.
Huckabee is in Iowa Thursday.

(CNN) - Remember the date. Thursday, November 20, 2008. Mike Huckabee visits Iowa. Just 16 days have passed since the presidential election, and 2012 is a long, long, long way away.

So what gives? Is the former Republican presidential candidate heading to Iowa because he's thinking of making another run for the White House in the next election?

Not at all, he says. He told CNN yesterday that he's just trying to sell his new book, "Do the Right Thing: Inside the Movement that's Bringing Common Sense Back to America."

On Thursday, his 56-city book tour brings the former Arkansas governor to Cedar Rapids and Des Moines, Iowa. He says he has a lot of fans there. He named the first chapter of the book "I love Iowa" and he thinks he can sell a lot of books in the state.

It was just 11 months ago that Huckabee surprised many political watchers by winning Iowa's Republican caucuses. He went on to win seven more primary contests before giving up his bid for the GOP presidential nomination and backing John McCain in March.

Besides the book, Huckabee is also hosting a weekly TV program and next year begins a radio gig as well. Could all this be an attempt to get ready for another run for the White House?

Wolf Blitzer asked Huckabee just that yesterday on CNN's "The Situation Room." But Huckabee dodged the question about whether he wants to run again, saying "There's a part of me that wants to see some fundamental change. I may not be the one to lead it."

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. tom

republicans will not have a chance for many many years to come until they purge all the bible thumping kooks from there ranks. when they think about all americans not just the rich and evangilcal,then they will have a chance again.

November 20, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  2. Fla. Voter

President-elect, Senate-elect, etc. have not even taken office, and the media is already suggesting the next presidential election. Can we please have some peace for the holidays at least?

I would think most Americans are glad to see these elections are over this year (well, almost) before we start the next cycle.

November 20, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  3. Reality Check richmond virginia

I would never vote for the Huckster because I don't agree with him on any issues(that I know of), but he does crack me up.

November 20, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Doug

A clever sticker I saw at CafePress.com says it best:

Church + State = Taliban

November 20, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  5. David

Please give it a rest.

November 20, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. Phillip

Huckabee doesn't have any new ideas except for the flat tax which will never become law. After 8 years and a bad economy I say thanks but no thanks. It's gonna take a while before we trust the Republicans to lead this country again. But knowing them they will blame the bad economy on Obama. People need to realize it is going to take years to get out of this bad economy and I don't even think we've seen the worst yet.

November 20, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  7. babanique

Can't we let it rest for awhile, for the most part I think people are burnt out on elections and politics. How about if we start thinking about the next pres in 2011. Lets focus on the present and all the problems the U.S. and the world faces

November 20, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  8. pat huntington ny

First, lets inaugarate Obama, before we start talking about the next election.
    Second, we've had our fill of relious based politics, and Huckabee is the poster child of that movement...how can he possibly be taken seriously as Com. in Chief, when he doesn't believe in evolution, thinks the world is literally only about 6000 years old, that dinosours and man lived together, and that all of humanity came from a single man and woman, who by all account, only birthed sons?

November 20, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  9. its2008

GOD! dont you news guys have anymore crap to write. who cares about 2012. its 2008.. with the way we r going will be need a 2012. current 1st future later.

November 20, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  10. Dave in NYC

seems to me the Mike Huckabee is in fact the future of the Republican party... either him or Ron Paul.

all this talk about Palin etc.... I think people will forget about he by this time next year.

November 20, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  11. FROM AZ

OH PLEASE!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! But, Im happy to know the OLD GUARD, is willing to "UPDATE" themselves!! Its time to put away the Good Old Boys Network, and the Haves and Have Nots mentality. The White House, isnt just for the Rich. It is to represent ALL People of this great Country! ....... did you see who prepresented at the Repulblican Rallys and who represented at the Democratic Rallys. THAT speaks for itself! Nuf Said

November 20, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  12. Dave

Huckabee's a nice guy and all, I like him as a person, but this country's never going to elect him. Anyone whose judgement and analysis of the facts leads him to believe that the earth is 6,000 years old is never going to appeal to anyone except a fringe element of the electorate. The country as a whole are going to be alarmed by that.

Plus, Huckabee's record on economic matters is abyssmal. And he's pardoned way too many criminals.

So, nice guy, sure... he'd probably make a wonderful next-door neighbor. But president? Absolutely not. He's one of the last people I'd ever vote for, despite thinking he's a good guy in most respects.

November 20, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  13. California Gold

Huckabee is a novelty.

November 20, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  14. Jon

CNN why is this on the ticker, but not the change in leadership on the Energy Committee from Dingell to Waxman?

November 20, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  15. Chris

Please NO!!!! I'm still hung over from the ubiquitous and inescapable folly that was this thing called "the campaign". I, and the rest of the country need a 4 year break!!!!

November 20, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. Abyssinian Lion

He is funny and love to listen to him but he can never be President.

November 20, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  17. ed

Oboma is just the President-Elect and with cude at $48 per barrel, I'm wwwwwwwwwwwway better off already the 8 years of right-wing bull crap.

November 20, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  18. Up 'Huck'ed

This man deserves to be President as much as George W. Bush deserves a Presidential Library after what that sack of rocks did to this country. I guess the GOP stands for Goofy Old Protestants. Keep Religion out of my Politics and my karma will not hit your dogma. Thank you.

November 20, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  19. elsie

What the Huck? Elmer Gantry is that you?

November 20, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |