November 21st, 2008

Bloomberg approval rating takes a hit

Michael Bloomberg's approval ratings have dropped since trying to change the city's mayoral term limits.

(CNN) - New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's approval rating appears to have taken a significant hit since he successfully sought to change the city's mayoral term limits.

According to a new survey from Marist College, Bloomberg's approval rating is down 9 points from a similar survey taken one month ago. The mayor still enjoys a 59 percent approval rating, though Marist reports this is the first time since 2005 it has been in the 50 percent range.

"The voters don't like being defied, and Bloomberg is paying a penalty for persuading the City Council to overturn term limits that were passed twice by New York City voters," CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider said.

"He has one advantage, Schneider also said. "No Democrat at this point seems strong enough to over take Bloomberg. He also has another advantage. Lots of money."

Fist elected in 2001, Bloomberg cited the financial crisis for the reason he was seeking a third term.

"I don't think the city needs another campaign. It's going to be tough enough to get us through this," Bloomberg told reporters last month referring to the meltdown on Wall Street.

The poll was conducted from November 17-19, and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. dont forsake truth

"Richy Rich" ahem excuse Mayor Bloomberg has proven to be a punk

November 21, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  2. Dale, Phoenix

This is a fine example of Power Hungry people...Trying to change the laws to beefit themselves

November 21, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  3. Nick

He defied the voters. He went against their say. That shows that he doesn't represent them.

November 21, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  4. big daddy

I hope he stays there forever..That way he can keep an eye on
    slush mouth Rudy !!!

November 21, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  5. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz

AS A FORMER NY RESIDENT, I AGREE WITH THE POLL.

BLOOMBERG SHOULD BE VOTED OUT. HE CHANGED THE

RULES NOT TO SERVE THE CITY BUT TO SERVE HIMSELF,

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF SPECIAL RULES FOR "SPECIAL PEOPLE".

November 21, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  6. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

Well he conviced the council, he now needs to convince the City of New York. I really feel that this is a local issue; Mayor Bloomberg enjoys the respect of a lot of people from both political parties; however I beleive it is a little concerning when (1) man believes he is so indespensable that he must do everything he can to stay in power.
    just my two cents.

November 21, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  7. NYC Native

"I don't think the city needs another campaign. It's going to be tough enough to get us through this" 'Nuff said, people. This guy's buying the election. Sorry, Mike, we not only need another campaign – we need DEMOCRACY! You're not the only NYC politician who can do math – but you may be the only one with a Messiah complex.

November 21, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  8. Spencer/NY to VA

He shouldn't be allowed to serve a 3rd term. Something is extremely wrong about that. As long as I've been living, NY's mayor can only serve 2 terms and the governor can serve indefinitely. Why now all of a sudden must they change the stipulation. NY has seen crisis before, that doesn't mean we wanted Giulianni for another 4 years.

November 21, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  9. Don_N

"I don't think the city needs another campaign." Would he be saying that if he were not in office?

November 21, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  10. thomas

Bloomberg must be a great mayor because he knows no one could replace him. Why even have an election? He should just appoint himself MAYOR FOR LIFE so NYC doesn't fall back into her hedonistic and immoral ways.

November 21, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  11. Shari, NY

His approval rating would have remained unchanged had he not "defied the voters". Lots of people are satisfied with the job he is doing but do not like to be disrespected or taken for granted because of this. I heard a lot of angry comments being made by people who used to be in his corner.

November 21, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  12. david

Seems as if there is yet another guy that can't come to grips with the fact that things will go on after he/she has left office. Yes the economy is in a terrible mess but Bloomberg can't fix it in the next couple of years. It has taken several decades for all this stuff to come together for what we are going through now. There are no quick fixes for this.

November 21, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  13. Apples for sale

Sounds like a dictator in the making to me.

November 21, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  14. Corey T.

As a resident of NYC, I hope that Bloomberg is defeated in his next campaign. His policies have only led to the destruction of small businesses in this city. NYC has become an area where the rich get richer and the poor are stuck where they are. The only way to make it in New York is to either be rich or work for someone who is rich. Otherwise, you better brace yourself. We need new leadership in this city.

Please defeat Mayor Bloomberg!

November 21, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  15. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

Bloomberg seems to think that New York City is exempt from requirements of the Second Amendment, and would like to extend that exemption to the rest of the country by any means, legal or otherwise. The sooner New York dumps this doof, the better.

November 21, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  16. happy thanksgiving

he wants to control, that's not good.

November 21, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  17. Susan, Macedon New York

I'm not surprised he's taking a hint. Weren't there polls that showed that the public DOES want term limits? But Bloomberg doesn't care.
    He's rich and he always gets what he wants. Right now he wants power and to be in a visible position so he can run for President in 2012. So to hell with what the people want! Just like a Republican!

November 21, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  18. bigo80

Bloomberg should be kicked out and the congressmen/women who overturned the term law. If you can't do it in 2 terms then tough.

November 21, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  19. Matt

Big suprise. Chavez tried to get rid of term limits and we decried him as a dictator, but at least he left it up to the voters and then backed off when they said no. This guy pulled some sleezy crap and should be fired for it. I may be an Obamabot Democrat, but I recognize the need to clean house when I see it.

November 21, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  20. Daryl from Seattle

Paid leave?? Are you kidding me?? So if I worked at a hospital that Obama happens to visit and then access his records because I'm stupid and nosy, then I get involuntary, unpaid vacation and a bunch of corporate talk like "Up to and including termination"??? What a joke! Glad I'm with T-Mobile, haha.

November 21, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  21. Vic in TX

If he is doing a good job, why risk having someone come in and undo it?

November 21, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  22. dave

He should serve in Obama's cabinet as Sec of Commerce.... I think he will be of good service to the country instead of changing the laws to continue as mayor

November 21, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  23. FAYE MOGHTADER

EVEN THOUGH I DO NOT LIVE IN NY.I RESIDE IN VA.I AM VERY FOND OF BLOOMBERG.NEW YORKIANS ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE A SMART ,BRILLIANT GUY AND VERY WEALTHY ,LIKE HIM RUNNING THEIR CITY.HE IS ONLY DOING THIS TO SERVE THE PEOPLE OF THE CITY,AND NOTHING ELSE.

November 21, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  24. Mark

Unless the people of New York, not just the city council, decide to have a city wide vote to increase the term limit of the mayor. I hope New Yorkers will stand up to this power grab by Mayor Bloomberg (elitist).

November 21, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. rob

he needs a little reality check..He's ok , he's far from great .I'm glad he thinks so much of himself .I'll be casting my vote for whoever is opposing him

November 21, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |