November 21st, 2008

Bush thanks staffers and their families

President Bush is thanking staff members and their families.
President Bush is thanking staff members and their families.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – During a midday appointment at the White House, it is a surprise to see a young boy in a blazer and tie, walking in the West Wing corridor just steps from the Oval Office and anxiously clutching a shiny new baseball.

It is a sign of the times – and a sign of the president’s respect for those who keep the government working.

In his final weeks in office, President Bush just about every day he is in Washington is blocking out an hour of time to take farewell photographs with Executive Branch staffers and their families.

Aides say Mr. Bush wanted a chance to say thank you to those who work in the administration – as well as a chance to thank their spouses and children for putting up with the long hours. Not to mention sign a few baseballs.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Rob

Gotta wonder if Bush's staff will be as gracious to Obama's as Clinton's was to Bush's.

Maybe in 5 years there will be enough of America for Obama to say goodbye to? Of course he'd have already taken all he needed to make sure he was set for life.

You goons on here posting about how bad and evil Bush is, just wait, once Obama, Pelosi, and Reid have control we're gonna see a whole new level of cronism, deceit, lies, and oppression.

November 21, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. 12/21/2012

E.C. Coleman – I agree with you 100%. I am suprised that CNN posted your comment.

November 21, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  3. Abyssinian Lion

@E.C.Coleman November 21st, 2008 10:58 am ET
    What the Democrats have done to President Bush is shameless. The World does NOT view the United States in a negative manner, but the World Views the Treatment of our President as Disgraceful.

Are you kidding me? You must not get out much or travel? Or watch the news? or read papers or magazines? Good Grief! Are you really Jeb Bush?

November 21, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  4. don from NY

The day can't come soon enough! Be gone unclean spirit!

November 21, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  5. MICK from MESA

Bush, along with Cheney, Rumsfeld and Gonzelez should be put on trial for war crimes and their failure to keep their oaths to protect, preserve and defend the US Constitution.

Prison – not pictures – is in order here...

November 21, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  6. JIMBISCIELLO

MEMO TO EC COLEMAN:
    WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN LIVING THE LAST 8 YEARS?
    THIS MAN AND HIS ADMINISTRATION HAVE BEEN A DISASTER.
    IT WAS AN ADMINISTRATION OF "CONFLICT OF INTERESTS"RIGHT FROM THE START.
    GOOD RIDDANCE TO THE WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES...
    THANKS GOD ITS FINALLY OVER...HISTORY WILL NOT TREAT THIS MAN KINDLY,,

November 21, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  7. Minnesotan

Congratulations on winning the coveted "Worst President in History" award, W! Now please try not to screw up anything else with your last minute, dirty-dealing legislation against birth control, the environment or the economy. You've done more than enough damage! Good riddance you incompetent crook!

November 21, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  8. GOP Cretins

Too bad we can't put our failed political 'leaders' into Gitmo. That would be a fair treatment for Bush, his failed policies, lying, corruption, abuse of the Constitution and destroying our economy.

November 21, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  9. A.simakowicz

I gotta admit, Coleman< that was one of the funniest posts I've ever seen! Were you even able to type with a straight face? Thanks for the chuckle!

November 21, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  10. Tim

E.C. Coleman you are 100% correct. Thank you.

November 21, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  11. Matt in Dallas

I agree with you E.C.Coleman. President Bush is an honorable man and I believe was a great President. Time will surely shine brighter on him once he leaves office. My only problem now is do I support Obama like I did Bush, or do I begin the hatred and vile spewing that the LIBS did against Bush from Day 1. What a quandry.

November 21, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  12. Chris

No point in him writing a book. Since his whole administration was based on secrecy and lies, the only think he'd be able to write about with any truth (?) would be a day in the life of one of his dogs...What a wasted 8 yrs. George, hang your head. You have left a great country in shambles. I cannot think of one positive thing you've done for the common good as President Shame on you.

November 21, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  13. Mike

Adios...now you can retire to Iraq, since that country was important than this one...

November 21, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  14. Matt

@ E.C. Coleman

We know it's you Bush...pseudonym or not...get off the blogs and do something useful, liek playing in traffic or something.

November 21, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  15. Tracy

It's such a shame that so many of you call President Bush an idiot, when it's really you who don't understand. I agree that he is not a well-spoken man, but he ran this country in a way that he truly believed was right and was best for the majority of its citizens.

I'm sure many will have their hands out to the new Obama administration, but I hope he has the decency and self-respect to lead you in a direction to create your own success instead of being dependent upon the success of others. If Obama spends his presidency redistributing the wealth, we will all learn what a disaster that can create and may be in much more danger from terrorists as he ignores the real issues that threaten of the American people: those who hate America, and those who hate hard work.

November 21, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  16. Lynn

E. C. Coleman: Are you on drugs or writing from a deserted island? Bush not only has the worst ratings of ANY U.S. President in modern history, but has driven our country into a ditch and then continues to throw mud on top.

November 21, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  17. JTBW

Good Bye President George W. Bush. I wish you well. I believe you are a decent man. I've been a Democrat for 49 years but my heart goes out to you. I feel sad that you are being ignored by so many people around the world. What a legacy,

November 21, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  18. Marty

To JoePub: In response to your comment about Obama being God sent, I was referring to him as a blessing in my eyes in my initial comment ... and the fact that he is NOT McCain. I think he is brilliant, and is truly what this effed up country needs after 8 years of blatant disaster under the watch of Dubya. If you want to know if Obama was REALLY actually SENT by God, ask Sarah Palin. :-) :-)

November 21, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  19. Ed in Arizona

Isn't there an opening somewhere in an Air National Guard outfit? Nah, forgive me, ANG...

November 21, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  20. December212012

Thank you President Bush for all you have done for us in the past 8 years. The media and the Dems have boiled with anger and hatred toward you since the day you were elected. It's no wonder their lives have been miserable. I think you will be remembered as the last good president this country has ever had and the world will miss you – they just don't know it yet.

November 21, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  21. Jon

You people who can't just "rejoice with those who rejoice" really need to get a life. You have no respect for the human experience unless it is tied to your politics. Well, guess what? There's more to life than partisan politics and that's what this story reveals. So all of you low-lives who are still bashing Bush–you can take your words and shove it.

November 21, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  22. December212012

E. C. Coleman – I agree with you 100%. I am suprised that CNN posted your comment.

November 21, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |