November 21st, 2008

Palin interview causes stir

An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.
An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.

(CNN) - It’s the ultimate holiday photo-op for any governor: the yearly pardoning of a turkey to spare it from demise days before Thanksgiving.

But former Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin is causing a stir for an interview she gave after pardoning an Alaska turkey Thursday, during which one bird was being slaughtered in the background.

Palin appeared unaware of what was going on directly behind her, though she did seem to take a glance at the unfortunate event at one particular point during the interview.

"It's nice to support a local business and just participate in something that isn't so heavy handed politics that invites criticism," Palin said during the interview. "Certainly will probably invite criticism for even doing this too, but at least it was fun."

"I am always in charge of the turkey so I am where I need to be today to prepare for that," she also said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,391 Responses)
  1. Latina-Indepedent-4-OBAMA

PLEASE....... CNN, give it a rest! The last poll showed that 59% of Americans think poorly of this woman.

Why pander to the far-right? They are watching 'Faux News'!

November 21, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  2. al

Sarah Palin intelligence and tact are troubling to me. I can't see why or how this women could be elected for any office. There are no excuses for stupidity and this women has had plenty of opportunity to help her self but all she does is make you question her even more. Republicans need to stop with this ridiculous fascination with this idiot.

November 21, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  3. ray

this woman is an idiot.,

November 21, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  4. Joe Horn's Lawn Service

Please tell me that this story is a joke. I mean do we really care that there is a turkey being butchered while she is giving this interview. I mean I am sure she set it up that way. She did it all on purpose so the liberal media can blast her for it like they do everything else. This woman could be helping a homeless kid out and the media would find some way to blast it. Obama could be beating a kid up and media would find some way to praise it.

November 21, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  5. Sandy

I thought it was kinda strange how she seemed afraid to touch the pardoned turkey earlier (this was before the interview with the guy grinning in the background). If she's tough enough to shoot a moose, what's the harm in patting a turkey being held by a turkey handler. I think the whole frontier woman is something dreamed up by her to run for office.

November 21, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  6. Wayne

I'm no animal activist and I eat turkey so the killing isn't what bothered me, but it was a poorly planned camera angle, so maybe its just bad reporting.

November 21, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  7. karen-phoenix

Thank you God this women did not make it to Washington. She has NO grace or style. What happened to her upbringing? AND all her kids are high school drop outs!!!! Please, NO MORE Palin!!!

November 21, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  8. Boulder girl

Why is anyone surprised that she is unaware of what is going on around her?

November 21, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  9. JAC

I am no fan of Palin's but ... so what if her scarf is a fake ... just means she if frugal enough not to fall for a brand name and its advertising. It still looks good.

November 21, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  10. Wes in Oregon

Was she the turkey who was pardoned? She blends in well at a turkey ranch. What a bird brain!

November 21, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  11. Kim C

We came HOW close to having THIS Turkey in Washington? Oh my gosh, I'm still laughing. If Palin did this to the turkey, imagine what she was capable of with ther former brother-in-law!

November 21, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. klk

If this bothers you, I suggest not eating turkey for Thanksgiving. This happens by the millions every year.

13. Dani

Utterly, repulsive!

14. scott brookdale ca

Can this woman string together a normal sentence for once? She makes Bush look like a Rhodes Scholar.

15. Chris S

TURKEY GATE?

16. Minnesota

LiberalsHateAmerica November 21st, 2008 1:23 pm ET

We are witnessing the worst post-election selloff of the stockmarket and Palin is STILL getting bad press. Where are the stories of the stockmarket (beginning Nov 5th) being shoved throught the grinder. It appears the stock market knows how to spot a socialist better then the mainstream media. Unbiased journalism truly died in America in 2008….
    -------------------------------
    Huh? The stockmarket has been tanking since September...
    We are being rather selective to serve our purposes here aren't we. The truth is, as long as Bush is in the Whitehouse the stock market has NO CONFIDENCE. Has nothing to do with Obama.

17. Susan

This is like a bad dream...
    GO
    AWAY
    SARAH
    PALIN!!!!!!!!!!

November 21, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  18. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

As a good freind of mine would say "That's unfortunate."
    Look, all of us who eat turkey and dressing over Thanksgiving knows that this happens. Same with all of us who eat hamburgers, or pork chops, or chicken (should've started with that one first), or bacon, etc.

Problem is she should've been aware of her background and not stood there. Even if the guy wasn't going to slaughter the turkey right then, standing in front of the set up where the turkey's are killed was just bad planning on her staff's part. Or hers.

And the poor planning, along with poor grammar, and poor thoughts about "pro-America parts of the country", etc., is why more than 55% of those polled don't think she's qualified too be in leadership in the federal gov't.

19. TJ

Gotta say I agree with Ryan on this one. Please STOP!

20. gobble

What did she say? Sarah herself is the Turkey. Alaska put a muzzle on her, please.

21. mustardseed

o boy! what's next?

22. Adam

Cheney was in charge of the "Turkey" too... look where that got the country...

I think I'll have ham this thanksgiving...

23. To Clint

Clint are you an idiot? This has nothing to do with democrats or republicans? I admit this article is a waste of time but you should put your inepetness in perspective

24. hey clint

your just like sarah......... a republican loser!

25. Tupac

Well she is right on that, most do consider her in charge of this new Republican party. :)

BTW I thought she was there to keep an eye on Putin and that evil Russia to keep the rest of us save down here.

November 21, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |