November 21st, 2008

Palin interview causes stir

An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.
An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.

(CNN) - It’s the ultimate holiday photo-op for any governor: the yearly pardoning of a turkey to spare it from demise days before Thanksgiving.

But former Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin is causing a stir for an interview she gave after pardoning an Alaska turkey Thursday, during which one bird was being slaughtered in the background.

Palin appeared unaware of what was going on directly behind her, though she did seem to take a glance at the unfortunate event at one particular point during the interview.

"It's nice to support a local business and just participate in something that isn't so heavy handed politics that invites criticism," Palin said during the interview. "Certainly will probably invite criticism for even doing this too, but at least it was fun."

"I am always in charge of the turkey so I am where I need to be today to prepare for that," she also said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,391 Responses)
  1. CMJ

Morbid. Tasteless. Insensitive.

November 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  2. Evon

She is on a turkey farm you clueless people. That is what they do...slaughter Turkeys...duh!

November 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. Robert

Please stop with the Palin talk and the animal abuse stories. CNN has a habit of airing too many abuse of animals stories which only make me hate people more and more. I can't believe any animal has to die to feed a republican. Palin is a national joke and represents what is wrong with half our population-extremely stupid, self righteous loud mouths.

November 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  4. BC

I am no fan of Sarah Palin and wouldn't want her within 100 miles of the White House, but I feel sorry for her on this one – she just can't seem to get anything right (probably a good reason why she shouldn't be the VP of the United States.)

November 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  5. Brown Pelican

It was Tina Fey, don't you get it? It's a spoof that will show up on Saturday Night Not So Live.

November 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  6. Joe in WV

Gee I don't think Saturday Night Live could have made up something this funny....

November 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  7. Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez

I wondered if she pardoned all the moose she shot?

November 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  8. Jeff Muse

Fact: Turkeys die for Thanksgiving, and Sarah Palin speaks poorly. Neither of these is news. Sensationalism demeans us all.

Please focus on what matters right now: the economy, the transition of leadership and any constructive stories you can share about how Americans and other nations are coping with these difficult, confusing times.

November 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  9. Turkey

I thought Turkey's came from the supermarket.

November 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  10. MMW

and who cares? for those of us that eat turkey how else do you think it gets there? this is newsworthy why? why not report on the actual starving children living on the streets and feed them the turkey... cmon peeps.

November 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  11. Alex

Wow....that woman is a walking gaffe cluster . She is only aware of herself and she proves it over and over and over and over...

November 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  12. Woman Against Palin

If I have said it once, I've said it a thousand times. – Can you even imagine this woman giving an acceptance speech – like the one Obama gave? How anyone in their right mind could think this woman is capable of running our country, is as crazy as she is. The way she speaks is, dare I say, worse than Bush.

November 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. demwit

You mean they kill turkeys in Alaska for Thanksgiving??? How rude..

November 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  14. Pat Huntington NY

Almost makes you wanna have a Vegan Thanksgiving!

November 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. Kickboxed by the Dow

All said and done , Palin is an honest and good person...but the picture here is just plain funny.....

November 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. Republican

For all the people who codemn sarah's interview. TURKEY DOESNOT GROW ON TREES!! IT HAS TO BE KILLED LIKE THE ONE IN THE PHOTO!! LETS SEE HOW OBAMA EATS HIS TURKEY, PLUCKING IT FROM TREE.

CNN – YOU NEED SOMETHING ELSE TO REPORT ON....BE PRACTICAL.

November 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. MW

Gotta love her! Sarah Palin in 2012.

November 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  18. donna

Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.
    With this woman, we almost did it again.

There are way too many out there who have yet to learn the lessons of the last eight years and exactly WHY we are in the catastrophic mess we now find ourselves.

Keep reminding us of what almost happened.

November 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  19. Gloria - Minnesota

Since she enjoys killing animals so much, I'm sure she was very comfortable in that setting!! (She also kills the English language!)

It has been so nice not to hear much about her this week, and now this wonderful moment had to be brought to everyone's attention!

Please, enough with Palin; she isn't worth the time, money, or energy!

November 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

Im. . . Gobble Gobble. . . Right Where. . . Gobble Gobble. . . I Need To Be. . . Gobble Gobble! . . . Too Bad Your Campaign Was Not Given A Pardon By The American People!

November 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  21. Frank Durberry

Trust me,
    we know Sarah very well here at the State building.
    She is an idiot! Talking to her is like talking to a 13 year old Hannah Montana fan. Oh my gosh! and Totally and like yeah and stuff.
    This is the real her, Beauty queen politician!
    She didnt get the job because she was qualified, she got the job because people look and dont listen. Check out her college records.
    She went to like 6-8 schools always on the verge of flunking out.
    So rather than flunk out she transferred......every time.

November 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. FLA Mom

Give the woman a break! Those birds are so dumb they drown looking up to see where the rain is coming from. I'm saving a 25 pounder from drowning this Thanksgiving myself.
    V-E-G-I-T-A-R-I-A-N = Old Indian word for 'Bad Hunter'.

November 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  23. Knucklehead

LiberalsHateAmerica: The current Republican administration is pouring 700 billion taxpayer dollars on the banking system. They bailed out AIG. Is this your idea of Republican free enterprise? We are all socialists now.

Remember it was Republicans that created a half a trillion dollar deficit. They wage two wars and cut taxes at the same time. And then they call themselves "conservative." Schizophrenic fits better.

November 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  24. Amazed

I am glad I don't live in Alaska.

November 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  25. CanIcallyouJoe

My god this was funny. It was almost not enjoyable at all, seeing as Palin WOULD NOT SHUT UP as usual.

I love how the guy in the back is just shoving turkeys into the machine and then turning around to listen to her. Oh god, my sides were hurting.

As much as I find her unbelievably hilarious – not really her actions as much as people actually thought she would be adequate for vice president – I fear her just as much. Again, not because of her immediate actions, but the actions she would take if the complacent, ignorant, backwards morons who voted for her actually got what they wanted.

November 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |