November 21st, 2008

Palin interview causes stir

An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.
An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.

(CNN) - It’s the ultimate holiday photo-op for any governor: the yearly pardoning of a turkey to spare it from demise days before Thanksgiving.

But former Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin is causing a stir for an interview she gave after pardoning an Alaska turkey Thursday, during which one bird was being slaughtered in the background.

Palin appeared unaware of what was going on directly behind her, though she did seem to take a glance at the unfortunate event at one particular point during the interview.

"It's nice to support a local business and just participate in something that isn't so heavy handed politics that invites criticism," Palin said during the interview. "Certainly will probably invite criticism for even doing this too, but at least it was fun."

"I am always in charge of the turkey so I am where I need to be today to prepare for that," she also said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,391 Responses)
  1. Babs from Ohio

Even Britney Spears makes more sense in interviews then this woman. As for the turkey, I am aware of where it comes from. I don't need to see it on TV.

I agree with most in the fact that this woman needs to just go away. If this is the best Alaska has, all I can say is "WOW!".

November 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  2. babbling idiot

Q: What's the difference between a turkey and the Governor of Alaska?

A: Lipstick!

November 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  3. Carramia

Please CNN what do I have to do to make this woman go away and you stop reporting on her. I mean if I wasnt laughing so hard I would be crying ...... Look shes probably not a bad govenor with a population of 666,000 and a permanent budget surplus. But this woman is a joke on the national scene. I mean to give one turkey a pardon while the other one is being butchered is hysterical . PLEASE shes not very bright. Please she needs to go away. If I send money will you stop reporting on her?

November 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  4. Joe The Engineer

Com' on guys leave her alone now.

November 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  5. Allen

This story is only offensive to the big city folk that are not used to this sort of thing. Gov. Palin is a country girl and she is not trying to hid it and she shouldn't.

Come on people, get out a little and get a life.

November 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  6. patrick

"It appears the stock market knows how to spot a socialist better then the mainstream media."

Let's see....that would be the stock market companies that were funded with taxpayer money/nationalized (socialism) with 70 billion bucks by Prez Bushtin and allowed to become banks so they could borrow your money Mr. Liberalshateamerica"? It was startling to hear the republinumbs calling Obama a socialist when Bushtin was nationalizing the banking/equities industry. I think only Gov. Pailout believed that one!

November 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  7. mcpreacha

What is with the Palin bashing?
    I thought everyone was so inspired and overwhelmed by the Obama win? I thought petty things like disrespecting a woman for the way she talks, where she lives, and what she does, would be beneath such an inspired and changed people?
    Inspired and changed.....no, more like self centered and egocentric attitudes from the least mature voters/supporters ever.

November 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. Not enough news today?

You've got to be kidding! How is this newsworthy? I can understand a story if she was a vegetarian or something.

Most of us eat turkey and someone has to kill it first. It looked pretty humane to me. It's not like he chased it around the yard with a baseball bat or something. I am thankful that the turkey gave its life to find it rightful place next to the stuffing and mashed potatoes…

November 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

She is one insensitive, stupid woman.

November 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  10. Matt

It's a gaff, a fairly innoscent gaff. But a very funny one nonetheless! Any political relevence? none.

November 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  11. Damis

What in the blazes does this story do on CNN's site first page? (Other than to show its true colors as the partisan, anti Palin/Republican counterinsurgency squad that it has become?).

November 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  12. Brian from Chicago

You know, it's not as if "under a hail of gunfire" should serve as an example of good grammar. At least Palin will remember this event precisely as it happened.

November 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  13. Jo Anne Weathers - Colonia, N.J.

I simply do not have words for the spectacle of Gov. Palin and the
    turkey slaughter last night.
    Even the most avid Republican who LOVED her during the general
    and after, has to admit – she simply is not White House material.
    She is a very attractive woman, but that is all.
    She is not an accomplished politican and her mothering skills could
    use some help as well.... Poor little Piper and Trig!!!!
    Please – let her go back to her life in Alaska and raise her children.
    The public scrutiny of the past three months should also have Alaskans scratching their heads as to how they ever elected her Governor of their great state. I feel so sorry for all involved.
    Thank God Barack Obama and Joe Biden were elected.

November 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  14. Kay

Palin "has no issue" with where the turkey-slaughter interview took place? That implies she was ASKED about the scene behind her.

I'm sure some obviously more sensitive person, perhaps the cameraman or the producer of this interview segment, asked her because they knew the interview would be televised perhaps during the dinner hour (6 PM news). That more sensitive person figured there ARE some people who have their TV turned on to watch the news while they're eating dinner with their family - which includes small impressionable children, presumably.

I hate to think what kind of teacher Sarah Palin would make, if she'd gained an Education degree in those 6 years of college and then qualified for a teaching certificate. Yeah, hands-on demonstrations on field dressing a wild animal or a domestic food-source beast in her home room at the local middle school...

November 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  15. Dchoate

If you want to become a vegetarian , you may want to learn how to spell it!!!!!!!!!!

November 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  16. Richie

If this doesn't make you a vegetarian, you have no heart.

November 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  17. Palin what books do you read? Gosh dang it, another gotcha question.

Palin conducted this controversial interview to keep herself in the limelight. What a jive turkey she is.

November 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  18. Karen, Arkansas

"Palin appeared unaware of what was going on directly behind her.." she was when she was running for office as well.
    This woman needs to go back into obscurity!

November 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  19. heather4Obama

when will Palin come to her senses and realize that she is pure entertainment. The more the camera is on this woman the more she keep looking like a fool. Every time I see her now I feel so sad for her that she does not realize the disservice the media is doing to her. Look at McCain...he has been barely seen on tv since the election.

November 21, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  20. PA

I wonder who is smarter......?

November 21, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  21. lilac, Toronto

God, please please give her some wisdom. We beg you!

November 21, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  22. Mike Dallas

One would think that the half wit would want to save one of her own kind.

I am so glad this twit is toast.

November 21, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  23. plageman

Americans will eat about 45 million turkeys this Thanksgiving. Where do you people think theycome from? Get over it!

November 21, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. Robin - Arkansas

You Dem's are lame. Do you see those of us that were NOT for Obama still dragging him out? I have respect for the Office, not the man that will be in it soon, so I keep my mouth shut. I am betting those that are still whinning about Sarah have either no life or a low IQ and can't get on with worrying about real issues like "the economy, stupid!" I really hope to GOD that Obama delivers on all his promises, but if not, I will be the one laughing. So let's just get on with it, CHANGE things, please! This is about as newsworthy as Obama getting his old phone account looked at by Verizon employees.

I want to see what the big 3 are going to give me for my money, I want to see Warren Buffett in charge of the economy. I want to know if Caylee is dead and why did Casey do it. I want snow for christmas and Santa to drop food in the Congo. And I am looking very forward to having that stupid turkey on my table this year, fried.

Independent Sarah supporter and proud.

November 21, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  25. Tangerine

Say what you will about Sarah Palin and how she energized the GOP, bottom line is that we deserve better than even considering her as anything other than what she is, governor of Alaska. There are too many other worthy GOP folks who worked their way up the hard way. We as a country should just forget this unfortunate chapter and let her just go away...we have too many real problems that need to be addressed by professionals, not this flake.

November 21, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |