November 21st, 2008

Palin interview causes stir

An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.
An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.

(CNN) - It’s the ultimate holiday photo-op for any governor: the yearly pardoning of a turkey to spare it from demise days before Thanksgiving.

But former Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin is causing a stir for an interview she gave after pardoning an Alaska turkey Thursday, during which one bird was being slaughtered in the background.

Palin appeared unaware of what was going on directly behind her, though she did seem to take a glance at the unfortunate event at one particular point during the interview.

"It's nice to support a local business and just participate in something that isn't so heavy handed politics that invites criticism," Palin said during the interview. "Certainly will probably invite criticism for even doing this too, but at least it was fun."

"I am always in charge of the turkey so I am where I need to be today to prepare for that," she also said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,391 Responses)
  1. Bill

Now, I'm not a Palin fan but this is irresponsible reporting.

November 21, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. KM

The Palin pooches continue to rush to the the defense of this idiot. Yes, yes we know how the these tasty critters get to our table. Like Palin, her pooches are absolutely clueless to the irony and hilarity that is taking place behind her.

A savvy politician knows not to stand in front of a dumpster when discussing garbage hauling.

What's happening in the background distracts from anything relevant she might have to say.

3. Lena

For goodness sake, give it up already. So she's on a turkey farm and they are killing a turkey behind her. How else do you people think all those millions of people who eat turkey on Thanksgiving get the frozen turkey if it isn't killed?! And who cares that she's there? I personaly don't. Show me news worth my time reading and watching about.

4. huh

Why is this even news....

5. Ian Minneapolis, MN

Good god people. Yes, it's palin, she's not that cool, but just leave her alone! If you eat meat than you shouldn't say anything mean on these posts.

6. Jon

You naive boobs!!! Where do you think meat comes from, the sky???

7. Flatcoat

You would think that during a photo-op for pardening a turkey they would stop working for a minute. That being said, I will have to agree that the turkeys – or other animals we eat – were once alive (so were the plants. actually we commonly eat plants while they are still alive!). Someone had to do the "dirty deed." I have killed my share of animals for eating. I realize that not everyone can do that but don't ostracize those who do. Now, with that being said I need to get back to butchering the deer hanging in the garage. Bye.

8. Samael

Come on. How did you folks think Turkeys ended up in those plastic bags defeathered and frozen? That's been going on far longer than Palin's bid for Vice President.

9. Kimberly

I LOVE SARAH! She is the funniest woman I've ever heard and watched! I have been laughing at this woman since she first appeared to us! She's a comedian from Alaska right?

She's great. Best impersonation of the dumbest person alive I've ever seen. Really. No one better.

10. John

Was that "Billy Bob the turkey-beheader" with Sarah the Pinhead?

11. Veggie

Who cares! The only people offended by this would be the animal lovers and vegetarians. Believe me, we didn't like her anyway.

12. Shari, NY

"Someone has to "speak up" on economy". This is the heading for one of the most pressing issues put forth by CNN. As mentioned before, I am not intrested in Huckabee's bid for 2012 (if we get there). Palin's pro-life stance while Tom Turkey goes to his grave touches the nerve of many but still I am not interested. I am no Scrooge but Santa Claus melodies being belted out since early November on some radio stations are not music to my ears. ECONOMY anyone?

13. Paul

vic

I thank God every day that this woman didn't get elected for vice president!!!

Can I 2nd that

14. jerry1

WE NEED TO REALLY TAKE A STEP BACK IN THIS COUNTRY!!!! WE WORRY ABOUT TURKEYS AND CHICKENS BEING KILLED OR "SLAUGHTERED". WHERE DO THESE PEOPLE THINK THE MEATS THEY BUT IN THE GROCERY STORES COME FROM? THE FOOD FAIREY?????
    WE NEED TO STAND UP, GROW A BACKBOE, AND GET THIS COUNTRY BACK UP TO WHERE IT SHOULD BE.. IF THE DEMOCRATS ARE NOT GOING TO DO ANY BETTER IN THE NEXT FOUR YEARS THAN THE LAST MONTH, WE'RE REALLY IN BIG, BIG TROUBLE...

15. Rob

It looks like her fortunes appear to be changing for the worse. First Stevens loses, and then this.

Maybe we will see a quick and final good riddance to this shameless opportunist.

16. ED

She just turned me into a vegetarian. What a jerk. It's not enough that she supports the horrid slaughtering of wolves, now we get to witness the slaughter of turkeys, while she gabs on and on, as if nothing is happening?

17. Todd (indianapolis)

To all of those out there who claim "why is this news"? It isnt! Its just freakin funny. Im sorry your candidate lost, but get over it and learn how to laugh. Its ok to find humor in life right wingers. "1-20-09" then end of an error".

18. Mark

Typical biased liberal media...just keep printing ANYTHING that can have a negative tone for her and keep blowing smoke up my arse when it comes to your no do no wrong picks. Hypocritis!!!

November 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  19. Tony B

Irony, thy name is Sarah Palin...

Rule #1 of television interviews – don't do one when live animals are being slaughtered over your left shoulder, especially if the purpose of the photo op was to pardon a live animal.

Rule #2 of television interviews – if the video clip of your interview comes with a warning about "graphic content", fire your PR staff immediately.

November 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  20. Gambi

As Thanksgiving approaches we have many things to be thankful for and one of them is that Palin did not become our Vice- President. Amen

November 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  21. LMAO!!!!!!

Ha ha ha ha!

Enough of Palin already. Come on now.

November 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  22. jeff jones

Only a story CNN would even think about running. Sarah Palin is a conservative and she is excoriated because she happened to have her picture taken while a yummy turkey is being slaughtered. Who the freak cares? When that idiot Stephanaphoulous (sic) corrected Obama about his "Muslim faith" it went unnoticed or unchallenged by the media. The media is liberal and they suck the toe of Obama. Give me a break

November 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  23. big time

This woman is dammed if she does and dammed if she doesn't . It's a Turkey, it's Thankgiving. If you eat it , it has to be killed first. In Alaska, it looks like they get the Turkey fresh and not from Krogers or Food Lion. My steak doesn't come from steers and my canned fish doesn't come from the ocean. Whats wrong with people??

November 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  24. Sunnyvale

I'm terrified! Was the turkeys family notfied? Was that turkey the sole breadwinner for the family? How many under age turkey children were left behind?
    What will happen to the dead turkey? When and where is the funeral?
    I want to be there to eat a turkey sandwich and show my support. Someone should start a help fund so we can donate money for the turkey family, maybe a candlelight vigil?
    Somebody help!! Don't show any more pictures!! The children, my god the children!!

November 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  25. Lori, Houston Texas

I see she never returned the RNC's Burberry scarf. Unless there is a Burberry store in Wasilla... Nah, she's just a typical Republican thief. Profits before People. Party before Country. The Me First crowd.

November 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |