November 21st, 2008

Palin interview causes stir

An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.
An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.

(CNN) - It’s the ultimate holiday photo-op for any governor: the yearly pardoning of a turkey to spare it from demise days before Thanksgiving.

But former Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin is causing a stir for an interview she gave after pardoning an Alaska turkey Thursday, during which one bird was being slaughtered in the background.

Palin appeared unaware of what was going on directly behind her, though she did seem to take a glance at the unfortunate event at one particular point during the interview.

"It's nice to support a local business and just participate in something that isn't so heavy handed politics that invites criticism," Palin said during the interview. "Certainly will probably invite criticism for even doing this too, but at least it was fun."

"I am always in charge of the turkey so I am where I need to be today to prepare for that," she also said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,391 Responses)
  1. Greg M

She is a turkey and she got upset , because she thought that the turkey behind her was trying to take her place as the biggest turkey of all times. There republican turkeys.

November 21, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  2. Tammy Mentzer

I am a member of Peta and am aware 24/7/365, not just Thanksgiving time, in other words, of the unnecessary suffering of animals for human pleasure, however, I have to say what is everyone in such an uproar about seeing this poor animal suffer? Most people eat meat – do they not think animals suffering constantly for human consumption or is it just that people think it's okay to eat animals as long as they don't have to witness them being killed. What hypocrisy. QUIT EATING MEAT! It is NOT necessary, in fact, vegetarianism is a MUCH healtier diet, you will live longer and animals won't suffer.

November 21, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. wammy

The stupidtity of people who get on her case for being in the vicinity of a turkey being slaughtered is what is so "entertaining". My grandmother lived on a farm, and they killed chickens for food by wringing their necks–thats how it was done in the early part of last century– but most of you would be condemning her for that.

November 21, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. Dee

The cameraman should have been able to see what was happening behind her and TURNED to a different angle..that didn't need to be seen by folks..hopefully no KIDS were watching the interview...I had no plans on voting for McCain/Palin but it seems the press is just clamoring at anything to make her seems more and more like a joke!!!

November 21, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. Lynne

I'm sorry, but that is hilarious.

And, who does she surround herself with? She needs a new team of handlers, again, if you ask me.

... and I'm still laughing.

November 21, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. Note To Future Candidates: Pick A VP With A Brain

Oh well, I guess she'll have to get "mavericky" in Alaska. We dodged that bullet.

Thank you Lord.

November 21, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  7. Jen

Palin kills and slaughters animals for fun; killing for food is pale in comparison.

For some of us, this is disgusting. This is one of the many reasons why I have chosen a much healthier eating lifestyle: vegetarian.

November 21, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  8. Barbara

We are all lucky we weren't subjected to seeing her slice the turkeys' head off.. She loves to hunt and "dress" moose.. She loves to shoot wolves
    If this is life in Alaska and she representative they should let them secede... Ugh...

November 21, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  9. Animal Lover from NH

This isn't a matter of people realizing where our turkeys (or other meats for that matter) come from. This is a matter of someone who is blatantly CRUEL towards animals, and this is yet just another example of what kind of coward she is. Sure, many, many eat turkey and other meats (I am a vegetarian for those that may ask) but MANY are hoping and praying that one day barbaric acts like slaughtering are either a thing of the past, or are done w/ MUCH stricter humane laws and practices in place. I'm an independent who has been glued to CNN's site since Palin was announced as a running mate to McCain. Honestly – I never really understood politics, or what a Democrat/Republican even was – but I was SO horrified by Palin in general that I took a serious crash course, and I am SO beyond thankful that this person did not make it in to office. SHE is the reason McCain didn't my vote – so when she says she's sorry if she cost him even one vote – well, here's that one official vote from NH!

Sarah – show some dignity and go away, and while you're at it, leave these poor animals to live a life they deserve – you're no better than they are!

November 21, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  10. kimmey

Obama supporters bashing Gov. Palin again.

When will you guys get a life?

November 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  11. kevin

There's some symbolism for you

November 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  12. Greg

What's is happening behind Sarah Palin is nothing compared to what has been happening to her. Don't you think it is about time to leave her alone. I pray to God she runs in 4 years maybe just maybe you people will be enjoying Thanksgiving in the right spirit.

November 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  13. fefe

Give her break, she had enough negativity

November 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  14. TrueIndependent

To Kim @ 2.36 – Kudos for the observation.
    Like everything else about her, its a fake!

November 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  15. Country bumpkin

Col. Sanders does this eight million times a day. The big media isn't liberal, but it does have a big-city snobbish since all major media is based in Atlanta, New York or L.A.

November 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  16. BKB

She makes "dubya" look smart.

November 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  17. Lux Gurusamy

This woman can't do anything right.

Boy!!! am I glad I don't have to put up with her in my living room ( tv ) anymore.

November 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. Andyman

It's not a cruelty to animals issue here. It's the irony of Sarah "pardoning" one turkey whilst another gets the axe in the background. No matter. I'm sure the "pardoned" turkey met with the same fate after the cameras stop rolling. Too funny!

November 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. Abyssinian Lion

@Sarah in the South November 21st, 2008 2:36 pm ET
    Sarah you TOTALLY missed the point. I can see that you think like Palin and would give this outrageous interview also.

November 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  20. WhoCares?

It's on FoxNews also you conservative whack-jobs.

It's not simply a CNN story.

God, grow a brain.

November 21, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  21. jim

Vacuous – Palin is the ultimate example.
    Well done America for NOT voting for her. I am just so pleased that the press continue to court her, as every day gives further evidence of her total inability to understand her own shortcomings – and there are many.
    Pity God didn't speak to her today...

November 21, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  22. LOL

We city folks know how food gets to the table, we just don't want to see it, along with our kids, while we're at the table.

Sarah is a joke.

November 21, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  23. Amy

OK, I'm not a vegetarian, and I completely understand that animals have to die so we can live. I get that. I don't want to watch it, though! I don't want to see an animal get butchered, while Palin speaks.
    She should at least have more consideration for other peoples feelings on the matter. What would have happened if my 4 year old son saw this on TV? Yes, animals do get butchered so we can live and that's life, but in my child's eyes that's a horrible sight to see! I mean, this is on the NEWS!!! Seriously, the woman doesn't think about anybody else except herself!

So, she's either a complete moron (totally clueless to what goes on around her) or she actually ENJOYS watching animals get butchered, so she's a borderline sociopath. Which is it, Sarah?

November 21, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. Cheekz

I keep reading where people are restating that that's how we get turkey's on Thanksgiving. As if we don't know. But what I'm most appalled by is holding an interview in front of the slaughter itself. Who would want to watch that one week before Thanksgiving? It's not the turkey killing that so unbelievable, its her choice to hold an interview that is.

November 21, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. Dianne Porter

This woman has been slaughtering bunnies from the age of 10.
    Of course she moved on to bigger and better things, moose.
    She is a total walking idiot as we saw recently, so to think this
    is something that would phase her, or the likes of her is foolish.
    To have little children see something as grumsome as this is
    a shame and could have lasting effects on them.One good one would be they become vegetarians. Thank God the Country made
    the right choice or she might be out there shooting our dogs and cats given the opportunity. The jerk behind her actually enjoyed doing
    what he did, hope he stays in Alaska as well.

November 21, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |