November 21st, 2008

Palin interview causes stir

An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.
An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.

(CNN) - It’s the ultimate holiday photo-op for any governor: the yearly pardoning of a turkey to spare it from demise days before Thanksgiving.

But former Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin is causing a stir for an interview she gave after pardoning an Alaska turkey Thursday, during which one bird was being slaughtered in the background.

Palin appeared unaware of what was going on directly behind her, though she did seem to take a glance at the unfortunate event at one particular point during the interview.

"It's nice to support a local business and just participate in something that isn't so heavy handed politics that invites criticism," Palin said during the interview. "Certainly will probably invite criticism for even doing this too, but at least it was fun."

"I am always in charge of the turkey so I am where I need to be today to prepare for that," she also said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,391 Responses)
  1. Tina

What's so odd to me is that she has a cup of coffee in her hand while in the background you can hear the turkeys screaming..........WOW.....I mean she is supposed to be a seasoned politican........Photo Ops are part of being a good politician...........And what's with the hair.....seems she needs that 20k hair dresser........................Give it up Palin....seriously............

November 21, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. betsy

Ok, I am absolutely NOT a Palin fan, but for heaven's sake.........are people NOT aware that 'turkey pardoning' is as much a political tradition as tree lighting, egg rolling, and baby kissing? Here's how it works, folks.....TWO turkeys are presented. The politician picks ONE for a pardon. Yes, it's a photo opp.....like GROUNDHOG DAY! Please be aware that this is not just an Alaskan tradition. Did you read the article about the two boys from Ellsworth, IA, staying in a hotel in DC with THEIR two turkeys, waiting for the presidential pardon of one of them? (And lest I be accused of speaking Palinese, I wish to clarify that the TURKEYS are the ones vying for the pardon, and not the boys.)

Furthermore, it doesn't hurt anyone to become a little more aware of where our food comes from. Call it a history lesson, if you will. After all, the Pilgrims didn't get THEIR bird at the local Piggly Wiggly store!

November 21, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. Aymz

This is another example of Mrs. Palin not knowing what is going on around her.

November 21, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  4. colleen

You know, the other candidates for national office were vetted for two years, while S Palin came out of nowhere. Sure, she's attractive, has an in-your-face kind of attitude, seemed to be in command of herself, but the more we see of her, the more I suspect she is less-than-intelligent.

I mean: how does one not consider the effects of "Slaughterhouse 5" going on just behind her. I was incredulous, as the unsuspecting turkey was pressed down into the guillotine-like mechanism and she blithely commented, "I'm where I need to be."

Yes, we all know these birds are killed for our Thanksgiving dinners, but one would think she could at least be aware that it just seems unseemly to blithely go about an interview with such carnage in the background.

The more I see of her and know her in different venues, the more I realize we dodged a real bullet there; the turkeys wouldn't be the only victims if she'd prevailed.

November 21, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  5. Oregonian

I hope all of you who are criticizing Gov. Palin over this are not eating turkey for Thanksgiving. Let's stop the hypocrism!

November 21, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  6. jeff

This isn't news.

November 21, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. Theresa

This story is so absolutely ridiculous. Are we truly going to waste our time on stories like this or are we going to focus on real news? By the way, Alaska is the only state recession proof. I think she must do a pretty good job running her state and I don't think she is as dumb as the media makes her out to be.

November 21, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  8. Susan

America – we REALLY missed the bullet on this one. Thank you 'higher power'.

November 21, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. Monica

I hope everyone here who's criticizing Palin in this video is a vegetarian, otherwise you're a big hypocrite. Where do you think those turkeys wrapped in plastic at the grocery store come from?

November 21, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  10. Stupefied

Wow.... this is news...?

News flash: in order to be eaten turkeys die.

November 21, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  11. rene

She could have picked a better back drop.

I understand that this is the "turkey" process but the interview wasn't about "the preparation before the preparation of your turkey dinner show!"

She had to know and she even stated that she would get her knew critics to chat...perhaps she should lay low and really work on her image.

I have empathy for her. However, if you are going to jump in front of the media be prepared for conflicting views.

November 21, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  12. Annie

Does anyone have a clue to what she is saying? I start out listening to the first half of her sentence and by the second half, I am completely lost. Seeing her words printed out actually makes it worse. She speaks PALINSH!!
    Could someone please buy her a pronoun, a comma and a period!!
    There was a reason why the press did not have access to her. The more I hear her speak, the more I understand why McCain's crew kept her away.
    That said, I am begining to feel sorry for her. I think she needs a really good publicist.

November 21, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  13. Andy

pleeeease make her go away.

November 21, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  14. Tim in Tx

I find it odd that the same people who accuse Republicans of making up nonsense and trying to scare the electorate about Obama, now employ the same pratices they claim to deplore. "Our earth would blow up"? "Al Queda licking their lip"? "She's an idiot"? Do you read this crap before you send it? New Media, can we move to more pressing issues? PLEASE?

November 21, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  15. Anonymous

What does it mean?! Each word separately has a meaning but together they do not form any coherent thought at all.
    I realized that Palin is in charge of turkeys when I watched her rallies. Could she mean that?

November 21, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  16. Lucy

I don't think Palin was aware that a turkey was being slaughtered behind her, but the person who operated the camera knew it. I'm sure someone reviewed the film before it aired. I saw it and I was totally turned off by the scene and I don't appreciate the news showing that just days before Thanksgiving. I know that people eat meat all the time but we don't want to see someone fighting with the animal while trying to stuff it into a funnel to chop it's head off. Seeing the animal fight for it's life is a scene that's embedded in my brain and I won't be eating turkey for Thanksgiving this year.

November 21, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  17. Kyle

Paul, what exactly do you call "winning
    in Iraq??? Only 10 dead GI's in the month instead of 20...don't be a fool

November 21, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  18. Sue

Dear God, we are eternally grateful to you for not letting this turkey of a bimbo become our VP. Please continue to watch over us and NOT let her come anywhere near Washington. Amen.

November 21, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  19. The Artful Dodger

This makes me think of a new phrase: That is SO Palin! Next time my wife kicks the cat, I'll say, "That is so Palin."

November 21, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  20. Sandy

This is the most discusting thing I think I have ever seen! I will never look at my plate of turkey the same again. OMG !!!!!!!!

November 21, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  21. Fred Phelps

What is your point? As I am sending this email a turkey is dying somewhere, and I do prefer to eat turkeys dead instead of alive. Happy Thanksgiving and MERRY , MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL.

November 21, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  22. K

Maybe it's not a pretty sight, but where do you people think the turkey and ham you buy in the store come from? Little fairies drop them from turkey and ham heaven? Get a grip, people! Thankfully, you all didn't live back in the pioneer days in this country...

And one more thing, why do people insist on focusing on her dialect when she speaks? Have you never heard the accent before? And why do you hammer her, yet hang on every mis-spoken word by every "beloved" rap artist and ghetto rat? I'm just axing...

November 21, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  23. Lyle

Sarah Palin is more aware than the majority of Americans. Yes, turkeys are slaughtered because humans have to eat. But why are millions of human babies slaughtered each year through abortion? Why are Americans less disturbed by abortion than they are by the slaughter of animals for food? Sarah Palin has more respect for life than many.

November 21, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  24. doc

too bad they were'nt chopping off obamas head in the background,

November 21, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  25. oh no

hey, at least the one she pardoned wasn't the one that met its demise....

November 21, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |