November 21st, 2008

Palin interview causes stir

An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.
An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.

(CNN) - It’s the ultimate holiday photo-op for any governor: the yearly pardoning of a turkey to spare it from demise days before Thanksgiving.

But former Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin is causing a stir for an interview she gave after pardoning an Alaska turkey Thursday, during which one bird was being slaughtered in the background.

Palin appeared unaware of what was going on directly behind her, though she did seem to take a glance at the unfortunate event at one particular point during the interview.

"It's nice to support a local business and just participate in something that isn't so heavy handed politics that invites criticism," Palin said during the interview. "Certainly will probably invite criticism for even doing this too, but at least it was fun."

"I am always in charge of the turkey so I am where I need to be today to prepare for that," she also said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,391 Responses)
  1. Krystal

OMG! You guys!! It's FREAKIN FUNNY and IRONIC, seeing as how she'd just PARDONED A TURKEY and now she's standing in front of a guy who's chopping the head off of turkey (seems THAT one didn't get a pardon! LOL!)

BUT IT'S FUNNY!!! Even Palin supporters should be able to see the irony of the situation!! If you can't, then you really need to get a life!

And for people who made a fuss of how she's such a horrible person that she kills all sorts of animals.... congratulations... you just read WAY too much into the whole thing (and I'm being sarcastic here!)

IT'S FREAKING FUNNY!!! LEAVE IT AT THAT!! CHUCKLE AT THE IRONY, AND MOVE ON!!!

November 21, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. Sherrie

She might as well have put her own head in that collander... it was more interesting than whatever that thing holding a take-out coffee was spewing!

November 21, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  3. Charlie

Gov.Palin bashing has become a sport of the main stream media.

It doesn't matter what Palin does; she will be atacked by the main stream media.

Gov.Palin said; "Certainly we'll probably invite criticism for even doing this, too" ; and she is right.

On the other hand ; Obama has a "love affair" with the main stream media and they will support and shield him.

November 21, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. PDX Gal

I can't believe how many repugs here don't get the irony.

November 21, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. Marinda

I was not a follower of Governor Palin during the presidential election. However, I cannot see what this has to do with anything. I mean really what difference does this make? So what if a turkey is being killed behind her. I mean really isn't there anything else going on in this wide world????? Sorry if I offend anyone...I just needed to get this off my brain.

November 21, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. Terri, Atlanta

I saw the interview on MSNBC last night – she is always reciting the same old same old – "beauty pageant answers" boy where is her hair and makeup people? LOL she sure does not look the same. This woman is one big ignoramus!

November 21, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  7. Vickie

@Idiots Trying to dump on Obama using this story
    "Oh yeah…when Obama eats turkeys, they are not killed. He just wills them onto his plate"

maybe – but he's certainly not dumb enough to be on national TV in front one actually being slaughtered!

How the heck does Obama have anything to do with Palin's Alaskan turkey slaughterfest?

November 21, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  8. Maggie in NYS

Gosh, I sure am glad there are so many republicans out there letting me know where my Thanksgiving turkey comes from, otherwise I'd never have known! I never, ever would have thought that turkeys were actually alive before they plopped down on my table. Do they do that to chickens, too?

Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that steak comes from actual cows, or that bacon comes from real pigs! I'm so happy you were able to educate me on that, because I was beginning to wonder.

LOL

The sad thing is that you guys can't seem to master the irony of the situation, or the economy for that matter.

November 21, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  9. Mama74

@ SteveF:

Get a grip. Just because someone knows what a Burberry scarf is does not mean they own one or are snobs. Pick up a magazine and you can tell exactly what is Burberry, they are pretty recognizable. I know what a Louie Vitton is and would never in my life own one.

November 21, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |

OBAMA=SOCIALIST PALIN=REAGAN
    OBAMA=SOCIALIST PALIN=REAGAN
    OBAMA=SOCIALIST PALIN=REAGAN
    OBAMA=SOCIALIST PALIN=REAGAN

November 21, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  11. sg

Yes people – Turkeys are raised on farms and then they have to be slaughtered and cleaned before being packed in the pretty plastic wrapper and put in a freezer. The media is a pack of fools to make a big deal out of this. Anyone who's grown up on a farm or hunted on a regular basis would act somewhat casual about this. It's life – Eat or be eaten. Idiots!

November 21, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  12. Val, Atlanta, Ga

Yes they do slaugter turkeys for eating but since I do not kill animals for sport I really would rather not see a grusome killing of any animal on TV weather I eat them or not. I eat pork and beef but I don't want to see them slaughtered on my TV screen, How sick.

November 21, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  13. TM in CO

Come on CNN. Let Sarah fade off into the Alaskan sunset. Who cares what she's doing or where she is? After the election, my hope was to never have to hear or look upon her again. Let her go back to the unknown person she was before someone shoved her down McCains throat.

November 21, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  14. an informed liberal

Liberals know how meat gets to the table. So don't get your blaze orange panties in a bunch, Republicans! And just because I eat meat doesn't mean I want to see the blood. I just wasn't brought up like that.

It was an unfortunate choice of background, and that was the journalist's fault, not hers.

I wonder what happened to the turkey she pardoned? My gut feeling is that this was a PR stunt and the critter was put right back in line for the ax. What else would they do with it? Buy it a parka and walk it around Wasilla?

November 21, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. sg

Seems all the Obama supporters are upset over this.

November 21, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  16. Jennifer

Next thing you know, we'll be hearing complaints that Sarah is sucking up more than her allotted amount of air. I wonder how the media feels about getting ratings by browbeating this lady repeatedly? It's also pretty pathetic that all of the people who dislike Sarah Palin are still disrespecting her. Their guy one-so lay off!

November 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  17. Debbie

Why is this dingbat still considered newsworthy?

I'd rather see Kato Kaelin back in the news. He at least had some entertainment value.

Give it a rest, CNN. There's a lot of more interesting news to report....with the emphasis on "news".

November 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  18. IndependentfromTexas.

Why can't she speak with proper grammar? There is no period! Sentences continue endlessly and they are usually run away sentences. Why can't Republicans nominate someone who can speak proper English? Oh I see. they want someone who can relate to Joe the Liar!!! Ha ha ha... Anti-intellectuals; anti-elitists; sad...

November 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  19. Bryan

To SteveF:

This is a news story covered by all major news sites. Check for yourself.

CNN won't pull this story. It's too funny!!!!

November 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  20. Kim

Hey, at least she's not shooting the turkey out of a helicopter.

November 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. Alex

Haha! I, for one, am kind of glad that Alaska is finally receiving its due place in the national spotlight.

November 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. Jimi NY

She is the definition of MORON. I can't believe she holds public office, let alone was almost the Vice President.

November 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  23. GraceR

geez...MSNBC must be desperate to keep Palin in the news. This was done at a small local farm in Wasilla with local press only there. MSNBC had to have gone through a lot of local affiliate footage to have found this. And Palin doesn't seem at all oblivious to what's going on, as she said they'd probably get criticism for it.

BTW....what's the big FN deal anyway? People in Alaska are used to seeing film like this everyday on TV. That way of killing turkeys is far more humane than the way my grandfather used to do it–and all us kids used to watch.

November 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. Max

What a shock. A news shot cashing in on the anti-Palin bandwagon. It's not Palin's fault that the cameraman used an inappropriate angle.

November 21, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  25. Simmy

To sg and other Repubs who lost:

It seems like you are hating on the winners, who are tired of the losers being so negative! Get a life, move on to Alaska with your girl!

November 21, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |