November 21st, 2008

Palin interview causes stir

An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.
An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.

(CNN) - It’s the ultimate holiday photo-op for any governor: the yearly pardoning of a turkey to spare it from demise days before Thanksgiving.

But former Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin is causing a stir for an interview she gave after pardoning an Alaska turkey Thursday, during which one bird was being slaughtered in the background.

Palin appeared unaware of what was going on directly behind her, though she did seem to take a glance at the unfortunate event at one particular point during the interview.

"It's nice to support a local business and just participate in something that isn't so heavy handed politics that invites criticism," Palin said during the interview. "Certainly will probably invite criticism for even doing this too, but at least it was fun."

"I am always in charge of the turkey so I am where I need to be today to prepare for that," she also said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,391 Responses)
  1. dolfina

I guess pardoning the turkey is a metaphor for Bush? I think I hear Cheney squaking in the background.

November 21, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

I voted for P.E. Obama and I am glad I did. Now, with that said, we just need to let Palin go. I grew up on a farm and this is how the business is done folks. Steaks don't come from grocery markets, they come from cows. I am done with her...she is the Governor of Alaska, let them deal with her.

November 21, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. Gerald C, Madison, WI

While the turkey killing in the background says little about Sarah Palin, her lack of command of the English langauge does. How anyone can see this woman as the Barack Obama of the Republican party is beyond me. She needs to study orators and leaders like Obama and Reagan, and figure out how to come across as intelligent, confident, and competent. She's got confident down, but where is the competence and intelligence required of a national leader?

Also, anything related to Sarah Palin has been deemed newsworthy by the media. They'll eventually find out that we really aren't all that interested.

November 21, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  4. Charlene

This Woman is an Idiot! She's the REAL TURKEY

November 21, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  5. Peyam

Well at least it wasn't a moose.

November 21, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  6. Matt

@ Clint

But I thot you Republicans wanted us to believe there is no such thing as "species" and that an invisible man in the sky with magic powers just planted us on the Earth after he created it 2,000-3,000 years ago when the dinosaurs were still around and people already wrote Bibles in English.

BTW, nobody's complaining that the turkeys were being slaughtered...that's what you get for being a turkey in November. We're making fun of Palin's complete obliviousness to what goes on around her and her uncanny, super-power-like ability to mangle our language.

November 21, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  7. Tina

I love how the turkey handler is panning to the camera. "Look Ma! I killed a turkey in front of Sarah Palin!"

November 21, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  8. vic nashville,Tn

Main stream media please let her go

She is 200 years behind of us

November 21, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  9. RAC

They quality news reporting in this country is below even our auto industry. They need a talent bailout asap.

November 21, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  10. Linda

With this (and hard reality) in mind, I will have all I can do to avoid vomiting at the dinner table Thursday. God all mighty.

November 21, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  11. Sukrut

Ok, I dont understand whats wrong? A turkey was killed...so big deal...on Thanksgiving people eat turkeys....

November 21, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. Jackie in NY

I'm not sure what the point is here... should she have stopped the guy from killing the turkey? Is that what we're going for? Or should she have changed her remarks to speak out against killing animals? What is the narrative exactly? Or is it just a distraction from the markets tanking and the economy going down the drain?

November 21, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. Bobo

What is cool about this is in my entire life I had never seen turkeys being killed for us to eat for Thanksgiving. Thanks to Sarah, I now know how it is done! Not the history channel, not the Discovery Channel but the Sarah Palin channel. Very educational!

November 21, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  14. Christine-Baltimore, MD

Apparently, neither of the 6 colleges she attended had an English department. What a sad example of the intelligence and leadership void in this country. And when will she realize she IS the joke...

November 21, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  15. Daniel

"How do you think we survived as a species? By killing and eating other lifeforms, that's how. Shut up and grow up!"

Clint, I couldn't agree with you more. Evolution...we evolved because we had the determination to be more than monkeys or what have you...if not, then maybe squirrels would have evolved and we'd be the hunted. You're either the hunter or the hunted...

November 21, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. Dave

This is as much a story as the cloths she wore during the election. Thank you CNN for being bias with yet another weak story. I don't wonder why that when asked, a lot of democrats that voted for Obama know what Palin's wardrobe was worth but don't know which party is in power in Congress. Go on not reporting on "Obama's run in 57 states" and his non-existent voting record (I can vote present too!). Or if you want more, how about all the "fibs" Biden made in the debate. How about his foreign policy record? *points to kuwait* No, the people don't want to hear that, they'd rather get stuff like "Palin's daughter is pregnant" and this garbage.

November 21, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. Dick

Is this as close as we are going to come to a refreshing break from all the dismall economic news?

November 21, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  18. Ron

I don't like Palin but this is a stupid report.
    #1 It's good for people to understand where our meat comes from.

#2 now she's no longer a threat to me the media should just let her hibernate up there!

You just know there's someone in the US that is surprised turkeys have a head, legs, wings and feathers.

November 21, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  19. Bridget

The turkey farmer actually slaughtered two turkeys during her interview, not one. The turkeys seemed to suffer...my question would be, does this farm practice humane techniques or do they not have those kind of regulations in place in Alaska?

November 21, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  20. dcain1

I Can't Stand that woman!!....BUT anyone who criticizes her for this is completely dense....EVERY turkey that is eaten on T-day is 'slaughtered'...they don't just die peacefully in an old folks home and end up nicely on your plate....let's not be so fickle and complacent people!! (Btw, i'll be eating my fair share of Turkey next week) :-)

November 21, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  21. Roxanne

Beth from Canada' get a clue. The USA didn't ALMOST pick her to be a heart beat away from the Presidency. Obama won in a LANDSLIDE– the race wasn't remotely close. Please don't say ALMOST!! The true Americans saw thru this idiot. Hell, she can't even speak a complete sentence!

November 21, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  22. Opee

Please CNN – your candidate won. You are beating a dead horse. When she runs 2012, you can dig this out of your archives. But for now, what is the greatest president-elect in history saying – about the economy? The Dow has been falling since the election. Call him on your special line and tell him to tell America he isn't going to steal any more money via taxes.

November 21, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  23. Vicki5

Somebody must have told her that all press is good press. If she could speak proper english, perhaps.

With all the interviews she's been doing, I guess her Governor's job isn't all that much work after all,

also.

November 21, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  24. Tim

Good grief. She can't even get a turkey pardoning photo op right. That doesn't even happen to GW

November 21, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  25. jules

Of course she was "unaware of what was going on directly" behind her. Isn't that Palin in a nutshell?

Besides, isn't slaughtering animals her favorite hobby? "You betcha!"

November 21, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |