November 21st, 2008

Palin interview causes stir

An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.
An interview Gov. Sarah Palin did Thursday is causing a stir.

(CNN) - It’s the ultimate holiday photo-op for any governor: the yearly pardoning of a turkey to spare it from demise days before Thanksgiving.

But former Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin is causing a stir for an interview she gave after pardoning an Alaska turkey Thursday, during which one bird was being slaughtered in the background.

Palin appeared unaware of what was going on directly behind her, though she did seem to take a glance at the unfortunate event at one particular point during the interview.

"It's nice to support a local business and just participate in something that isn't so heavy handed politics that invites criticism," Palin said during the interview. "Certainly will probably invite criticism for even doing this too, but at least it was fun."

"I am always in charge of the turkey so I am where I need to be today to prepare for that," she also said.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,391 Responses)
  1. G-Wiz

You want to guess why the most qualified Americans would never think of running for public office. You have to have more ego than brains because an intelligent person wouldn't put themself through this.

November 21, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  2. cg5455

I am tired of hearing about Sarah Palin, She is just too Redneck for my taste with all her talk about going out and shooting Moose and Wolfs from Choppers. I am tired of it and now have her standing in front of a place where they slaughter Turkeys is just to much... This woman has gotten her 15 minutes of fame, now go back to Alaska and leave this Wacko lady alone.. If this is the Best the Republicans can come up with for 2012, it should be a no brainier as to the Democrats winning again in a land slide decission. Did anyone watch Boston Legal 2 weeks ago when an employee was fired for voting for McCain from her job. I laughed for 10 minutes that finally someone said it like it is. I didn't laugh that McCain didn't get the vote but the person voted for Palin because she was pretty, and wanted a woman in the White House so her boss fired her. Dumb Dumb Dumb...

November 21, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  3. gekonge bwosano

These lady is a joke, she excels in ignorance,mediocrity and stupidy, come on Alaskans you are better than this. Let her talk of teen pregnancies, teen school dropouts, and children with special needs.
    I will send her a map so that she knows that Africa is a continent and that she cannot possibly see Entire Russia from her house.
    We have had enough of these comedy, Alaskans please recall your governor, get even an eight grader to govern she might know more geography than this Moose- killing -Tina FAY

November 21, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. Griff

Another Sick Blog.... 98% of America Eat's Meat... But they pick on Sarah Paling, while they their "Ham Samwich"....

November 21, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. Patricia in Las Vegas

hey Steve ... any woman on this planet that can read and has picked up a magazine in the last 10 years knows what a Burberry scarf is.

November 21, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  6. Too Stupid

She is a complete moron.

November 21, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  7. SD,Michigan

Sarah Palin, if you enjoy or don't mind this kind of stuff (turkey beheadings, killing moose, shooting wolves, etc), well, it's your right. I just don't wanna see it on national TV. Feel free to post it on youtube. this kind of "gross" home videos are always in demand by some people. Otherwise, Happy Thanksgiving!

November 21, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. LAURI

Was the burberry scarf part of the infamous clothing purchase?

November 21, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  9. Aditi

Animals are not safe around her !!!!

November 21, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. benjamin mensah

this is like a reality TV show "Flava of the Turkey"

November 21, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  11. Nathaniel

I'll have to say Palin is innocent on this one. Irony though ... actually more like funny.

November 21, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  12. seriously

who needs saturday night live when we have Palin?

November 21, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  13. Diggin

The ignorance in these comments is astounding.

The point is not about turkeys and how they are killed.

The point is that the incident of pardonning the turkey and subsequent interview were a political stunt and photo opportunity for Palin. Though they told her what was going on in the background, she saw no problem with it.

By deciding to do a photo op to get her face in the news, Palin ignorantly sees no problem with pardonning one turkey while others are slaughtered behind her – poor judgment. It's known as delicious irony.

November 21, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. Aditi

She sees Russia from her home, how could she miss this one ???

November 21, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  15. Kelly Parker

Uh.... Tina? Tina Fey?? Could you come back to work for awhile Saturday? We need you for another skit. C'mon.... PLEASE.... just ONE MORE TIME? We'll pay double the union scale... all you need to do is stuff a toy turkey down a meat grinder to get a few laughs.

Lorne Michaels, SNL

November 21, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  16. klk

Turkey life does not equal unborn baby life. Humans are more important than animals. How did this article turn into a slant on pro-life Americans. Weird.

November 21, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  17. Gobble gobble

Turkeys are suppose to be dumb (don't know if it is true or not) but I know for sure – Palin is dumb!
    She still loves to hear herself go on and on and on and on....oh her voice just grates on me and having to listen to her grammar. You know she is dumb when she doesn't even know people are laughing at her!

November 21, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  18. Constance

I certainly would never vote for her, but reporting on her in this manner it just going too far – its hateful and cruel.

Enough already !!! I come here for news not high-school nastiness ...

November 21, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  19. Allen in Hartwell, GA

This is turning into a(n) (un)Reality Show. Maybe we could call it "The GOP's Next Vice-presidential Candidate". Come on CNN, let it go!

November 21, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. musing

I guess it is the cluelessness that gets me, not the fact of turkey-killing, for which we can be grateful if we are not vegetarians. I mean, thank God someone else wants to do such a messy job. I grew up in a place where I witnessed the demise of many a turkey, one of which my family was given to eat by the farmer who did it, our landlord. It was a precious lesson in reality to live in that place when I was 5-6 years old, and I sent my children to farm summer camp so they could have a sense of everything required of that life.

But the dumb turkey pardoning – it sounds about as silly as many of the English customs around the monarchy, and I wonder if it doesn't derive from it. Perhaps it is even older. The ruler is important because he can spare life or take it. Sarah Palin understands that – it the monopoly of rulers, and it is why something like abortion would not be permitted in her realm. Sending troops to war, executing prisoners, bombing cities - all very well if the ruler is doing it. Not okay for the commoners.

I am already happier with a "ruler" who gets it that his rule is temporary, that he is actually a commoner who will return to relative powerlessness, and that he must therefore try to conduct himself for the greater good. But then Tony Blair, Bush's "poodle", was a liberal, educated Labour guy the way Obama is a Dem. I do hope Obama is much, much smarter. He will certainly be more powerful.

Sarah Palin is not going to be a presidential contender ever.

November 21, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. Negaunee

palin is just plain stupid

November 21, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  22. bk

CNN haven't you done enough? You and MSM already helped Obama win. Its time to leave Gov. Palin alone. You sexist pigs!

November 21, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  23. chuck

It's just a matter of time before we see this woman in a nude magazine. I think there are loose screws in Sarah Palin. I declared that this idiot and John McCain were the early thanksgiving turkies after loosing the elections.Sarah Palin did that interview on the farm to get a free turkey. Someone please investigate this scumbag now.This is how she operates all over Alaska taking a page out of Ted Stevens criminal book.

November 21, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  24. Negaunee

why do my comment always need to await moderation? Im not the only one thinking palin is a boob

November 21, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  25. me

This will make the right wing feel better for ther loss... What the heck?!!!

November 21, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |