November 21st, 2008

Sources: Richardson a 'serious contender' for Commerce post

After dropping out of the presidential race, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who had worked in Bill Clinton's administration, endorsed Barack Obama.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico is a serious contender for commerce secretary in the Obama administration, two sources close to the transition said Friday.

The same sources, however, cautioned that Richardson could be tapped for another senior post as well. They do not consider Richardson's appointment to the Commerce Department to be a done deal.

Richardson, 61, was a candidate for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination. Currently in his second term as New Mexico's governor, he previously served as ambassador to the United Nations and energy secretary in the Clinton administration.

1. anonymous in Big D

Nobama's going to "change" us all into the poor house!! Oh well, guess he thinks we need to be there along with this "others" that are already there.

November 21, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. Patrick Quigley

Commerce? How does that make sense? He's the qualified one for SoS. If Obama wants him as a Secretary so bad, give him the position he is qualified for and will be good at!

November 21, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. Sarah

I hope if he doesn't get this, he gets another position. He is qualified and deserves a high position in our government.

November 21, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. Santa fean

Although Gov. Richardson is a businessman, his strength is diplomacy and he truly should be Secretary of State. I say this with all due respect to Sen. Clinton.

November 21, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. thomas

Okay, but he might want to lose the "sieg heil" salute.

November 21, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. Why would anyone have confidence in Hillary as Sec. of State?

Hillary ran a terrible campaign by losing a 20 point lead she had over Obama. She hired the wrong people who did a terrible job and she finished the campaign $ 20 million in debt.

Is this the kind of performance we want out of a Sec. of State?????

Also did we vote for Obama to find the people we voted against (Hillary) in the positions most closely surrounding him???

November 21, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. John

Bill is an excellent choice for any position. Finally the team takes shape and the idiots are on their way out.

November 21, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Patriot from ATL GA

Richardson is a good man. It was a brave thing to endorse Obama before everyone else jumped on board. We love ya, Bill!

November 21, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. sara

Richardson for Secretary of State!

November 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Lee in Illinois

See you silly people who voted for Obama,,, he is clueless about running this country so he is getting the "clinton gang" back together to help him....

I am happy to see that he will have capable people to do his work for him..... so get over it and deal with !!!!!!

November 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. 2Nurselady

I do not think Bill Richardson has anything to add that is positive to this administration. I think he has not done well in his own state or in any other way since he's been in politics. He only got a tiny percentage, similar to that along the lines of Ralph Nader, IMO. I do not think he would do much for the Obama cabinet. I would rather see others with more capability.

November 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. LyonsPhilly

Richard maybe the change is in your dense depends.

November 21, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. Doug in New Mexico

As I am from NM I can say from certainty that Bill Richardson is one heck of a good guy. He listens and is responsive to the people... Go Bill!!!

November 21, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  14. Sara from Arizona

Oh, the next four years will be fun. If Obama was really smart, he would steer clear of those Clintons.

November 21, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. Sam

Richardson had one of the best qualification when running in the primary he will do an excellent job whatever he does. Obama is doing right by choosing previous political opponents unlike the one sided unreliable cronies of the current administration.

November 21, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  16. Lee in Illinois

I bet if Obama would not make a laughing stock out of himself he would probably say "I quit and pack up his doll dishes and go home "

November 21, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  17. andrea

I dont like Richardson but I wish him well.

November 21, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  18. Bill Clinton is sooooh happy.

Bill convinced Obama to make her Sec. of State just so she would be out of the country a lot and he could play with the Monica Lewinskys of the world.

He's so cool for a guy who managed to get himself Impeached. I don't think people internalize that he was Impeached and what that means.

November 21, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  19. Carolyn

Can we say "North American Union"

November 21, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  20. CMJ

I wish someone would fire these "sources"...these leaks are getting nuts!

November 21, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. Travis In Colorado

If I were Hillary Clinton, I would turn down the job. For months Barack ranted about how Hillary wasn't qualified to be president, and how the Bill Clinton Administration was lousy. So Hillary wasn't good enough to be president but Barack needed her so bad to campaign for him because he wasn't good enough to do it himself. And NOW she's good enough to be Secretary of State. And of course, we have Bill Richardson. This man owes his career to Bill Clinton, and then he turns on the Clintons and endorses Obama. This turncoat should get the job for the way he behaved, Barack needs another snake in his administration. Hillary, save your career, tell them to keep their job, and stick with the Senate. You'll be better off! We still love you Hillary, you and Bill!

November 21, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. CJ in FL

Sol...another Obamabot.

Richardson was THE most qualified of the ENTIRE field. But you clowns fell for glitz, smooth lines, and the chance to 'make history'. It's HILARIOUS that so many people didn't see Obama for the con man he is.

Obama before the election:

"We need change we can believe in!"

"We need change now!"

after the election:

"About that change...yeah, that's probably not going to happen..."

"Let's slow down on that 'change' stuff..."

LOL, suckers!

November 21, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  23. RAYMOND

do any one of you obama cool aid drinkers realize that the messiah knows that the 3am ad is true or is it only him and me.it scared the hell out of him

November 21, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  24. Gambi

Works for me......and by the way change is in the policy of the Obama Administration, change is in the ethical governing of doing the right thing for the American people, change is what lies ahead for all of us as we step into 2009 with a desire to change the course of our economy and change the way we are perceived throughout the world.

November 21, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  25. Fred "The Hammer" Williams

Barack ... I'm a Columbia man, like you, and I've got your back but Richardson in Commerce strikes me as quid pro quo.

I like him for Secretary of State over Hillary... i don't like him for Commerce ...

Maybe this is something you feel you've got to do ... politically ... and I'll understand that but I think you should dump Hillary or at least give her H&HS, give State to the former diplomat, Richardson, and find something else for Daschele.

I also hear that HUD is going to Miami Mayor ... don't know much about that new face...

I love Eric Holder, another Columbia brother for top cop at Attorney General. He is THE BEST qualified pick you've made so far.

Emmanuel ... the real pit bull ... will be good and making sure people don't sit on their you-know-whats and do nothing.

I like Summers for Treasury ... no time for lightweights ... Ladies get over your view that Summers is sexist ... he's not.

Napolitano is new blood at Homeland Security ...

Will be looking for several new faces to serve as the Deputies to these many Cabinet secretaries so that the Dems build the pipeline for future talent.

November 21, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |