November 21st, 2008

Sources: Richardson a 'serious contender' for Commerce post

After dropping out of the presidential race, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who had worked in Bill Clinton's administration, endorsed Barack Obama.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico is a serious contender for commerce secretary in the Obama administration, two sources close to the transition said Friday.

The same sources, however, cautioned that Richardson could be tapped for another senior post as well. They do not consider Richardson's appointment to the Commerce Department to be a done deal.

Richardson, 61, was a candidate for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination. Currently in his second term as New Mexico's governor, he previously served as ambassador to the United Nations and energy secretary in the Clinton administration.

1. Simmy

I am so happy I could scream! I think I will: BAZZZOOOOOOOOOO!!!

God bless this great President and Vice President, families, staffs, Americans, Foreigners – heck even Republicans!

November 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. SoCalBrotha

Richardson was my sec of state choice. Bummed he's not getting it but I hope he gets a good post in this administration.

I'll reserve my judgment on Hillary, she might be great, who knows.

I do know that the Obama team has been very judicious since day one of his campaign and have made good decisions. I'll go with them on this one and hopefully it works out great and they all look like geniuses.

November 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  3. Dem in NE

What do you guys expect? Do you want him to pick all unknowns – you need SOME people who know how to play, the CHANGE is having a President with intelligence and integrity at the helm making the policy. If he were to pick people out of obscurity you'd be criticizing that.

November 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. Jackie

Cange is about policy not people! You can teach old dogs new tricks!

November 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. An American

Personally I wish Hillary would have nothing to do with the Obama campaign – but since she is – I am so very, very glad if she beats Richardson out of being Sec. of State if that is the job he wanted. He is a user and all for himself. Glad if he gets it shoved to him. Hooooray!!

November 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. bimmer

That snake Richardson who bit Clintons will bite Obama again. He has no sruples. The face gives it away. Insidious, conniving.

November 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. John in KY

Let OBAMA and his team make these appointments, these people know what it will take to get the OBAMA administration moving forward with the Democratic agenda!
    Most of you Arm Chair Quarterbacks, know nothing of what the Washington agenda is, most of you probably voted for GW Bush in 00 & 04. And you see the fix we're in now!!!
    OBAMA will be our commander in chief 01/20/09 until then this is still BUSH's mess!!!

November 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. Manoie Hendershot

Obama how could you do this to Bill Richardson!! He came out for in the beginning of the campaign and in the meantime the powerful Clintons disowned him as a friend. He is much more deserving for SOS then Hillary. I supported you when it looked like you didn't have a chance against Hillary and Bill Clinton with all the dirty politics they threw at you. I called your office many times in Chicago saying what Bill was saying about you and the same with Hillary that were out right lies. I was so proud when you didn't buckle under and support her for Vice President. I thought you might offer her something but not this. She is more important than the Vice President with this position. Believe me when I say there will be a day you will regret this. They are powerful and dishonest and you have intregity but I am sad to say you really disappointed me with this deceision. I was hoping the power maching would disappear into the sunset.

November 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Free at Last

Richardson ins a good man...his advice will be helpful in any capacity.

November 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. rachel

See what happens backstab you get backstabbed. He probably only endorsed Obama in hopes of getting SOS. If he had endorsed Clinton instead of turning his back on her he probably would have gotten SOS had she been elected.

November 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  11. jean lindboe Bloomiing Prairie, MN

If Richardson is piicked for any important job in the next administration, is he going to wear his yellow pants and fright wig? Just wondering.

November 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  12. PRObama

Richardson is an amazing person who actually cares about the livelihood of all people. Everybody needs to understand that Obama also wants experience and just because he has appointed people from other administrations doesn't mean things are not going to change. By the way, all the pessimism makes you all look weak and unable to visualize that true change will happen! Where are all the positive bloggers?????????

November 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Randy

Ok people! The change will come! We are changing from a GOP gangster mentality to an intelligent, thoughtful and engaging administration.
    Hillary will be a great SOS because she already has a good relationship with most of the world leaders. And her husband gives us a "twofor". Bill Clinton is a great statesman. He can mentor Hillary and her staff.
    Bill Richardson is also a international figure. He has had the hard conversations North Korea and China. But Sec. of Commerce...I think is a waste of talent.
    Yes, GOP the change is here. You lost and we have to endure your whinning.
    Help Obama succeed and you will prosper! Hope that he fails and it is your own demise!

November 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. HouseDiva

Richardson would have made a better SOS

November 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  15. Greed is not good

Yes I agree...Richardson would be successful in ANY cabinet position. I prefer him for Sec. of State over Clinton.

November 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  16. Martha

I think Bill Richardson should get the Secretary of State position. He brings less baggage. I also admire him for doing the right thing in supporting Obama. That says alot about him and he knows what is best for the country. We need someone with his experience and social skills.

November 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  17. Raleigh, NC

Why don't people understand that president-elect Obama is not going to appoint any green people to important positions when this nation is in such a terrible state? Change can occur with qualified, experienced people. I believe that.

November 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  18. colocit

He should be the serious contender for Secretary of State. I just cannot figure out why the President-elect wants the Clinton's in his admin. All of the drama in the news media since Hillary's name was first floated out there for State should send him a loud message of what is to come. She and Bill just cannot help themselves. Call them Drama Queens or as Jeffrey Toomer has called them, "deranged narcisists, they are and always will be about themselves above everyone and everything else.

November 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  19. Where's the change??

Another Clinton holdover? Where's the change I can believe in?

November 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  20. John Hayward

I like RIchardson. He will do a great job. He has a good personality and will be a team player with the administration.

November 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  21. NoMcSame

Hillary has power and she is smart. She put up a good fight so she should get the job as SOS. Bill is a good honest and smart man and he came out early for Obama but the power that Hillary and Bill have around the world makes her the better pick SOS. America is BACK. We will be ok people. We just need to clean out the White House ASAP and get a man in there that has a BRAIN. Bush is lacking in EVERYTHING. I wish he would get out NOW. Why wait?

November 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. Pat F

Can someone tell me why, in light of how Hillary was vilified and demonized by Obama during the campaign for her terrible judgment in voting for the use of military force in Iraq, she is now so good and wise that she should be our representative to the whole world?

Barry, were you lying then, or are you lying now?

November 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  23. Kathy in Colorado

Ed - Why are you still spewing hate towards Hillary.?

What a bitter man you are...maybe you could follow Obama's lead and focus on moving forward.

Just a thought...

November 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. Meh

I really want to know who is paying these people who keep posting "Where is the change????" b/c these same people post the SAME EXACT THING in every single ticker!

It's not the people change, it's the policy change. When are you going to get that through your heads? Or do you just copy/paste from ticker to ticker w.out even reading other people's comments? We want people who are intelligent and who know their way around D.C. Who else is left!?

November 21, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  25. RJ, Phoenix

Sol... get a clue.
    Richardson is way more qualified for the post of SoS than Hillary.

November 21, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |