November 22nd, 2008

Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends

The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago
The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago

(CNN) – Obama spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter confirms to CNN the Obama daughters will attend Sidwell Friends school in Washington, DC.

"They looked at a lot of great schools but they felt Sidwell fit their best interests," spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter told CNN.

Chelsea Clinton also attended the school when her father was in the White House.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Edward Williams

JUST LIKE ANY GOOD PARENT. THEY WANT THE VERY BEST, SAFEST PLACE FOR THERE LOVELY DAUGHTERS. IF YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT, AND CAN AFFORD TO SEND YOUR CHILDREN TO A GREAT SCHOOL IN LIGHT OF ALL THE CRAZYS OUT THERE. YOU REALLY ARE NOT BEING TRUE TO YOURSELF. P.S. STOP HATEN. PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE SOME OF THE REASONS DECISIONS LIKE THIS ARE MADE.

November 21, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  2. Malachi

Why would the president sent his children to public school. It would be dangerouse to them and every other child there. I know it's fashionable to call people elitist for going to private school but use your head. You can't complain about everything.

November 21, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  3. Martha

Well, no surprise to me. Guess he does not like vouchers. And to think there will be Change....what is truly left are the pennies for those that send their children to the DC schools. Another politician, and the country fell for it. We all knew this would be the case. Hey, when you pay $1500 for a suit, do you really think he would send his kids to public school?

November 21, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  4. melinda

I disagree with Kathleen and george. The girls' safety is #1. This is the best choice for them.

November 21, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  5. Gerda Edwards

Barbara @ 5:20 "Wish there were rules about campaigning that say "ONE hate-inciting rally, the candidate is out". Period."

But then Obama wouldn't be our President-elect - "They'll make you afraid of me" x 2, "The other race will always be menacing and apart," "cling to their guns and religion," etc.

November 21, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  6. Gabriella, LA

Before you guys judge him for not sending his daughters to public school, remember that this is D.C. we're talking about. It has some of the worst public schools in the country. Even my parents wouldn't have sent me to D.C. public schools, and we aren't even rich. He shouldn't place his daughters in schools with no books and no heating just to prove a point. They need to be safe, and I'm sure that if given the chance, most parents (rich and poor) would make the same decision he did.

November 21, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. Dianne

Obama's daughters were already attending private school. These children education is not our business. He still supports improving public schools. Why do you not allow him to get to office before you start being so critical? School choice is for everyone democrate independent, republican, any American. These are not everyday kids and will not ever be for the rest of their lives. These kids need protection. Those people who wish him harm could very well vent on his children. I think the Secret Service will be able to control their safety in a private school. Isn't this what we all want–their safety?

November 21, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  8. Rich

President-elect Obama can’t do anything without people scrutinizing him.
    Give the man a break and let’s see what he will do for this country and then we can judge him. He was elect for 4 years and his term starts on January 20, 2009.

November 21, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  9. Kay

His kids' safety is more important than his need to make a point about the public school system.

So all of you who criticize his choice, where would you send your own kids if you were the 1st black president and your family was receiving death threats?

Lay off him!!!

November 21, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  10. Bhonest

They are his children, when he cries, he cries alone if anything bad should happen to them so we should stay out of his affairs. He ran for president and not his children. You do what you want with your own children and leave him alone to do what's best for his. With all the negative things you crazys are writing I would trust the welfare of my children in a public school so you fools can cause harm to them.

November 21, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  11. hn

I will do the same if I had the options. I will not make a political statement out of my children's education. So should you not. Bush wouldn't, Carl Rove wouldn't, Hannity wouldn't. Heck, none of them served the nation in any selfless way anyways.
    Obama is just being a good father. If he doesnot do the best job as a father, how do you expect him to do a good job as a President?

November 21, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  12. Kyle

I was sent to private school and my family wasn't particularly rich or into politics. People do what is best for their children, and while Obama would like to reform public schools so they are better for his kids, right now, especially the ones in Washington D.C., are not acceptable.

As president he also has to balance a wide variety of variables like secret service recommendations, security, and interference with other kids. Obviously this school provides the best balance or he wouldn't have chosen it, and Clinton wouldn't have chosen it before him. I see no hypocisy in this.

November 21, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  13. john

Why would any President put his or her kids in a public school? To put his kids in a situation that could bring harm to them or any unnecessary risk to prove to conservative/liberals or anyone for that matter that he and his family are just like you and I. Nonsense, they aren't regular kids in a regular situation and any one of us that could put our children in the best schools would. The only thing that keep us from doing so is money.

November 21, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  14. Lynne

I don't think this is any of my business. It is a private family matter that we need to stay out of. Funny how you right wingers say you believe in privacy until a democrat gets elected president, then you criticize his every move. I don't want you telling me where my kids should go to school anymore than you want me (or Obama) to tell you where yours should. You don't even know his family or his kids, so stop judging.

November 21, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  15. Angie

C'mon cut the family some slack. They are just regular folks whose public and celebrity lives will never be the same. There is no way the secret service could protect the girls in a public school. The disruption would be a huge disservice to the rest of the children.

November 21, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  16. Linda

Well, O?NO! kids went to private school in Chicago, so why would anyone expect less now that he's president.

same ol same ol

November 21, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  17. will

To those criticizing Obama for not sending his kids to a public school........give me a break!! I am a public school teacher myself, however, no would want to send their kids to a large D.C. public school if they had a choice, especially with the recognition they would get. Let's see....your father is one of the most famous men in the world...and your security is going to be at risk. For all those who want to criticize wake up. I am glad that Obama put his daughter's first above making a political statement. Those same people woud be criticizing if he made the opposite decision. For those people, Obama can do no right.

November 21, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  18. drea/ CA

Some of you people make me sick. I am single disabled Mom and my 8 yr old son is going to a private school. Because public schools suck. I am macking a lot of sacrifices for him to go there but it is worse it. Pre-elect Obama has to think of security and a good education. He is not even in the White House and already getting ripped appart for this and that. Give the man a chance, and stop the hate. I hope and pray that the entire Obama Family will be save.

November 21, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  19. teecee

People...please...his daughters were already attending "private" school in Chicago....so why is it a problem for them to continue with that? Just because he's not sending his daughters to "public" school is not saying public schools are bad it is his and his wife decision. They are paying for it not me...please keep in mind he will be THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES...just not your everyday person!

November 21, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  20. Raven

Shannon you're just jealous

Do you seriously think that the first african american president would be dumb enough to send his children to a public school where children of poor white skinheads can freely attend???

grow a brain Shannon.

November 21, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  21. Denise....Boardman, Ohio

For those of you criticizing the Obama's choice of school for their children, you can thank that "racist" Palin for the rise in hate group activity....if your children lives would be in danger because of someone else's hate and ignorance, wouldn't you make the best possible decisions to try and keep them safe? If you wouldn't you would be a "sorry" parent...I am poor and I wouldn't want my children
    to attend a public school system that was not up to par...and by the way "better schools" and better pay for teachers are part of President-elect Obama's agenda....

November 21, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  22. Enough

Kathleen November 21st, 2008 5:06 pm ET

No surprise there. School choice for liberals who can afford it, but not for the rest of us. Typical hyprocrisy.

so, you think someone else should pay for your kids to go to private school?
    Sounds like "socialism" to me

November 21, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  23. trez

The president isnt the only person in the world who sends his children to private schools. Gripe about the economy or those Detroit Lions or something.

November 21, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  24. Lee

His number one concern should be for the safety of his daughters – and it is!

November 21, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  25. Davis in NC

Some of you haters need to grow up. It would be absurdly difficult to provide Secret Service protection for the Obama children in an inner city public school. Futhermore, they attend private school in Chicago, why would you expect them to downgrade to public in D.C.? I completely believe the President-elect is outraged about the issues of public schooling–the precise reason for not sending his own children through the system.
    I also believe reform of public education will be on his agenda, along with the million plus other problems lying ahead that he must tackle. Be careful on those moral high horses–they're willful creatures that tend to buck and throw a rider at the most inconvenient moment, for all the world to see the fall.

November 21, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |