November 22nd, 2008

Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends

The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago
The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago

(CNN) – Obama spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter confirms to CNN the Obama daughters will attend Sidwell Friends school in Washington, DC.

"They looked at a lot of great schools but they felt Sidwell fit their best interests," spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter told CNN.

Chelsea Clinton also attended the school when her father was in the White House.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. kristi

That is great. The girls should be safe.

November 21, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  2. robert

You conservation, capitalists constantly preach about self reliance and competition to reach the top. Howver, you are selective regarding who reaches such lofty goals. If there is hypocracy, it lies with those you can't mind their own business.

November 21, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  3. Ray

And Andy...FDR did have a dog named Fala, and the Lincolns did not have a dog as Tad was allergic. (just kidding on the last part) We want human presidents, that's why people care about that.

November 21, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  4. River70

At least this is a family who values education, unlike the president administration. Remember Bush bragged "just look what a C student can accomplish."
    The Obama girls need to function at their own comfort label, not one we set up for them.

November 21, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  5. JOfromATLforObamaBiden

IF THE PRESIDENT NEEDS TO BE PROTECTED FROM CRAZY PEOPLE WHAT DO YOU THINK HE IS GOING TO DO FOR HIS 2 DAUGHTERS. THEY NEED TO BE IN PRIVATE SCHOOLS. IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO SEND YOUR KIDS TO PRIVATE SCHOOLS WHY NOT DO IT. STOP THE HATE. MOVE ON PEOPLE

November 21, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  6. ceomomof2

Thank God that Sasha and Malia have caring, thoughtful parents who care more about the safety, education and overall well being of their children than trying to appease the sore losers that want to complain about his every move. Clearly George, Kathleen, Pamma & Shannon are not parents. That's the only way to justify their foolish comments suggesting that President-Elect Obama should be "politically correct" and send his children to public school. Here's a news flash: PEOPLE WHO LOVE THEIR CHILDREN, LIBERAL OR CONSERVATIVE, DO WHATS BEST FOR THEM, PERIOD!

November 21, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  7. Dan MN

It is what it is. How about that Sarah Palin, eating a turkey.

November 21, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  8. Kaye FL

This is not suprising to me. It is not possible for any President's children to attend a public school. Especially in these times . They need tight security, there are too many whackos out there that would love to do harm to Obama and/or his family.
    What is suprising is the number of people who think that he would even consider public school for his girls, even if that public school was top notch.

November 21, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  9. Joe

Why didnt Barry put his kids in DC Public schools? They get more education funding per puil than any school district in the nation........Liberals are always telling us that funding is the most important part of education. More liberal hypocracy........

November 21, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  10. donna

I am sure if those of you were in President Elect Obama's position, you would do the same thing. For the safety of my children I would send them to a private school. It appears that some people are going to complain for the next four years no matter what Obama does. He won the election. Get over it!

November 21, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  11. Joy

I wish them well

November 21, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  12. Jeff

After reading some of the comments here, it's quite clear why they need to be in a secure environment - there are too many hate-filled morons in our society!

November 21, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  13. Van

I don't know much about schools for children of Presidents but I can't believe people are criticizing Obama for this.

You're forgetting one thing... Obama is going to be President, he needs to pick a school in which his girls can stay safe in case some nutjob wants to go after his kids.

I love Public Schools, but this is not one of those times where they are the best choice. For normal kids it's ok, for children of Presidents... nah uh.

November 21, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  14. Leah

I totally agree Celeste... No one should be able to say where they should or shouldnt send their girls to school.. This is ridiculous...

November 21, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  15. terry

why is it such a big deal about what school he chose for his. That is a man who went to college to get a degree so he would be able to have the finer things in. Wasnt nothing giving to him he earned everything he has. Y is it so much hatred towards him. YOU ALL HAD A CHOICE IN LIFE TO. HE CHOOSE THAT EDU WAS THE WAY OUT

November 21, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  16. Get over it, You lost!

I find it funny that conservatives call Obama an elitist for sending his kids to a private school when they do the same. Except they do it not to promote a better learning environment but to propagate and indoctrinate their children with idiotic superstitions like "intelligent design" and god.

November 21, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  17. Monica

Education is very important for the future of this country. May God bless and keep this family safe.

November 21, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  18. Erick

Of course any thinking person would send their kids to private school. That's why we need vouchers to create competition.

November 21, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  19. terry

SO PLZ GET A LIFE ALL YOU HATERS

November 21, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  20. Mark

It is a comment on public education in this country. My children go to private school and I intend on offering to help them continue their education in a private college so they have the BEST chance at success.

November 21, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  21. Brandon (Wilmington, NC)

Good for them! As long as he keeps his promise about tending to the public schools and the teachers, all should be fine. Besides, the SS know the school well and have a better chance of keeping the girls safe. God Bless the Obamas and this country.

November 21, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  22. AD

Who in their right mind, in Mr. Obama's position, would send their kids to a public school? It would cause such a raucous to have secret service there, not to mention how unsafe it would be for the girls. Good choice President-Elect Obama. To all the haters out there, you acquire bad karma hating so much. Sending his kids to public school will not fix our broken school system. We need to rally together to stop constant school budget cuts.

November 21, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  23. WOW!

$30,000 Bucks a Year!! WOW! Maybe THIS is what Obama means by bringing CHANGE to Washington.,

That's some chuck of CHANGE for schooling grade schoolers. I wish I had that type of money for college!

November 21, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  24. Texas Teacher

I am astounded at some of the comments I have just read! As a teacher, I work in one of the poorest neighborhoods in Houston! I work their because I am trying to make a difference for those children. Would I have sent my children to my school? Or my grandchildren now? NO, I would NOT. Do I LOVE those children I teach? You better believe it! And I keep coming back to try to make a difference in their lives. Our school gets better every year, and I am proud to say that I am part of that transition. Now with our New President, I feel sure that all schools will be improving instead of receiving ONLY lip service and Testing!

Until you have taught in the in the trenchs of the inner city schools, you do NOT have a CLUE as to what we go through... as well as our students! They need a hand up and a vote of confidence, NOT criticism! You have no idea how very hard we ALL work to improve those public schools we work in that so many people are SO very eager to blame the teachers for! Instead of criticizing, get out there and volunteer in those schools.... then you criticize our teachers and our students! Talk is cheap.... I don't see the critics doing anything to make the situation better.... but complain about it! Poooph.... I feel like spitting.... I'm so frustrated with stupidity!

November 21, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  25. Old blue

Jimmy Carter sent Amy to a public school. Neither Clinton nor Obama obviously would consider anything but the best for their precious ones. The public schools in Washington, D.C. are among the worst in the nation and far below the Obamas. By the way, can we guess the racial makeup of the lovely children in Sidwell??

November 21, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |