November 22nd, 2008

Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends

The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago
The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago

(CNN) – Obama spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter confirms to CNN the Obama daughters will attend Sidwell Friends school in Washington, DC.

"They looked at a lot of great schools but they felt Sidwell fit their best interests," spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter told CNN.

Chelsea Clinton also attended the school when her father was in the White House.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. chris nugent

You Obama supporters are missing the point. If Obama is so against voucher for private school, why is he sending his kids to one. Let other parents have a choice between public and private schools.

November 21, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  2. Obama's Uncle

I am an old Kansas man, and I schooled with Obama's mom in Kansas. Don't just blame our governments for bad public schools. Blame yourself as a mother or a father! Parents are role models of children. If you don't know how educate your kids, don't produce them!

Obama is just a president, and he couldn't do everything for you. He couldn't change African-Americans alone. He couldn't change public schools alone. He needs your help to educate your kids.

November 21, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  3. Chris

Pamma and others who criticize the Obama’s on their school choice:

I am firmly of the opinion that we have the repubs to thank for doing away with public education.

One question for y'all: how's that Reagan/Bush trickle down theory working for y'all?!?

November 21, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  4. Old blue

Jimmy Carter sent Amy to a public school. Neither Clinton nor Obama obviously would consider anything but the best for their precious ones. The public schools in Washington, D.C. are among the worst in the nation and far below the Obamas. By the way, can we guess the racial makeup of the lovely children in Sidwell??

November 21, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  5. Oxford Voter

Kathleen,

Grow up. Lots of conservatives send their children to private schools.

There is nothing "hypocritical" about doing the best you possibly can for your children. In fact, wouldn't that fall under the heading of "family values" that bitter voters like yourself love to harp about?

November 21, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  6. Jennifer

Great choice! The girls deserve the best of everything. Their parents certainly earned it for them.

November 21, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  7. OhioMOM

Private school is the only choice for the daughters of our President. Anything else would be folly.

November 21, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  8. David

I am a public school teacher; my kids go to a public school, and that is my choice. However, if I were a high-profile figure in the news all the time who had received death threats and was likely to receive more and if my children were well-known by sight, I think I would put them in private school, too.

I really wish that some of the posters here would stop just reacting from their clearly biased angles and think for a moment. Blurting out (or typing) the first rant that comes to mind is a sign of true intellectual weakness. Also, could we please stop using the term "liberal" and others like it as weapons? Using them lumps individuals into convenient and comforting categories, again allowing the user to avoid actual thought.

Thanks.

November 21, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  9. Oxford Voter

Pamma,

Um, don't a lot of CONSERVATIVES send their children to private schools??

Your side lost. Get over it.

November 21, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  10. Ryan

People stop being so negative and concentrate on your own life's. Where these girls go to school is frankly none of our business. And for you anyone whom is so negative about it or makes it sound political is just a very unhappy person.

November 21, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  11. MG

For goodness sake, some of you need to grow up.

November 21, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  12. Chris in Va.

@ george and Kathleen: With all of the bitter Repubs clinging to their bibles and GUNS out there, not to mention how the Queen of Hate (Palin) stirred the pot of racism for the less intelligent during the campaign, as well as the number of threats made against Pres-Elect Obama, basically it is YOUR kind who forced his hand..... quit your sniveling.

November 21, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  13. Real_Eyes

For all of you idiots that want to criticize Obama for insuring his kids safety, you would do the same if you were the first African American President in a country w/racist idiots. But I guess you would not understand that seeing that you are first, not African American. With the history of violence here,they need to be in a private home school.

November 21, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  14. Barbara

For all of those who think it is wrong to send the Obama girls to private school. I bet you did not have a problem with Bush or any other republican and where their kids went to school. Look we are talking about two very young children who need to get the best education available to them and the most secure environment possible. These girls were already in private school before Barack ever chose to run for the presidency. I am not rich or white but I saved and made many sacrifices to send my child to private school because the public schools just don't make the grade. It was less of a sacrifice to pay for private school than it would have been to pay for a funeral because of all the violence in the public schools.

I am a product of public education and have done well for myself. However, I was in the public school system years before the medal detectors and the bull you all call "time out". It was also a time when teachers taught because they loved it not because they just needed or wanted an easy paycheck. Let's face it, times have really changed.

November 21, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  15. sammy

Can I please have a voucher to send my kids to a private school too?

November 21, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  16. Anna in California

Hello,

I went to Private Schools my whole Life and I don't think anyone has the right to say where our President sends his Children. As long as he and his wife are happy then everyone should shut up and mind there own business. Besides he they need to feel scure like any parents would be sending there children to school in this day and age. Good Choice!!! You won't regret it !! Good Luck and Study Hard.

November 21, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  17. Pippen

Message sent: Public schools are fine... for YOUR kids.

November 21, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  18. Nic

Whoever thinks Obama's daughters should go to public school is an idiot. The security implications are huge. Just shows how low the Obama-haters will go just to say something negative about him.

It's their money and it's their choice! If you have the money then go and put your kids in private school too otherwise shut up.

God bless Malia and Sasha.

November 21, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  19. Cathy

Awesome! I am so glad that they chose a great school for their children. Family first is why I value him as the President Elect and soon to be President!

November 21, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  20. Pippen

Hypocrisy you can believe in!

November 21, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  21. Kathryn

Pamma, Kathleen. If the private schools, which are mostly religious and conservative, cared so much for the nation's children, they wouldn't keep out the children with special needs (which the public schools are required to serve even if they go to private school) and the needy.

I'm a teacher and a liberal. My child goes to public schools because I believe in public schools and all the private schools here are filled with 99% white people. I don't want my child to grow up in a white-centered world.

November 21, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  22. Lois

I swear, some of you people never think. A private school is much safer for these girls. Such small, bitter, hateful people some of you are.

November 21, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  23. Layla in DC

I attended 4 public school in Washington, DC. They are horrible and unsafe. If the city can not keep students safe under normal circumstances, what makes you all think that they will protect the president's daughters? The schools are not fit for any child. They made a good choice, a safe choice. No need to put a child's safety at risk to make a politcal point. Good decision, Mr. President.

November 21, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  24. Ken in NC

@Kathleen
    it is not hyprocrisy. It is the love and desire of a parent to give the best they can to their children. Your comment is representative of pure jealously. I would bet that if you had the ability to do it, you would send your kids to the school that is capable of giving them the best education they could get.

@ george
    The Obama's not sending their kids to public school is not a signal that they do not support public school teachers. The signal is that they are trying to give their kids the best education they can. Give them a break.

November 21, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  25. Jamie

Must be nice to be able to shell out SIXTY grand a year for private schools...can't speak for anyone else, but that's more than I make in a year...

November 21, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |