November 22nd, 2008

Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends

The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago
The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago

(CNN) – Obama spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter confirms to CNN the Obama daughters will attend Sidwell Friends school in Washington, DC.

"They looked at a lot of great schools but they felt Sidwell fit their best interests," spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter told CNN.

Chelsea Clinton also attended the school when her father was in the White House.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. corey, NH

When we all take on the role of President of the United States of America we will be able to judge.

November 21, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  2. Griff

Only another Animal would have said; You can put " Lip-Stick on a Pig"... Is Barack Obama's Wife, and Kids included... Or Just Sarah Palin???

November 21, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  3. joe magaratz

Not all public schools are failing. It is the urban public systems that are failing (Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NYC, Atlanta etc.). White suburban and rural people are happy with their local public schools. The reality is that relying on a "locally elected" board of education in the urban area is no longer viable. It is these boards of education that must be removed from the legal structures of public schools. They should be replaced state oversight committees who are empowered to set expectations of behavior and support for parents and to eliminate civil rights for students. Then the public school in the urban area will come to be seen as a valuable resource.

November 21, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  4. Kim J

For those who say they can't believe the negative comments, remember back when you were making negative comments about everything Palin did. Like today, with the turkey story.

November 21, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  5. Kewpie for Obama

Really, who cares where his kids go to school? If anyone can convince me that Obama's school choice is in any way related to how he will run the country then I will believe it makes a difference to me.

Between the choice schools, the choice of a puppy and what Michelle wears, I'm frankly sick of the Obama-mania. The man is going to be the president, not a movie star. Get a life people!

November 21, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. Mike, Syracuse NY

As a parent Obama has the right and duty to get his children the best education he can. What parent would do differently? However, charter schools in DC give a much better education at half the cost per pupil than the public schools. Obama needs to walk the walk by allowing everyone to have the same choice he does by expanding the school voucher system which he opposes.

November 21, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. Cynthia

I would love to send my children to private schools. I myself attended even though I did not want to go, but my parents felt it was the best education I could get as opposed to the alternative. Given that I live in Minneapolis and the public school system in a nice word sucks and has an array of problems that it is even more crucial to me for my children to attend private schools. However, since the liberals like Obama won't support vouchers I am not sure what i will be able to do. It is nice that he can afford WITHOUT A WORRY, I on the other hand do not have that same luxury. The private schools I have looked at are in the range of 15k, the one he has chosen is in the range of 30k. I thought Obama was going to "spread the wealth", one would think this would also apply to education since it is one of the keystones in wealth.

November 21, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  8. alpha_nu_916

are conservatives really making a mountain out of this issue?

thousands of jobs are being lost daily, my mother's 401k (like millions of other boomers) is in tatters, and they're blasting the obamas for choosing to send their young daughters to a school that can insure greater security?
    in an ideal world i'm sure the obamas would choose a public school, but with the real threat of their daughters being targets it is in the best interest of all (other than terrorists and racists) sending them to a private school.

memo to conservatives – rebrand your party. kick out the myopic social conservatives, or at least minimize their influence, and try to reach out to minorities instead of demonizing them. better luck in 10'.

November 21, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  9. Jim

Runs on "improving public education for all" then does this....... sound familiar??????????? (what's good for you children won't cut it for mine; aka Bill Clinton)

November 21, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  10. A Kickin' Donkey

Most of you have no idea how many nutjobs have threatened the life of this man and his family simply because he dared to be interested in running the United States of America as a Black man.

Heck, we've got a case in Florida and there is another one in Tennessee of racist bastards that were plotting to harm him.

I have ZERO issue with Obama continuing to send his girls to private school. A smaller more secure campus I might add where the secret service can more adequately protect Rosebud and Radiance.

That way our President can focus on the tough job he has at hand ... cleaning up from 8 years of mismanagement and incompetence.

November 21, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  11. Margie

To all the liberals making excuses for the Obamas saying it's a safety concern, the Secret Service managed to protect Amy Carter in the public elementary that she attended in DC.

At least Jimmy wasn't a hypocrite, and sent his child where his ideals where.

November 21, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  12. bobby

i think people need to put themselves in Micheele and Barack's shoes. As the president of the greatest country in the world, would you send your child to a public school or to a school that guarantees better safety?People before you criticize, i think you all need to think a little more

November 21, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  13. Gene

George.. why are you complaining about support for public schools. Public schools are just another form of evil socialism which should be eradicated from our country, right? I say let capitalism ring! If you can afford private school.. then your kids deserve an education. If you can't afford private school.. then let your kids flip burgers. Isn't that the American (capitalist) way?

November 21, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  14. meghan

As an 11th grader at a Friends school, I couldn't imagine a better learning environment. I'm happy that the Obama girls will be exposed to the openness and superior values of a Quaker insitution.

November 21, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  15. L Williams

All the negative comments are a joke. This was choice that he and his wife made as parents, not politicians. Its their business where they send their kids to school. Its has nothing to do with how he is going to run this country. That was a personal matter between him and his family, period. For safety reasons, very good choice!

November 21, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  16. Ken C, NC

Some people live in their own world and do not have a clue to the magnitude of high profile people. The daughters of the President of the US would be prime targets for radical criminal people, foreign or domestic. How can anyone in their right mind even suggest anything different than what the Obamas plan for their daughters. Yes, yes and yes; SAFETY is the prime reason for this decision. Small minded people are entitled to their opinion, but it is so good that they do not run our country. Now we have honest, intelligent and common sense people gearing up to put the USA back on track. Sure it will take a while, we have to work diligently with the President to make this happen.

November 21, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  17. Susan

Kathleen, George, Pamma and EC Coleman and the rest of you who think the same way..... You are a group of really miserable sad people! I lived in DC and wouldn't send my own child to any of the public schools there. Although the new School Superintendent is working her butt off to clean the schools up, I would add. But aside from that, IF you were smart you'd have a clue that when your father is the President of the United States your life has a tendency to change just a little bit! These girls will do well in a great school, good for them. There is nothing wrong with sending your child to private school if you can afford it. The last time I checked, this was a free country. I happened to serve my career in the US Air Force so people like you can spout off your wicked and bitter mouth!

November 21, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  18. Al Glover

typical you people bought this guy..........I send my kids to private school and then tell you go public, wake up people

November 21, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  19. Anonymous

"School choice for liberals who can afford it, but not for the rest of us."

Get serious. Because "liberals" want the public education system to be better and don't think introducing free market theory is a good idea doesn't have anything to do with this decision. The fact is that Obama's girls are clearly able to have a private education. Unfortunately, inner-city kids don't have the same choices. So the answer is, public schools and the kids and familys that depend on them go to hell. Try and find inner-city private schools, good luck. Voucher that you ignoramus.

November 21, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Change, yeah.....that's the ticket. I'm all about change!!!

November 21, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  21. carment

Given the reported spike in threats against the Obmas, and the level of malevolent diatribes you see on some sites, I wouldn't have blamed them if they'd decided to have them privately tutored at the White House

November 21, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  22. Sherry

The Obama children's education should NOT be a political decision, but a private one. No matter what they do, they will be criticized for their decision. I'm sure their decision was based on what is in the best interest of the girls, rather than public opinion, as it should be.

November 21, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  23. Elinor Mody

So did Richard Nixon's daughters; he was a Quaker

November 21, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  24. Mike - Missouri

Good Choice! Ensuring the safey of their children.... PS are not safe! Period.

November 21, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  25. JAN

NO PRESIDENT AROUND THE WORLD SENDS THEIR CHILDREN TO A PUBLIC SCHOOL...NOT EVEN CELEBRITIES!!!!!!!

THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE EVEN BEEN PUBLISHED FOR THE SAFETY OF THESE CHILDREN...THERE IS TOO MUCH HATE/ VILE OUT THERE AGAINST THIS FAMILY FOR NO REASON!!!!!!!!!!!

November 21, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |