November 22nd, 2008

Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends

The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago
The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago

(CNN) – Obama spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter confirms to CNN the Obama daughters will attend Sidwell Friends school in Washington, DC.

"They looked at a lot of great schools but they felt Sidwell fit their best interests," spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter told CNN.

Chelsea Clinton also attended the school when her father was in the White House.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Karrie, MD

I don't make anywhere near what the Obama's make, and I still sacrificed to keep my children out of the public school system of a major city. You might as well home school them, because they won't LEARN anything in the public school system. That's just the way it is.

This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with doing what's best for your children. All 3 of my kids went to private school, just like my parents sacrificed to send me to one as well.

November 21, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  2. EG

OK... Not much of a story, but since there was a question raised about public vs. private...perhaps CNN would be kind enough to let us know if this is a public or private school! Wasn't that the interest in the story? Should I rely on google for my reporting now and search for Sidwell...fine...I'll do it...

Sorry Ed...you generally do quite good work...I'm just testy after having to hear hosts ramble on about twitter all day and
    !!!Breaking news!!! consisting of: Sources say our speculation may be correct...or not...we don't know...BREAKING NEWS!!!!

November 21, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  3. Tammie

Safety is a priority. I wouldn't send my kids to a public school in D.C. even if I weren't a notable public official.

November 21, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  4. jojodancer1119

I wish them well as they embark on their new home. Moving can be very challenging for young children and it's great that they found a place for the girls to be comfortable. I have children in both public and private school and it's important to find a school that fits your needs. So I am glad that they made their own decision because either way someone would have something to say about it so you may as well do as you please.

November 21, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  5. Rodney

What president, other than Jimmy Carter has sent his kids to public school? Enough said! What prominent Rupublican, democrat, or other high ranking official in state or local government sends their kids to public school? Last time I checked, poor people send their kids to catholic private school all the time. Also what is a charter school, but a private school with public funds. Get over it and go back to sending your kid to the exclusive 400k and over valued neighborhood public school with a food court and other amenities. Is this any different than Sidwell? If the White House where in Potomac or Great Falls, then Obama could send his kids to Public School.

November 21, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  6. CNN Sucks

Typical elitist bologna. When the Clinton's refused to send their daughter to a public school Hillary snarled that people have to understand the "security" issues with their daughter. WHAT ABOUT THE SECURITY INTERESTS OF MY CHILD ? Why can't I have my tax money to send my child where she would be safest. This choice sours me even more on the Obamas.

November 21, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  7. PAT California

These children are no longer ordinary children. They are the children of a president! Their security is of utmost importance to us all. It is always best to get the recommendation from someone who sent their child there and that's the Clintons. You're not thinking!!!! Put yourself in his place, George. What would you do?

November 21, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  8. CNN Sucks

Barbara in NC is happy the Obama kids will be in a safe place. Why can't mine be in a safe place ? It is people like the Obamas that have created a society where our children are no longer safe.

November 21, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  9. Rose lau

I am not sure if Obama really going to bring any changes. He is going to have all the Clinton people in his team now, their two daughters are following Clinton's foot steps to send their daughters to the same school Clinton's daughter attend.

November 21, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  10. Melanie

You people who seriously think the Obama girls should go to public school as a statement are just ridiculous. Their first and foremost concern should be the safety of their children. Concern #2 should be the disruption that the presence of their children will inevitably cause the other kids. Public school is not appropriate for them for both reasons. Grow up and quit yer cryin'–you lost the election for a reason and the sooner you figure it out, the better.

November 21, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  11. Sean

It is unfortunate that the president of the country does not trust the public schools! It sends a negative signal to all countries around the world.

November 21, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  12. Tavon

I would dare you to walk in this mans shoes all of our brothers of another color and consider this if you were the first black man elected to office and the threats you were getting tell me honestly what would you do all my white brothers walk in a black mans shoes for once you have seen the movies when they capture the children of elected officials all it takes is one stupid person to do something stupid

November 21, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  13. Joe

It's funny to see liberals try and rationalize why Barry and Michelle (the Angela Davis of our time) refuse to send their children to the wonderful DC public schools........which are better funded than any other district in the country. What is the explanation for this? Answer – There is none, other than liberalsim is a mental disorder!

November 21, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  14. w.l. jones

It appears a public school in a private setting with government well as none government student. Way to go for theirs safety.

November 21, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  15. Dave Ziffer

Dear Oxford Voter: Yes CONSERVATIVES are pretty smart people so they tend to like to send their kids to private schools. The difference is that CONSERVATIVES in Congress and state legislatures keep trying to make it possible for you and me to send our kids to private schools too, whereas LIBERALS (like your hero here) want to ensure that only the rich can afford to. LIBERALS ensure this by voting down school choice initiatives everywhere that CONSERVATIVES introduce them, ensuring that people who want to send their kids to private schools must pay both public school taxes AND private tuition; The Democrats' statement on school choice is clear: public schools are good enough for the rest of us, but definitely not good enough for THEM.

November 21, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  16. Rose lohlau

I am not sure if Obama really is going to bring any changes to our nation as he had promised.

He is going to have all the Clinton people in his team. It feels like Clinton era all over again. Now, their two daughters are following Clinton's foot steps to attend the school Clinton's daughter attended!

I voted to get ride of Clinton administration 8 years ago, and I voted this year for Obama promised to bring changes. Needless to say, it looks like it will be Clinton all over again!

I love to see, if Obama is really going to bring the changes he promised during his campaign. I have heard that no matter who gets in the white house, all politicians are the same, they them keep their promises. Let see, if Omaba will be any different!!

November 21, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  17. Angela

I really think that this is something the entire country doesn't need to know. He deserves to make at least this decision for his family without scrutiny from everyone in the country.

November 21, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  18. MediaJunkie, Washington, DC

FDR had a Scottie named Fala. Pretty famous dog. Lighten up. Finding out what kind of dog they'll get and what school the girls will go to are just lighthearted stories people like to read to momentarily forget everyday problems.

November 21, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  19. shano

to all who are pushing for the public schools...please, it would be a Secret Service security nightmare. I want those girls safe.

November 21, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  20. Joe Green

"It is my understanding that they did not even consider a public education for their girls. This change is really getting old. With all the Clinton on the scene I hardly see any change at all."

Jimmy Carter was the last President to send his child to DC public schools, and it was nothing more than a grandstanding event that probably cost the school millions of dollars.

DC public schools are the worst in the country, even thought they spend the highest per capita on students. This is the fault of the corrupt local DC government, not the Federal Government and certainly not the fault of a Senator from Illinois.

A private school can handle the security necessary for the daughters of a President in ways that the public school system cannot.

And you can't blame a guy foe exercising school choice – I thought that was what you Republicans were all about, right?

Sheesh.

P.S. – Barack, get a greyhoud. They are such great dogs.

November 21, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  21. case

Can anybody imagine the media circus a public school would be turned into with the Obama girls there. A small private school can change their schedule, security and straff to fit the needs of a presidential family . A public school can not. Attending public schools would enviably cost the DC schools tens of thousands just to accommodate 2 students.

November 21, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  22. catmom

My goodness people get over it !! The girls were in private school in Chicago for one. Second, it is a private choice for people to send their kids to whatever school they think is best for their children. People all over the country choose to sacriface and send their children to private schools. Why should the Obama's be any different? This is not a political choice. It has nothing to do with "change" you haters seem to be stuck on. It is about their education and safety perios.

Why don't you haters just wait until Obama takes office and give him the same amount of time George Bush had to screw up the country.

November 21, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  23. marcus tullius c

Change ......... ? Even the school will be the same as the one of the Clinton girl. Sigh..

November 21, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  24. Darren D. Johnson

School came before the Sen and President!

November 21, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  25. Q. Caecilivs Metellvs Pivs IMP

There is a reason this was released on a Friday evening...

November 21, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |