November 22nd, 2008

Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends

The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago
The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago

(CNN) – Obama spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter confirms to CNN the Obama daughters will attend Sidwell Friends school in Washington, DC.

"They looked at a lot of great schools but they felt Sidwell fit their best interests," spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter told CNN.

Chelsea Clinton also attended the school when her father was in the White House.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. katherine

these are kids. safety matters first, especially considering the hate rallies that stirred up nutjobs courtesy of turkey slaughtering palin.

November 21, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  2. Marders

My daughter attends a Friend's school.....not because it is an elite, expensive school, (which it is not) but because it is the best fit for our daughter. Every parent has to make that decision.....the Obama's are no different. Friends' schools are loving communities that embrace diversity and partner with public schools. I would do homework on the school before I would be this condemning of the Obama's decision.

November 21, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  3. Jamie in Oklahoma

I think the Obamas made the right choice. The safety of those two adorable girls is first and foremost. I can't believe some of you can't see that.

November 21, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  4. david

Everyone that is having a problem with this decision is either not a parent or just hateful. When does parent decisions on the education of their kids become something that has to be done to appease people and care less about their kids. Please give me a break all those that see this as politics are delusional and hypocritical. Tell me you will sacrifice your kids for politics if you were in his position.

November 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  5. Guy On Oahu

Where's the change. BO is nothing more than a used car salemen.

November 21, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  6. Jonathan

I'm glad the Obama's chose to continue to keep their daughters in private school. And for all those "haters" that are judging this choice (which is an EXCELLENT choice), I guess for one – you don't want the best for your child/children if you had to make the decision and two – you don't want the best safety of OUR Presidents children (even if you didn't vote for him, he's still OUR President). So to all of you that are criticizing this decision..........................BACK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 21, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  7. EB in DC

Those who believe that Obama should make a political statement in his choice for his daughters' school are being completely absurd. Furthermore, I do not believe that you have children – because if you did, you would know that it is UNTHINKABLE to use your children as a political pawn.
    Furthermore, I live in an ungentrified area of the District, and am a parent with children in the DC public school system. DC is ranked one of the worst public school systems in the country – we are in the middle of a huge shakeup, and have a burgeoning Charter School movement (nearly half of DC Public school students now attend Charter Schools, including my own). If I could send my kids to private school, I probably would. But since I can't, I work my butt off to make my kids school the best it can be. I believe that the Obamas will work to better public education, but making a political statement by sending their girls to a failing school is not the way to do it.
    Not to mention the most important aspect of all this, in my opinion – SAFETY. The safety of the Obama girls is more important that ANYTHING else when it comes to making this decision. This is not politics, this is family.

November 21, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  8. renee

I cant believe some people are complaining that the girls are not going to public school me and my husband would work three jobs to send our children to private school

November 21, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  9. Ike from PA

I am amazed and appauled that some are making political comments regarding this truly personal decision the Obama's needed to make. When does human decency enter a persons soul? Oh, Oh I know. If it was the candidate of their choice. Lets move on to working to getting this country out of the dismal situation it is in than what school a parents wish to send their kids to.

November 21, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  10. Sweetness

All Presidents send their children to private schools. Stop hating on the Democrats for exact same things republicans do, this isnt a partisan issue, this isnt an issue at all. I dont care if his children go to private or public school and I am about to graduate with an education degree.

November 21, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  11. Charlene, Republican for Obama

I voted for you Barack Obama not the Clintons. I donated to your primary so that you would beat Clinton. I am becoming sorry that I even voted.

November 21, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  12. Mike

Look, this is not a political issue. Obama wants public schools to be better, but right now, they are not so great. You can support public schools (school board, taxes, etc) either way, but if you have the money, why would you experiment on your own kids? A proven good private school is a better bet for your kids to succeed than our mediocre public school system. Would you place your politics before your kids? If so, perhaps you shouldn't have had any.

November 21, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  13. Kerri

what a hypocrite. as someone who opposes vouchers, which would give underpriveledged kids a choice of schools, he sends his kids to private school. there is no difference in security. that's bull. it's typical liberal hypocrisy..."what's good for you is not for me". I'm now convinced that the majority of the American people are not smart enough to survive. Therefore, this society will die.

November 21, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  14. pbj

of course - on so many levels. man of the people - who lives in an exclusive neighborhood in Chicago and sends his kids to exclusive private schools. candidate of change - who then appoints all the same Clinton adminstration beltway insiders to serve in his administration. break from the past - who then sends his kids to the same school the Clinton's sent their kid to. of course, this is also why I voted for him - because I knew all this talk about "change" was just campaign bs and he would be just another politician who would maintain continuity with the past. anyone want to bet on whether the troops will still be in Iraq in 16 months? get ready to be disappointed moveon.org.

November 21, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  15. Jimmie G

This is SO silly.
    Security is so much a concern that a public school would almost, by definition, be a bad choice... especially with Obama.
    Like it or not, there are too many racist crazies out there how would (literally) kill for the opportunity to hurt our new President and his family.
    Besides, what a child learns at home is more important than what a school can teach.
    God bless our new president and his family.

November 21, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  16. Christina

No big surprise here. Good. It's more about security than anything else.

November 21, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  17. Hillary Ashivaka

Some people are either missing a vital part of their brains or they just chose to hate Obama. The kids could be easy targets of kidnapping in a public school. Not to mention that it is D.C of all places! for goodness sake why can't people think with their brains and not their crap? Obama values his family more than anything, you get it you useless haters there? Get a life or get a brain.

November 21, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  18. Kerri

No presidents send their kids to public schools...because those schools suck and they can afford to send them to private school...so why do democrats oppose school vouchers and continue to prop up a broken system run by the teachers union? hypocrisy.

November 21, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  19. Oregonian

"think some news stories don't need a comments section. This is one of those instances."

Here, here Celeste.

November 21, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. thomas

Isn't it a shame that every parent can't send their child to a school where they will be safe and receive a good education?

November 21, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  21. Mazaniac

Wished I made what it'll cost to send them to this private school!

I can't say I wouldn't do it, but it would cost you and I even more since all the extras would come in to play. Early drop off so you can get to work on time and pick-up after school after you leave work. Not for those two. They'll have a police escort in armored SUVs to and from school.

November 21, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  22. BreAnna - Military Brat

I wouldn't have thought the Obama's would send Sasha and Malia to public school in D.C. My friend's sister goes to a public school there and she is constantly saving money to send her to a private school. And why would a president send two young girls to public school if they're already making such a huge adjustment by moving from Chicago to D.C., and they've been going to private their whole lives? That's pretty hard on a girl, especially at those ages. And it's also the general consensus that the President of the United States sends their offspring to private school while serving their term in office.
    As for the school, it sounds like a great choice and I hope that the first children are comfortable there.

November 21, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  23. Who cares

this is not any ones business on where he sends his chikdren, he is being a responsible parent and doing right by his children, everyone else should get on board with the proper education of their children whether it be private of public schools systems, I believe all parents are responsible for their children no matter how rich or poor.

Back off on his family and focus on what he is going to do to making are country honarable again

November 21, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  24. Anonymous

I am sure that they would have liked to send them to a public school but I know that would have been very difficult. If I were the Obamas I would send the girls to the school that the secret service could protect the best. I believe that they did choose the school that could do this since the service has already been at that school because of Chelsea.

November 21, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  25. tumelo

i am a teacher by profession and used to teach in a dc public school. i truly felt i was the most stressed out teacher in the whole world. I hated my job, hated the school, even hated the kids coz they were so rude and unapreciative, the parents were the worst. well i prayed for a better job and now teach in a catholic school. i don't make much but my daughter goes to the same school i teach in and even though its a struggle to pay her tuition, i wouldn't dream of putting her in a public school. So people, the Obamas know exactly what they are doing and as loving and caring parents, they are doing what's best for their two great babies. Haters get over it. The safety and education of the kids comes first no matter what. DC schools are the worst in the country and I would have been disappointed if the Obamas put their kids in them just to 'please' haters like some of you.

November 21, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |