November 22nd, 2008

Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends

The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago
The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago

(CNN) – Obama spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter confirms to CNN the Obama daughters will attend Sidwell Friends school in Washington, DC.

"They looked at a lot of great schools but they felt Sidwell fit their best interests," spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter told CNN.

Chelsea Clinton also attended the school when her father was in the White House.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. drisboss

I worked at Sidwell Friends School and it is an excellent choice for the Obama girls. The emphasis on community service, self-reflection, human rights and academic excellence are a very good combination.

I also graduated from D.C. public schools. I have 2 children now in private school in D.C. I would never, ever send them to D.C. public schools. I will work 5 jobs before I allow my children into that school system because I know it is absolutely TERRIBLE – and that was years ago. I hear that it worse now!

November 21, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  2. Bob

Is this the change we can beleive in?
    Clinton?,Holder? etc...
    Give me a break....
    I think Obama started disappointing all of us...
    This is not change ,cheating the public..

Remember there is nother election in 4 years..

November 21, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. Ohio mom

Good for you Barack and Michelle Obama! You need to do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I hear it's a good school and your daughters deserve the best you can provide.

God bless you and your family.

November 21, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  4. jl

Its not elitist to chose a private school – and I think he IS thinking of others putting his daughters in a private school that specializes i dealing with children of politicans, diplomats and security issues. Could you imagine for one second if those girls did go to public school – what a logistic nightmare for an unprepared school. Taking time, energy & resources (which are sacrce) away from the students already there. It's a distraction the teachers, & students would have to deal with. In the private school – no one cares who their dad is – because they all come from similar backgrounds.

November 21, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  5. ETS

"Who shall judge the judges" Eli Weisel

Leave it alone let them have some space to breathe.

November 21, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  6. MIss Geek

Message boards really are an interesting barometer that measures the total ignorance of many of my fellow Americans. Anyone who thinks President-elect Obama should sacrifice his daughters safety in the name of "change" is outright ignorant. Choosing a school has NOTHING to do with running the country. People, for the love all that is holy, educate yourselves. There are a lot of current Senators who have their children in private schools, each with their own Secret Service detail. There are too many ignorant, psychotic, psychopaths out there just itching to wreak havoc on Senators families. Multiply that a million-fold for the newly elected, and black, First Family.

November 21, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  7. Mrs. H

Honestly, I can't imagine *anyone*–Republican or Democrat–*choosing* to send their children to public school. I do not like President-Elect Obama's politics, but, as a parent I see nothing wrong with putting your child into the best situation you can. That's why we homeschool. And it's legal in every state. We *all* have the choice to educate privately.

November 21, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  8. SMJ

I also am a public school teacher in FL. We rank 50th in the US thanks to our "wonderful" Governor Crist who is up for re-election in 2010 (can't wait). While there is nothing wrong w/public schooling, I agree that this was a wise choice for the safety of the children. I hope that Obama and his team can fix NCLB – because children are left behind every day. Teachers are overworked and underpaid – mainly because we not only have to teach...but we also have to parent. And from reading many of these posts, it's obvious to see why we have so many problems with our students. Apples don't fall too far from the trees. If you teach your children hatred and racism – they will bring it to school. Trust us...as teachers...we're doing our best to "change" them for you. You're welcome.

November 21, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  9. Dennis

It would be nice if everyone had the means to send their children to a private school. I'm in favor of limited government and of drastic reductions in the non defense Federal budget. The one worthwhile program the government should enact following the elimination of wasteful spending is a school voucher program. The public schools in our inner cities have a monopoly on providing education and they will NEVER improve until they have to compete with private schools to atttract students. The government should help fund a private school education for all those in need who want one for their children.

November 21, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  10. NJames

Safety of the kids has to come first. If that school provides the safest environment for his kids, great.

November 21, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  11. texas democrat

This is pure nonsense to think that they would not send the girls to a private school. And I want him to fix the country and put us on solid ground and I don't care who he finds to help him because we are in big trouble. Just stop being so judgmental and let the man do his job! I won't complain until after he has some time in the white house and nothing is getting done.

November 21, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  12. Lost in Texas

The Obama haters here will use ANYTHING to post their negative agenda and I knew for a fact if the Obamas put their girls in a private school they would come out crying about it. Well unlike the president and his wife I don't make $400.000 a year, BUT both of my kids are in a private school not for security but for the best education I can give them. If he had put his kids in a public school, then you haters would have complained that he doesn't care about the other children that are there and putiing them at risk just for the sake of his own. You people just need SOMETHING to hate on and I guess the internet and news sites like these are the only relief you get. Perhaps if you would read some of your posts before you hit SUBMIT you would see how silly it all sounds. Just shows me though how you anti-Obama folks view things and makes me happy your type will no longer be in charge of our nation.

November 21, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  13. Chris

Matthew from PA is right; the liberals need to stop being hypocrites and give the rest of us school vouchers/choice.

November 21, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  14. MDD

Not a bad thing at all to follow in Clinton's shoes...though I trust he's making the best decision that he and his wife think is best.

November 21, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  15. Kyle

All these people hating on the Obamas for this choice are probably the far right, rush limbaugh loving whack jobs who hated the President elect to begin with. And now they will use whatever they can to say something negative and hateful. I don't have kids. But If I did I would want them to go to the best school possible. And odds are, it's not a public school. So all those spewing hate, worry about your own kids. Then again, you probably don't have any.

November 21, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  16. Mike Dallas

Of course, it is about safety. The public school will have say 1000 students and private school maybe 300. Much easier to check 300 than 1000, not to mention the inconvenience for the extra students.

Also, Palin certainly did not do the safety issue any good with her hate speeches to whip the Klan into a frenzy.

November 21, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  17. Rob Sanders

Linda,
    I have one small question. Were your friends, either one, the president of the United States? Let's flip the script and you were in Obama's shoes, would you allow your kids to attend a public school....knowing the nut-cases that exists in this society? Let's be more logical in your thinking.

November 21, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  18. Aida

I suggest all the "negative hypocritics" go get a life!!
    A good parent is supposed to do what's best for their kids
    and it is entirely up to them to decide what school to send their kids!!
    He is not seeking public opinion from any of us...matter of fact he is not going to read this, get it? Use your time wisely folks!!!!!!

Yes, I said it – Hypo-Critics – new invention, go figure....

November 21, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  19. tammy

We will continue to be a divided nation if we take issues such as this and make them vindictive. I work in a public school and if I could afford it, I would send my children to a private school. Why not surround yourself with children who have caring, educated parents that emphasize education first rather than alot of ill mannered children whose parents don't have a clue as how to raise them and do not teach them some basic manners and respect. Let's focus on working together to heal the country, and let the first family get on with their life. Enough of extreme right wing politics!!!!!!!!!! Moderation is the key.

November 21, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  20. Evan Caster

Good choice. I am very happy for the girls and for those who do not agree I say who cares.
    People will never be happy anyway and they will always be ready to
    critize.
    GET A LIFE PEOPLE AND MIND YOUR BUSINESS!!!

November 21, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  21. Jeff Babe

Yeah. those girls should go to PUBLIC school and just carry a pistol...but what kind of PUPPY are they going to get???!!!
    I hope it's a Labradoodle. (irony)

Never mind that we are on the brink of NATIONAL ECONOMIC COLLAPSE, the country is at ENDLESS WAR, and this is the first generation of kids expected to have a higher HIGH-SCHOOL DROP OUT RATE and shorter life expectancy (due to OBESITY) than it's parents...THANKS GWB.

I challenge one angry REPUBLICAN on this thread to name a single President during the past 80 years that sent their kids to public school. Seriously, name one...

November 21, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  22. dave

My question is why do any of you care? During the campaign the kids were off limits (both sides) When did the kids become fair game?
    Back off, would you want others telling you how to raise your kids? Or use them for political proposes?

November 21, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  23. rm

The world is going to hell in a hand basket and you people are upset because of a school. No wonder my 401k Is shrinking. People get your priorities together.

November 21, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Tim stop being so sensitive – you sound pathetic. Chill out.

November 21, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  25. Benny in FL

It does not matter to me where their girls attend school. Safety is first before anything else. Besides they have the money to afford whatever school they would like their daughters to attend. Any wealthy person or at least one who can afford, will send their kids to the best school of their choice. THIS IS NOT ABOUT PLEASING THE PUBLIC, THIS IS ABOUT THEIR FAMILY PRIVATE LIFE AND WHAT FITS BEST FOR THEM RATHER THAN WHAT PEOPLE WILL SAY OR PERCEIVE.

Good luck to the Obamas!!

November 21, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |