November 22nd, 2008

Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends

The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago
The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago

(CNN) – Obama spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter confirms to CNN the Obama daughters will attend Sidwell Friends school in Washington, DC.

"They looked at a lot of great schools but they felt Sidwell fit their best interests," spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter told CNN.

Chelsea Clinton also attended the school when her father was in the White House.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Carrie

Honestly, it is none of anybody's business where the Parents Barack and Michelle Obama decide to send their kids to school. Whether it be based on academics, the nature of the school, security, whatever, IT DOES NOT MATTER. They made a decision as parents and everyone should respect it.

And please for those of you who call him a hypocrite for preaching about public schools and then deciding not to put his kids in one, let me remind you of Sarah Palin and the supposedly "moral" Republican values that she preaches when it comes to children, only to have her teenage daughter turn up pregnant.

November 21, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  2. dcgirl675

Why would we even care if the Obamas' send their kids to private school or not ? Its Barack and Michelle's choice and they do not have to explain to the public why. Let's just all be happy that the new President is slowly doing the transition with his personal life and his soon-to-be-job. I believe that the school choice should not be an issue at all because any caring parent would want the best for their kids.

I don't know anything about parenting as I am a single woman living in D.C. But here is what I can attest : my parents gave me the best education by sending me to an all-girls private school and it was the best gift I have ever gotten from them. Nope, we are not rich and I didn't have the best clothes, shoes and toys while growing up. But hey, it was that education that sent me here in the United States of America.

And to those who say that the Obama's are a hypocrite, I have one word for you : jealousy.

November 21, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  3. Whitney

I believe that they picked a great school. These are his children and the first thing is how will they be best protected. We are not talking about your average type of job he will be the President of the United States and the first thing crazy people want to do is go for the kids. This is not about politics it is about parents choosing the best education and protection for their children.
    As an educator, I wouldn't put my kids in my school if it was failing I would find the best school for them. So I say "You go OBAMA"S"!!

November 21, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  4. sophie johnson

how can they confirm that when they have not gone thru the application process.....the process is that parents and students are not told until March. This just confirms that the application to private schools is BS! This devaluates the Sidwell Friends education – any kid can get in as long as daddy is a big cheese...sad!

November 21, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  5. Joelle

Are some of you people serious about criticizing him for not sending his children to public school? It is absurd to think the choice to send those two girls to a public school where there would be 10 secret service agents following them around the entire day would be distracting and would affect your child's learning. This isn't a "liberal" choice. It's a parental decision. It has nothing to do with politics.
    Every single person on here who cares about their children would send them to the best school available republican, democratic and all the like. What you should concern yourself with is how to make your own child's education better by reading to them every night and ensuring they get their homework done. Help them to improve their grades and graduate from high school. Go to college so they have some sort of future to look forward too.
    Astonishing!

November 21, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  6. Sherrol in Canada

I would suggest that all and sundry visit the Sidwell Friends website and read their mission statement, then take a look at what's offered there. After indulging yourselves, sit back, reflect and absorb what you've read.

Now, did anything strike a familiar note? Did anything reflect the principles and beliefs of the man who is now the Pres-elect? I do think most of you feel after following him for 2yrs that you know a wee bit of what he stands for. Sidwell Friends sounds like the the mother of all schools, where a child can be moulded into a well rounded individual.

Why does it surprise you that a former Community Organizer (I say that respectfully), a true respector of all persons, would send his children to a school that is strong in teaching community service/involvement, plus a whole lot more??!!

November 21, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  7. good choice

This is definitely the safest thing. To all the critics, BTW, doesn't Obama support vouchers?

Would anyone criticizing the Obama's really not do a private school if they were such high profile people? He is trying to make his family safe, a process which is difficult because of the way he will be serving the country as President.

We should applaud him for not sacrificing his children's safety by putting them in a public school to make a political statement.

November 21, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  8. Kongo

Looks like BO is going for a Jimmy Carter, 4 and out.

November 21, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  9. JD Sailing

Come on now. Let's understand that any school system in this country can use some work, and updating. The fact that his children are attending a school with a level of protection is understanable. But, so many of you expect entitlements it sickens me.

I work five jobs, make a great income, and expect nothing less from any other american. If most Americans would stop pointing fingers, and point the finger at themselves, now that would be change.

The land of the free to criticize and find flaw, not what our founding fathers intended,.. work hard, be moral and ethical,.. and be nothing less than a supportive countrymen, this is what this country was founded for. Good Luck on them!

November 21, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  10. Mike Dallas

If he sent them to public schools and the taxpayers had to pick up the extra security cost, you ditto heads would be pissin' and moanin' about as well.

Just sit back and endure the next 8 years, we have already served our 8 year sentence. And for the record, the threats against Obama is the highest of any president and he is not even the president.

Some Christian values you repugs have on display.

November 21, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  11. Good Choice Obama's

Give me a break. It is a parent's choice where they want to send their children to school. This is America we do have those freedoms! Besides I think it would be impossible to send their children to public school because of security risks that are obviously much, much greater for these children simply because of who their dad is. It is time to act respectfully and back out of their private business. These girls did not run for office and they need to be allowed to live somewhat nornal lives, like pick what puppy they want, and name it what they want.

November 21, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  12. Nina in Orlando

Yeah, right, sure... Shame on Obama for wanting his daughters to receive the best education at a school that has experience with Presidential children. Yeah, what a jerk.

You people need to get a life. The Obamas can send their girls to any school they want!

November 21, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  13. Ab

You know what , why is it anyones busisness what school anyones kid go to. We have a bad economy, no jobs, two wars, and ure worrying about what school his daughters goes to , if u have two kids wont u want them to go to the best schools , this country does have a problems with winers, spoilt brats always complaining about stupid stuff

November 21, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  14. Anna

I agree Tim. I'm glad I voted for Obama but I'm glad that I didn't really label myself and Obama supporter per se. I am a democrat and I also felt he was the better candidate. But at this rate I think I would be embarrased if I had been an Obama supporter after seeing how many of them are ready to jump ship over something so personal for him and his family. Just goes to show how fickle political supporters are I guess.

November 21, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  15. Jeff

It's funny reading some of the people's posts. There are so many ignorant comments on here. People that think Obama is not bringing about change because he is sending his daughters to a private school is completely ridiculous. I am a teacher in a public school, and I completely support his decision. He is concerned for their safety as he should be. Anybody who thinks Obama is not bringing about change because of his daughters school choice or thinks he is hypocritical is a complete fool, and it scares me to know that you people are probably registered voters. No wonder we have such a terrible President right now.

November 21, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  16. ceomomof2

I swear some of you people need to petition the Wizard of Oz for a brain.

Because the Obama's chose one of the best private schools in the area, he's "following the Clintons"?? He should spend the next 4-8 years working to improve the quality of life for Americans while sending his own children to one of the worst public school systems in the country?? He should work hard to keep Americans safe from terrorist attacks, but he should put his own flesh & blood in harms way by sending them to a public school in a less than ideal environment?? Parents who love their children choose schools based on academics, safety, and reputation. Does that change because one is elected President? Clearly some of you could have benefited from an education at Sidwell Friends. Oh well, there's always the Wizard!

November 21, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  17. noah

I just want to state this....As a public school teacher...Public schools in the DC area are the worse in the US. I do not understand how that simple fact has never been mentioned,so before everyone begins to throw stones, please do research. It is not "hypocritical" of President Obama to have placed his daughters in a private school; I'm sure Obama would have placed his daughters in public schools if there were public schools that were suitable for his children. The fact is that the public schools in the DC area lack safety for students & staff, resources and are federally underfunded. President Obama & First Lady Obama made the best decision considering what the caliber of school choices they had.

November 21, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  18. mattie wallace

WHO DO YOU PEOPLE THINK YOU ARE! thank GOD the PRESIDENT ELECT put his precious little ANGEL'S IN PRIVATE SCHOOL, if you people thought for one minute, that MICHELLE OBAMA was going to leave her two children out in the open, then you should think again, these are two little AFRICAN AMERICAN LITTLE GIRL'S, and they have to have protection day in and day out, and people can you tell me why? well the answer is, for the first time in AMERICA, A AFRICAN AMERICAN man, had the AUDACITY, to run for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATE'S OF AMERICA, and he won fair and square, he stayed in the race, in spite of the opposition, and now some people can't wait to tear him down, and it's DEMOCRAT'S AT THAT! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOUR SELVE'S! because i am! you want the PRESIDENT ELECT to put his children in harm's way, just to prove to you, that he is sincere about CHANGE!!

November 22, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  19. Independent for Obama

What I do not understand is why this should be an issue. The Obama girls have always attended PRIVATE SCHOOL even back in Chicago. Why should they change that just because they are going into the White House? Anybody who is thinking otherwise is simply just NUTS are Absolutely Illiterate and Illinformed when it comes to the Obamas. Obama attended Havard, and Michelle went to Preston and Havard, where do you think their kids should go?

November 22, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  20. Steve Courton

Money won't solve public school problem. DC schools spend more per student than 99.9% of districts but one of worst. Problem is the attitude that ALL students must be educated in inner city, even those who don't try and terrorize the students and teachers. Just educate the ones who want to learn and put the trouble makers in daytime detention. That way those who want to be something besides gangsters can get a good education. We can't save the bad ones so why allow then to drag down the rest?

November 22, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  21. Craig

Amazing – Tuition for the two girls will be almost $60,000 – are public schools not good enough? Security could be put in place I am sure. Obamas will only make $400,000 a year before taxes so that is a lot of money to be spending. Already the Obama's do not look like the people who elected them. So typical of Washington Politics. Good bye common folk – hear come the rich Obamas.

November 22, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  22. Wayne ( Canada )

Excellent choice aand the only choice. safety is also a big factor here.

November 22, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  23. William A. Schaedler from St. Louis

If his daughters are as stupid as he is they only need to learn how to empty bedpans in a hospital or take an order at a fast food restaurant. Sending them to a private school is a waste of the taxpayers money.

November 22, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  24. Joann

There is nothing wrong with the President of the U.S. sending his kids to a private school. This is a security issue. I think he and his wife are doing the right thing. Leave the kids alone.

November 22, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  25. Christine

So many ignorant people – if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Support our President-Elect or leave the country.

November 22, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |