November 22nd, 2008

Obama daughters to attend Sidwell Friends

The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago
The Obama girls on their way to school in Chicago

(CNN) – Obama spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter confirms to CNN the Obama daughters will attend Sidwell Friends school in Washington, DC.

"They looked at a lot of great schools but they felt Sidwell fit their best interests," spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter told CNN.

Chelsea Clinton also attended the school when her father was in the White House.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Anonymous

He is for the poor, yet he opposes vouchers that would help poor people get their children out of a broken school system and give them a better chance in life. I don't blame him for doing the right thing for his children, but it just proves his hypocrisy.

November 22, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  2. Stu-Florida

PE Obama:
    Be prepared... if you fail to prepare,
    prepare to fail...

I'm thankful we chose a President who not only prepares himself and his family, but who prepares US for the future... the great future of America!

November 22, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  3. Anthony

You people crack me up. This is the Presidents children that we are talking about here. Do you really expect them to go to public school when thier father is the leader of the most powerful country on earth. I support the OBAMA's in thier decision on this. He has great plans for the country...lets let him protect his family. Let him and Michelle make thier own decisions when it comes to family matters.

November 22, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  4. julesverne

why is this important???????????? the economy is in bad shape, we are at war, bin laden has not been captured, major u.s. companies are asking and getting bail outs, unemployment is at an all time high, education is in bad shape, cops don't have enough money to fight the bad guys and ALL WE CAN FIND TO TALK ABOUT IS WHAT SCHOOL THE OBAMA CHILDREN ARE GOING TO... WHO CARES...............................................

November 22, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  5. charlie from OH

this isnt about the obamas its about how pathetic public schools are and how the teachers unions have made them that way. and how liberals are against school choice.

the left fights global warming, the right fights evil.

November 22, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  6. Bill

First, way is this news? Why are we looking to attack a man on his family's private decisions? During the campaign both McCain and Obama made a pledge to not do this, well the campaign is over...HERE WE Go!OH WOW! A President is sending his children to a private school? Why is there such anger at this?As a public school teacher I understand the discission for wanting a smaller school with a more controlled environment for his daughters.This is a school that for his daughters SASFETY is the best fit. What is the size of this school in comparison to the public schools in the DC area? Think about it, with the Obama kids there, the safety of all children is at risk. In my discussions, I find the people most upset with this decision are those who support(ed) Bush's illegal and immoral war; which the 2 month cost of would cover the cost of completely rebuilding every school in the US and beginning an overhaul of the US Education system. LETS get back to our real focus the economy and the wars in Iraq and Afganistan, LEAVE THE GIRLS ALONE!

November 22, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  7. Walt, Belton,TX

Ah, Change. Nothing is too good for the ruling elite, except change!

November 22, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  8. Carl from Atlantic City

I don't blame Obama for choosing to go outside the public school system to educate his daughters– public education is abyssmal. I just don't understand why he won't let those of us with less means than him and Michelle do the same thing with a sensible voucher system. The unchecked power of bloated union/lobbies, like the teachers' union, is very troubling, inhibits progress, and really seems like is a threat to our democracy.

November 22, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  9. James of N.Va.

Their choice of school is not a positive or negative issue with people of rational thought. I am happy they chose a school with an excellent perspective and a focus on the education and well being of it's students above all else. As has become expected with the Obama's they were thorough in the process and the outcome was thoughful and deserved. It's great to have intelligent and rational people representing our country and the DC area.

November 22, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  10. sarah

WOW. The man of "change" has taken the old predictable routes of elitists all over the country, from his administration picks right down to his kid's education. What a joke...how can anyone believe anything that comes out of his mouth? Another question...how is it that Biden and Obama able to pay for these expensive schools? Hmmmm.

November 22, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  11. Get a life

The best part about this comment thread, is that there are less then 5 (that I found at least) comments with a negative tone in respect to Obama's daughters attending private school. The other 180 responses are expressing outrage at all the people who have a problem with them going to private school, kind of funny. Anyway, who cares where the kids go to school, who cares what he eats for dinner, who cares what Michelle wears, WHO CARES!? He should be in the news only for pointing out potential injustices against the American people, or to explain policies, plans, and what he and his team are working on.

November 22, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  12. how about my kids, uh?

they are NOT as precious as Obama kids?

MAKE THE PUBLIC SCHOOL GOOD ENOUGH TO SEND PRESIDENT'S KIDS!

until then, Obama's no better than any self-serving elitist.

November 22, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  13. FAYE, NV

I am glad the Obama family found a school the girls would be comfortable in and safe.

November 22, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  14. THE END OF AMERICA by OBAMA

Did anyone really think these two things would go to a public school. Get real.

November 22, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  15. Charles

My God, how can people criticize the man over what school he sends his daughters to? Give me a break! People are just so evil and vitriolic they have to find any outlet they can to criticize the President elect. It's disgusting

November 22, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  16. How super-duper interesting

Oh good – now I can sleep at night.

BUT – what will the media report on now? "Will the Obamas choose Charmin Ultra Soft or Ultra Strong"... All these important decisions!

November 22, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  17. lizzy

ceomomof2.....you are too funny.....great post and right on target!

November 22, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  18. rules is rules

If he did not choose private school, I would question his judgement to be commander in chief. It was obviously the correct decision.

November 22, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  19. Dylan, Los Angeles

Yes...please enough already give them some privacy. What does it matter anyways where they are sent to school.

November 22, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  20. A Canuck

The Obama girls went to private school in Chicago......why should they change to a public school now?? ....Especially needing more security now that their father is the President..... Smarten up people !!!

November 22, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  21. Stop!

First of all, I am an African American woman who sacrificed for 7 years to send my daughter to Christian private school. It wasn't easy being that when my daughter first started, I was only making $8.00 and hour and my husband the same.

It was my husband and I who felt this was the best for our child. We gave up new cars, buying new furnature, indulging in credit cards and etc. so that we can afford to pay for my daughter's education. I refused to put her in the public school in my area knowing that the school district was horrible.

If you sacrifice, you could also send you child to private school for those who are suggesting that the Obamas are the only one's who can do it.

It is your choice, it is Obama's choice, it is my choice and you don't have to like it. I totally agree witht the Obamas. Your negative comments are not going the change the outcome so you might as well call it a day.

November 22, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  22. SHAME

I cannot tell you how pleased I am. I have been concerned for this family from day one. Read some of the comments here and you will understand why. Though I agree with Celeste I myself had to make a comment. How dare some of you make a political issue out of a personal decision? These children deserve to be safe and receive a quality education, just like any other american chiild.

SHAME ON YOU FOR CRITICIZING AND SHOWING YOUR HOSTILITY TOWARD TWO CHILDREN ("CAUSE REALLY THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE DOING). NASTY AND MEAN IS WHAT YOU ARE AND AGAIN, THE REASON I AM CONCERNED FOR THIS FAMILY.

I still have every confidence that PE Obama will lead this country, successfully, out of this mess we are in and though it will be difficult, he and his team are the ones that can make it happen.

November 22, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  23. Bay Area

matt said... "Who the hell cares. Instead of these stupid articles where's our fearless leader during this time of crisis."

In the White House... doing nothing.

Who cares? – evidently tons of people, and glad to see the new White House residents will be loving, caring parents.

November 22, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  24. Bridget

CNN has managed to prove that CHELSEA is more important than First Lady Michelle Obama's children!!!!!!!!!!

Shame on you CNN keeping this open for 700 plus comments!
    Why are the children of President Obama not getting the respect and privacy that was given to Chelsea during the campaign??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

November 22, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  25. ron

why would he put his girls in a public school. He is the POUS putting them into a public school would be irresponsible.

November 22, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |