November 22nd, 2008

Why's Bobby Jindal in Iowa?

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal heads to the state that kicks off the presidential primary season.

(CNN) - Bobby Jindal's in Iowa today. Louisiana's Governor will make a stop in Cedar Rapids to tour some of the damage from devastating floods earlier this year. He'll also participate in a fundraiser with some of the victims from the flooding. Tonight Jindal heads to Des Moines, where he's the keynote speaker at a fundraising dinner for the Iowa Family Policy Center's "Celebrating the Family" banquet, a major Christian conservative event.

Jindal's considered by many in the Republican party to be a rising star and his trip to Iowa, the state that kicks off the presidential primary season, is raising speculation that he might be interested in making a bid for the Republican Presidential Nomination in 2012. But Jindal says such talk is misplaced and that he has no plans to make a run for the White House.

Jindal was a Congressman from Louisiana's first congressional district when he was elected the state's governor in 2007. At 36, he became the youngest current governor in the country. Jindal was born in Louisiana to parents who immigrated from India.

There was speculation this past summer that Jindal was, among others, in consideration for the Republican vice presidential nomination. In late July Jindal squashed such talk, saying he would not be the GOP vice presidential nominee. John McCain eventually picked another GOP governor, Sarah Palin of Alaska, as his running mate.

Filed under: Bobby Jindal • Iowa
  1. happy thanksgiving

in my opinion john mccain and the republican party wish a thousand times over that they would have chosen JINDAL.

November 22, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. Lorenzo Atlanta Georgia

Please no fallin palin. I had enough of that woman.

November 22, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  3. Mary

Dems – we need to worry about this guy. He's good.

November 22, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  4. Utahn

This guy next to Obama there are no differences, although Obama is democrat.. he is smart, talented, outspoken, ambitious and very knowledgeable,..also has a pretty good story and culturalk background..

November 22, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  5. Brian NYC

Bring it Bobbie!!!!

November 22, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  6. no chance as republican

bobby, change into democrat,

and you'll get my vote!

you're too smart to be republican,

unless you're one of those lying thugs in GOP.

November 22, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  7. Joe, Florida

you know, the more I see the "possible" GOP candidates; the more convinced I am that Obama will stay there for 8 years. That's if he doesn't do some stupid; yet he's proven to be extremely careful with nearly everything he says or does, so I think he's holding his own pretty well.

Regarding the vetting process; I'm very glad it's tough. These are very powerful positions, they are part of a historic administration (for better or for worse). If they want to be a part of it, then they're gonna have to open their closets wide. I don't blame Obama for doing this; he should know who he's going to be working with; I think it makes good sense.

November 22, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  8. Jeanne Bean

I'm from Iowa. Please give us a break. Do NOT start any campaign here at this time. We have to endure this longer than anyone. NOW is not the time to start.

November 22, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  9. Minigoma

Who cares?

November 22, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  10. Iron Celt

Yes, hopefully Jindal, with his degree in public policy (with honors) from Brown Univ., will overshadow Palin. I would rather have a smart and sophisticated thinker rather than a smartly dressed beauty queen running the country.

November 22, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  11. Ryan across the river

Uh, because our politicians in this counrty are more iterested in reelection/election of higher office than solving problems of their current job. I hope that he continues the progress made in NO, such a beautiful city and one of the great American cities.

November 22, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  12. Mike in Toronto

Unlike Palin, this guy can actually string a complete sentence together. The Republicans could use a fresh face, and mind, like his. Hope he can push Palin off stage and manages to get some national exposure.

November 22, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  13. Charles

Does this mean the 2012 presidential race is starting already? Why not fix the country first!

November 22, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  14. facts are facts

The GOP just doesn't get it. The religious right is an anchor around their neck. People just had 8 years of faith based politics and it ended up being the worst administration ever bar none.

November 22, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  15. Franky

You know, I like Gov Jindal. He's a calm and patient Gov. Not in no rush, and not in no hurry and I think that suits him well. Also, I think he's very, very poised compared to other GOP members..

I would bet my money on Gov Jindal if he decides to make a run and I will tell you right now based on odds, he will be one of the leading favorites to win the nomination. But that's just based so far and everything is subject to change after a copuple of years...

November 22, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  16. Robert Green

I wish these guys would wait just a little bit before being so ambitious. The reason this last election got started so early was becasue the public basically called for it–they were so tired of Bush. If this keeps up, there will be a whole element of people listening to "shadow governments" while awaiting for their particular candidate to take power. This is exactly how you start a coup.

November 22, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  17. Al

Mmmm because he likes snow?

November 22, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  18. loic From Lbv

before going around campaining for 2012, please Gov. go around Louisina fisrt, doing the job you were elected to do. don't you think so?

November 22, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  19. change has come

you really think the GOP is gonna put an indian man on there ticket?? come on....look what they try to do to obama...and he's half black.

November 22, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  20. Rhiannon

Bobby Jindal is the best new face of the Republican party, and it's future, if it has any sense (which I don't care about 'cause I am a yellow dog Democrat). He is an example of the only way the the Center Right country will elect candidates of the new century. Rabid right-wing nut jobs like Palin and has beens like Newt Gingrich who are still trying to sell the tired, divisive ideology of the '80 are not the future of the party. Jindal seems so far to be a thinking Republican (Is this an oxymoron?) and one that Democrats can respect and work with. I like him so far and that is saying a lot. I haven't liked a Republican since Gerry Ford.
    Little Rock, AR

November 22, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  21. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Bobby Jindal Bobby Shmindal!

No matter who the GOP parades out Obama will crush 'em!

November 22, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  22. Br

Can Bobby Jindal stop Mayor Bloomberg from increasing the fares on buses and subways ?

November 22, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  23. Jay Bonez

I usually vote Democrat and do not really follow the Republican Party, but, I think this young man from Louisiana could be the next face of the GOP. If he turns out to be decent, I think the GOP should let him rise in the ranks in his party because as of right now, the Repubs have an identity crisis. The GOP needs a guy like this.

November 22, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  24. Rob

Great–the male sarah Palin .

November 22, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  25. Xavier

Adriana wrote:
    "I believe Bobby Jindal would be an EXCELLENT choice for a new leader of the Republican Party. The Repubs need a person like him, who is very intelligent, grounded, and capable of moving the party forward! Further, Jindall is very mature beyond his years! And he is young enough to inspire the younger generation as well as bring motivation to the older generation! All positive attributes! It's good to hear he is in Iowa, today!"

I agree with her. Palin's peopie will destroy him in the primaries by exhibiting the fact that he doesn't look like us therefore he can not truly represent us. Only this time unlike McCain her message will not be restrained.

November 22, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |