November 24th, 2008

Obama names his economic team, led by Geithner

Obama officially named his economic team Monday (from left: Geithner, Romer and Summers).

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – President-elect Barack Obama named key members of his administration's economic team Monday, including New York Federal Reserve President Timothy Geithner as his Treasury Secretary nominee and former Harvard President Lawrence Summers as the director of the National Economic Council.

Obama's announcement was scheduled just hours after the federal government announced a massive rescue package for Citigroup – which President Bush said he'd spoken with Obama about before it was announced.

Mission No. 1 over the next few weeks for Obama's economic team will be hammering out the details of what the president-elect described this weekend as a two-year economic recovery plan intended to create 2.5 million jobs.

Full story

Filed under: Obama transition
  1. David in Dallas

This should be a fundamental answer to the critics who say that some of Obama's picks don't represent enough of the change he promised in the election.

The area where we most need change–the economy–is where Obama is tossing out the Washington insiders and tapping the nation's economic intelligencia.

I have no illusions–things aren't going to turn around in the next several months. I'm also sure that Obama will identify some areas that aren't going as well as planned and correct them, because unlike Bush, he's married to results instead of ideology. His picks show that.

In the end, I am confident that Obama can rebuild in 4 years what Bush destroyed in 8.

November 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  2. Mike Dallas

Now, if the shrub will just resign on 12.15,08 there may still be time to avoid financial armagedden!

November 24, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  3. No Hillary = No Obama

As Obama builds his "brain trust" because he has to have "the best people", let's see if this makes any difference at all. It looks to me as if he has to shore himself up which is why he went with Clinton vets. When all is said and done, it will be the Clinton's running the country.

November 24, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. xargaw

The country is in the biggest mess of our lives. We have a chance to dig ourselves out over a long period or time. This is a good start; at last a smart President that has chosen smart people instead of political hacks.

November 24, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. Tom in Delaware

Ah! The birth of Socialism.

Start spreadin' the weatlh...it's handout time!

November 24, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  6. nom deplume

That's nice. Now I am naming my economic team–bankers in the Cayman Islands. Obama can't tax what he can't reach.

November 24, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. AJ

God bless you, PE Obama!

November 24, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. happy thanksgiving

obama, americas future, God bless him.

November 24, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  9. Laverne

Good Job President elect Obama! I know you will make our country proud no matter what the nutty right wing say and a few nutty dems too!

November 24, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  10. Pamela from Oceanside, Ca

Why is she still in the news? Go away Sarah. I'm tired of hearing anything about you. Please go be a hockey mom from Alaska and be a much needed mother to your underage pregnant daughter. How does that work out for ya?

November 24, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  11. Rich

I did not vote for him but I wish him the best of luck in his administration. I will stand by him and support him in his presidency. This is what makes America great.

November 24, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  12. mitch

with all the clintons and former republicans i aint seein much 'hope' for 'change'.

November 24, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. Rorschach

Try to imagine how this scenario would be unfolding if Sarah Palin were the president-elect....

November 24, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  14. Califorinan_96

Well done President elected BARAK OBAMA,

that what the US needs right now.

November 24, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  15. Pamela from Oceanside, Ca

I'm sorry Obama. My comment was meant for the Sarah Palin piece.

November 24, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  16. Peter

Sara brings dialogue to the table.
    As governor, she worked with BOTH sides of the aisle.

The politicians and the MSM bring debate.
    They are not intellectually equiped to manage maturity.

Dialogue is harder but requires more intelligence and maturity.

thank you Sara.

P.S.

Whoever is reading this at CNN and will not allow this comment to be viewed (like the last one I submitted) is practicing censorship. I thought that liberals and progressives defended free speech not obstructed it. Are you afraid of a point of view that is different than your own? Is that the definition of "bias"?

November 24, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  17. Califorinan_96

Well done! President elected BARAK OBAMA,
    That is what the US and the whole world needs right now.

November 24, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  18. Niky

Let the magic begin!

November 24, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  19. Citizen from NY

Considering that I believe the "Clinton era" was a very prosperous one for us, I also believe Obama's picking a lot of Clinton people to come onboard his Cabinet is our best shot in our financial recovery. I believe creating jobs to salvage our infrastructure is a necessity, and I believe we should repeal or drastically rewrite NAFTA and abandon similar agreements, like CAFTA. We gotta take care of home first!

November 24, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  20. alana

I’m pleased with the thoughtfulness of Obama’s appointments.
    I only hope he does not give any thought to those who will not be
    happy unless to appoints Palin and or Joe the non plumber.

Change does not mean incompetence!!

November 24, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  21. Franky

Come on guys, hook me on this one! This will be my biggest prediction since I called the undefeated season for the Pats! I don't know but I think I'm gonna start sending bills now since I'm beginning to realize that we still have money...hey, is also hard work too! LOL!!

November 24, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  22. Tim in Wa.

Cue the typical republican reaction of "that's not change" in 3...2....1....

November 24, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  23. Citizen from NY

P.S. While I did not vote for Pres. Elect Obama, I must say I am impressed with his team picks so far. He just may wind up being the best thing that has happened to this Country in a long, long while.

November 24, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  24. Woe

Now look at this man named Obama Republicans, he has done more as a President Elect in 3 weeks than "W" has done in 8 years as this countries failing President.

Oh and I hope all you Penticostal Evangelicals Baptist Mormons are happy. You got just what you wanted out of Bush, Suffering and Gnashing of teeth. Stop "acting" in the name of God.

November 24, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  25. Phil, Ashburn, VA

He is puting together the best of the best. I am hopefull about the next 4 years.

November 24, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |